PDA

View Full Version : King of the Hill

cornflake
02-24-2018, 09:43 AM
It may just be me and kj in this thread nattering on for all eternity and debating the merits of surreal delusional pork magnate kidnapper vs. Sunshine doing an interpretive dance and the glory of the return of Appleseed, and throwing Peggy quotes back and forth but there may be others!

A thread for the underrated, unappreciated, wonderful, complex, hilarious, deep, show brought to you by the folks who later brought you the American version of The Office (especially Toby Flenderson).

Peggy, the boy!

Because I challenge you with my intellectual. <--- my fave Luanne quote.

Cyia
02-24-2018, 09:59 AM
I really wanted an episode where Dale (who was honestly the worst of the worst) saved Arlen from aliens, but being Dale, no one else ever saw them or believed they existed.

Whataburger for everyone, I tell you what.

cornflake
02-24-2018, 12:24 PM
I really wanted an episode where Dale (who was honestly the worst of the worst) saved Arlen from aliens, but being Dale, no one else ever saw them or believed they existed.

Whataburger for everyone, I tell you what.

Heh that'd have been cool -- like Buckley's ghost.

Except Dale was not the worst of the worst! I have a sorta soft spot for Dale; naive, dopey Dale. He loved his family.

Nancy, on the other hand, was the worst. :)

I'm assuming we're talking about Raney St., and Cotton is accepted to be the worst of the worst by default in a grander sense.

Cyia
02-24-2018, 03:32 PM
To be fair, they were all pretty bad, except maybe Khanni.

Maggie Maxwell
02-24-2018, 05:27 PM
KotH was definitely underappreciated. One of the few "family" cartoons that showed a healthy family dynamic in the main cast. Yes, they were flawed people, but they truly loved each other and themselves and did what was best for each other, ultimately propping each other up instead of tearing down like other shows that need not be named here.

Also Boomhauer.

Kjbartolotta
02-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Must have died in my sleep and when I woke up AW was heaven :)

ETA: and not to derail a derail but is anyone watching Tarantula? Seems to take a lot from KoH deliberately, including writers, producers, and voice actors. You can't miss Ashley Clarke.

Kjbartolotta
02-24-2018, 06:54 PM
Everyone's pretty flawed at times, I don't know if anyone is meant to be just horrible and everyone has both moments of idiocy and ennobling characteristics. Even Nancy. Even Cotton. Dale's a surprisingly good man, our definition of what a conspiracy theorist is has shifted a bit since it was on the air. And it was a pretty understated show, but it could definitely dip into weirdness and WTFery rather adroitly (the dolphin). It certainly had its cringe-worthy moments (also the dolphin), but a lot of the Red State humor also made me laugh pretty heartily too. There was always the way you could respect Hank in his views, and sometimes even gain wisdom from him, but at the end of the episode he wasn't always the one who was right.

I think it's the best show ever by far. And the sheer number of issues that it covered, in intelligent and thoughtful ways, is astonishing. One closest to my heart is the one where all the hipsters are moving in and forcing out the families. And that was, like, ten years ago. And I love Enrique.

And Kahn was a very interesting character, he was a jerk and stayed a jerk, but became the unofficial fifth member of the gang. And you spend a lot of time getting to understand him, the episode where he becomes a redneck was pretty darn insightful.

Redneck: I do what I damn want, with who I damn want, when I damn want
Kahn: Wow, you sure say damn a lot.
Redneck: Hell yeah!

Hands down my favorite character will always be Peggy.

Peggy: You cannot save a man from drowning, Hank. If there's one thing YWCA camp taught me, it's that.

And so on. I live here now. I've found my home.

cornflake
02-24-2018, 08:45 PM
Oh, I forgot the hipster/real estate episode, that one is hilarious (and yeah, pretty prescient) --

There's SALMON in the fish tacos, Hank! Salmon!

Is everyone a DJ?

I also like the dolphin one, for a lot of reasons. I like the Luanne/Hank dynamic in it, that she tries so to get him a gift and can't see the obvious, and that he tries so to be grateful about it; that that is a thing that has actually happened, with the dolphin; the slippers and the capers.

Also, "I never get brunch."

I remember reading some article about KotH a while ago and I think it was Greg Daniels who said that the line, 'the day before Thanksgiving is, in my opinion, one of the worst travel days of the year," was something they came up with early on (the ep was written early even if not shot til later), and that totally cemented Peggy as a character for them.

I dunno who my fave character is, maybe Luanne.

Really never liked Lucky at all.

I'm so excited other people watch(ed)!

Fave eps/worst eps?

My faves include --

Lucky Steaks (the one with the organic Co-op -- Cornuco-opia, :D)
Dream Weaver (the one where Dale and Hank go on a vo-cation to weave baskets)
Not in my Back Hoe (the one with Drew Carey as Hank's new friend Hal)
The one where Bill picks stocks, can't remember the name
The one where the guys stow away on the truck taking the furniture to Hank's mom at xmas and Luanne is back home with Peggy writing the xmas hit
The one where Hank takes his mom and her friends to look at the miniatures (I'm always there for Betty White, but that whole ep is good)

Ones I don't love --

The Pork producer who tries to brainwash/turn Luanne into the girl on the package
The one where they all get lice from Bill and Hank realizes he has the tattoo
The one with Dale's car in the quarry
The one where Bobby makes meth with Connie's cousin
Dale's dad is a gay rodeo star

cornflake
02-24-2018, 08:51 PM
KotH was definitely underappreciated. One of the few "family" cartoons that showed a healthy family dynamic in the main cast. Yes, they were flawed people, but they truly loved each other and themselves and did what was best for each other, ultimately propping each other up instead of tearing down like other shows that need not be named here.

Also Boomhauer.

The Boomhauer reveal with his wallet at Lucky and Luanne's wedding was one of the true tv spit-take moments for me in like, life. I think that was so perfect and hilarious and subtle.

I also love how he sings perfectly clearly.

And yes -- they're characters and to a point caricatures but close ones, relatable ones, and for all their flaws they did love each other and try and have real relationships and fight and have to make up and stuff in very real ways and I loved it. The Hank/Bobby dynamic is very multilayered in such a true way.

mrsmig
02-24-2018, 08:55 PM
Thinking about Lucky and Luanne made me remember who originally voiced them.

Now I has a sad. :cry:

Cyia
02-24-2018, 08:59 PM
I think my favorite line was in the "Arlentown" episode where Hank stops to help the adult film stars whose car's stopped on the side of the road. The car's got engine trouble, but they tried to fix it by changing the tire and Hank tells Peggy they can't leave the couple there because "they tried to fix an engine by changing a tire -- they'll die."

I grew up in north Texas, and I can tell you exactly where the "not set anywhere" show is supposed be taking place. I know multiples of all those characters -- I'm related to some of them. I can almost guarantee you that the "Hank joins the country club" episode was based on something that happened locally. My hometown had a golf course they wanted PGA rated, but it was attached to a country club that wasn't exactly what you'd call diverse. Per PGA regulations, they had to desegregate the country club to get their rating. That episode aired within a year, and they somehow managed to frame the same situation in way that came off as humorous.

I think if they'd ever made a live action version, they could have just transplanted the comedians who travel with Jeff Foxworthy to play the characters, then add in a couple of southern actors.

Hank -- Bill Ingvall
Dale -- Jeff Foxworthy
Bill -- Larry the Cable Guy
Boomhauer -- Owen Wilson
Cotton -- Leslie Jordan

etc, etc, etc.

cornflake
02-24-2018, 09:12 PM
Thinking about Lucky and Luanne made me remember who originally voiced them.

Now I has a sad. :cry:

I often have a melancholy moment thinking about her. I saw some of her movies, loved her in Clueless, but I do love Luanne and I was very sad when she died.

It also, every time I'm like 'hey, revivals, what's Greg Daniels and Toby doing...' makes me think, 'but... Luanne, so no...'

I had no idea there were things based in reality! I mean the dolphin thing but that's a general thing not a like, local to Texas specific thing. I'm all gobsmacked now.

I think part of the attraction for me is that I don't know those characters at all; they're not like any people I know, thus there's extra fascination.

Kjbartolotta
02-24-2018, 11:14 PM
I get really sad thinking about Britney Murphy, because it was clear there were troubles in her life (and I suspect being a young woman in Hollywood had something to do with it). The show was the one stable thing she had, it gave her a paycheck, a place she needed to be part of the year, and the ability to actually play a character she clearly loved and was invested in. I think losing that may have been harmful to her :tinfoil hat:

I think my favorite line was in the "Arlentown" episode where Hank stops to help the adult film stars whose car's stopped on the side of the road. The car's got engine trouble, but they tried to fix it by changing the tire and Hank tells Peggy they can't leave the couple there because "they tried to fix an engine by changing a tire -- they'll die."

I grew up in north Texas, and I can tell you exactly where the "not set anywhere" show is supposed be taking place. I know multiples of all those characters -- I'm related to some of them. I can almost guarantee you that the "Hank joins the country club" episode was based on something that happened locally. My hometown had a golf course they wanted PGA rated, but it was attached to a country club that wasn't exactly what you'd call diverse. Per PGA regulations, they had to desegregate the country club to get their rating. That episode aired within a year, and they somehow managed to frame the same situation in way that came off as humorous.

Harlottown is another all timer. But I think every episode post season two is my favorite. I heard they did field trips to Texas every year to get it right and accurately represent it (YMMV, Texans).

BenPanced
02-25-2018, 01:10 AM
Another one I'd tried watching several times and it didn't hook me. Gave up after about three tries.

Maggie Maxwell
02-25-2018, 01:26 AM
Fave eps/worst eps?

I couldn't tell you episode names at this point. More than anything, I remember moments. My favorite/most memorable is probably the episode where Bobby starts growing roses. It's a really sweet father/son episode with some great moments in humor and emotion. Other top ones are Peggy teaching sex ed, Peggy rocking Luanne's DeeDee's baby after Peggy broke everything skydiving, and Hank and co tearing down the McMansion in the storm.

Kjbartolotta
02-25-2018, 01:45 AM
Peggy rocking Luanne's baby after Peggy broke everything skydiving.

That was a really emotional episode, I'm still impressed by it. IIRC that was actually Cotton and DeeDee's baby/Hank's brother. I liked how in the next episode Cotton teaches Peggy to walk again. He hated Peggy exactly as much as he said he did, but I think she was the only person he respected.

Maggie Maxwell
02-25-2018, 02:15 AM
That was a really emotional episode, I'm still impressed by it. IIRC that was actually Cotton and DeeDee's baby/Hank's brother. I liked how in the next episode Cotton teaches Peggy to walk again. He hated Peggy exactly as much as he said he did, but I think she was the only person he respected.

Right, right. I thought I was wrong about Luanne, but I couldn't remember WHOSE kid it was. You're absolutely right, I think.

Cyia
02-25-2018, 02:20 AM
I can tell you one episode I didn't like - that was the one with all the country music stars, where Peggy "poisoned" Brooks & Dunn, annoyed the entire campsite with her "Spagpeggi," and found out that Randy Travis stole her song.

Kjbartolotta
02-25-2018, 02:26 AM
Right, right. I thought I was wrong about Luanne, but I couldn't remember WHOSE kid it was. You're absolutely right, I think.

I think. :D Though it being Hank's brother makes it a lot weirder.

I can tell you one episode I didn't like - that was the one with all the country music stars, where Peggy "poisoned" Brooks & Dunn, annoyed the entire campsite with her "Spagpeggi," and found out that Randy Travis stole her song.

I actually don't like the very last episode, when Kahn's off his meds. I mean, its funny, but that a pretty messed up and inaccurate depiction of how being bipolar works. Other than that, I'm good with all of it, never quite got into the episodes where a PC outsider comes to town and divides the community with big city talk (there are plenty of these, usually the point they're making is more subtle than it first appears, but not always).

cornflake
02-25-2018, 02:28 AM
Kj is definitely correct -- that's a two-parter; Peggy and Hank go sky-diving in part because she's upset about Cotton and DeeDee having a baby when she wants another (and that's eventually why she decides to jump, when she hears DeeDee is in labour).

cornflake
02-25-2018, 02:30 AM

Oh I kind of love that one because the whole thing is so set up to show off Peggy's uhm, high self-esteem, and then it turns out Randy Travis is actually a song-stealing loony tune.

I'm not a fan of the Willy Nelson episode though; it's just boring.

tiddlywinks
02-25-2018, 05:46 AM
Bwahaha, I miss that show.

This summer, my husband and I got into an argument about propane versus charcoal for grilling up at the cabin...about halfway through, I stopped and looked at him in horror and accused him of riffing from KotH. To which he died laughing - he wasn't, but we'd subconsciously started to drift into that territory.

Cyia
02-25-2018, 06:03 AM
I don't think I ever realized who voiced Lucky until I looked it up after reading through this thread! I still don't like the character, but man, this show had Simpsons-level luck with voice actors.

Kjbartolotta
02-25-2018, 06:47 AM
Lucky was always a little bit weird, I think they just wanted to work with Tom Petty again (because why wouldn't you). I think there was a sweetness to the way he loved Luanne despite her limitations. But he was definitely the show's Cousin Oliver.

Another all time favorite, the one with Bill's Louisiana gothic family. But then I seem to like the really weird ones,

frimble3
02-25-2018, 06:54 AM
I don't watch a lot of sitcoms, and of the few cartoon one's I've seen, King of the Hill is the one I've seen most often (y'know, if there isn't a cop show on:)). It always seemed the most 'human', and the most 'real' - not too over-the-top. Even the characters looked more like clumsily-drawn humans, rather than cartoon-shapes.
My favourite episode is the one where the Tibetan lamas come to town, saying that they are searching for the reincarnation of a deceased lama, and Bobby is it.
Their test: they lay out a blanket, with the symbols of various ex-lamas on it. Bobby is to choose the one that calls to him. Everyone gathers to watch.
Bobby looks down at a mirror, and sees the reflection of his girlfriend, Connie, who is leaning over, watching him choose.
"I choose Connie" he says. One of the younger monks chastises him, saying it's the mirror, not the reflection. The older monk says, no, Bobby has made his choice, and they will continue their search.

I miss that show.

Cyia
02-25-2018, 07:26 AM
Another all time favorite, the one with Bill's Louisiana gothic family. But then I seem to like the really weird ones,

Oh my Lord, YES!!!

Cousin Gilbert (of course, pronounced zhill-bere) was priceless. And the social climbers!

And then there's Bobby's: "This flower's wiltin'..." in his full southern front-porch white suit.

Kjbartolotta
02-25-2018, 07:45 AM
Hank: "How do the Saints look this year?"
Gilbert: "I have been acquainted with both sinners and saints, and in my eyes, sinners always look good."

Also, I'll always love the Dixie Chicks for that episode.

cornflake
02-25-2018, 08:55 AM
I like the one where Gilbert comes to Arlen because Bill is going to sell their family BBQ sauce more than the that one, with the trip to Louisiana (well to Dallas to throw the football) -- the whole Bill and the three sisters thing is just weird (though that Esme is Meryl Fucking Streep cracks me up) but I do love Bobby and the outfit and increasing Cajun accent until Hank loses it.

I don't watch a lot of sitcoms, and of the few cartoon one's I've seen, King of the Hill is the one I've seen most often (y'know, if there isn't a cop show on:)). It always seemed the most 'human', and the most 'real' - not too over-the-top. Even the characters looked more like clumsily-drawn humans, rather than cartoon-shapes.
My favourite episode is the one where the Tibetan lamas come to town, saying that they are searching for the reincarnation of a deceased lama, and Bobby is it.
Their test: they lay out a blanket, with the symbols of various ex-lamas on it. Bobby is to choose the one that calls to him. Everyone gathers to watch.
Bobby looks down at a mirror, and sees the reflection of his girlfriend, Connie, who is leaning over, watching him choose.
"I choose Connie" he says. One of the younger monks chastises him, saying it's the mirror, not the reflection. The older monk says, no, Bobby has made his choice, and they will continue their search.

I miss that show.

Still on! Every day! Multiple times and channels!

I love that one and always kind of wanted a follow-up, as the mirror belonged to Llama Sanglung, which implied Bobby was 'god to billions of Asians!' I also like the beleaguered young monk.

Guest stars -- I really like Matthew McConaughey as Rod Thibadeux (Tibaday-ex), Betty White and Phyllis Diller as Hank's mother's friends in that minatures episode, I've always thought Kathleen Turner was perfect as Miz Liz, and I like Allison Janney in the bookstore ep, bc I just like Allison Janney and that line about 'I've always wanted to retire someplace cold,' is awesome.

OH, and Henry Winkler, as Henry Winkler -- I love that episode where they go visit Peggy's mother in Montana. The whole thing is hilarious, and sweet with the Bobby B-plot and Peggy and her book learning saving the day, but the celebrities 'that old guy...' 'That's Larry David,' and the Henry Winkler weirdness is awesome.

Kjbartolotta
02-25-2018, 07:07 PM
I like the one where Gilbert comes to Arlen because Bill is going to sell their family BBQ sauce more than the that one, with the trip to Louisiana (well to Dallas to throw the football) -- the whole Bill and the three sisters thing is just weird (though that Esme is Meryl Fucking Streep cracks me up) but I do love Bobby and the outfit and increasing Cajun accent until Hank loses it.

Gilbert was characterized a bit differently in 'Blood and Sauce', more of a garden-variety decadent and less of a languishing nihilist.But then, either episode is good. That was yet another episode that sets Bobby up as a masterclass chef in training (along with the million other things Bobby is good at, the kid is an absolute prodigy).

The Lama Sanglung episode is beautiful. And once again, I feel like there was a great deal of respect and careful research that went into it. Though I had enjoyed the show before that, I remember that season and episode in particular being where I really started to appreciate what KotH was trying to do.

Also, I should mention my love of Escape from Party Island as well(and reiterate how there's probably no limit to how much time I can spend talking about this show). Beth Grant, Betty White, Uta Hagen, and Phyllis Diller, how can you go wrong? And my GF is a porcelain artist, so Neff jokes are a staple in my household.

Anna Iguana
02-25-2018, 07:46 PM
The Lama Sanglung episode is beautiful. And once again, I feel like there was a great deal of respect and careful research that went into it. Though I had enjoyed the show before that, I remember that season and episode in particular being where I really started to appreciate what KotH was trying to do.

Oh, I adored this show. So many good episodes mentioned. I also loved the episode Husky Bobby, about his size, and the Peggy episodes about her feet and Peggy's Turtle song, when she gets into feminist songwriting.

Oh, and there's an episode, I think when Bobby has his first boy-girl party, and Hank and Peggy's storyline is that Hank gets the coffin-making bug. There's this scene in the garage, where they both sit up in their coffins, hanging out and drinking beer, while giving Bobby space to party in the house.

Lo-o-ove.

cornflake
02-25-2018, 07:59 PM
Gilbert was characterized a bit differently in 'Blood and Sauce', more of a garden-variety decadent and less of a languishing nihilist.But then, either episode is good. That was yet another episode that sets Bobby up as a masterclass chef in training (along with the million other things Bobby is good at, the kid is an absolute prodigy).

Also, I should mention my love of Escape from Party Island as well(and reiterate how there's probably no limit to how much time I can spend talking about this show). Beth Grant, Betty White, Uta Hagen, and Phyllis Diller, how can you go wrong? And my GF is a porcelain artist, so Neff jokes are a staple in my household.

Totally agree about the respect, which I don't know I've really thought about before, but even along with the poor young monk, and Peggy's ego, and Hank not wanting anything to do with it, and even the Wassanasongs seemingly in it for prestige, they have Connie, dressed up and scolding, 'my religion is not a joke!' and Bobby taking it seriously because he respects her and understands what's at stake were he to select something and have it be the thing. As Bobby is wise.

I bet you like the one where Bobby takes the college comedy class right? I'm getting your taste, I think, because it's like just opposite mine on the ends of the KotH spectrum. :D Like the ones I find uncomfortable are your faves, heh, and I don't like that one, with Bobby prancing about in the harlequin outfit on about comedia del arte and the asshole teacher.

Oh, I adored this show. So many good episodes mentioned. I also loved the episode Husky Bobby, about his size, and the Peggy episodes about her feet and Peggy's Turtle song, when she gets into feminist songwriting.

Oh, and there's an episode, I think when Bobby has his first boy-girl party, and Hank and Peggy's storyline is that Hank gets the coffin-making bug. There's this scene in the garage, where they both sit up in their coffins, hanging out and drinking beer, while giving Bobby space to party in the house.

Lo-o-ove.

Yay more fans!!!

I forgot about the one where Peggy goes shoe shopping at the new big feet store and meets Carolyn and inadvertently joins a drag show because he thinks she's a guy because of her feet. I love that one, with the clothing exchanges.

Also love the other one; I have a fondness for the episodes in which Hank and Peggy let loose and get drunk or go smoking.

Cyia
02-25-2018, 08:40 PM
I also like the sometimes friendly competition that has Peggy and Minh both running for office and escalates to hyper competitive Peggy going to different counties to donate blood to get a coffee mug.

shakeysix
02-25-2018, 09:11 PM
Minh, Kahn and Connie are some of my favorites. I worked as an English/Citizenship teacher back in the nineties and I have to say that they ring true and lovably frustrating. --s6

morngnstar
02-25-2018, 09:24 PM
The Office? How about Beavis and Butthead, Office Space, Idiocracy, Silicon Valley. Mike Judge is a very versatile and brilliant writer.

Kjbartolotta
02-25-2018, 09:47 PM

Husky Bobby is one of the episodes where Bobby gets into something weird (like ceremonial magick or Xtian rock), and Hank seems unnecessarily harsh but turns out to be right for uncomfortable reasons. But the point is always to not get sucked too far into pretensions (more than a judgement on the thing itself), and all three involve Bobby being hilariously dorky. The turtle episode was another turning point on the show, you see Peggy going to meet the songwriter and start to cringe instinctively, then, despite some ridiculous views, she turns out to be a kind, insightful person, who helps Peggy gain a new perspective.

The episode with the drag performers is another one I love, and another case of 'research and respect' IMHO. They could have done a whole spinoff series about Carloyn/Jamie.

As for the episode with the comedy class, nah, that's another 'effete outsider' episode I don't like. Maybe one of my least favorites. (ETA- But Tartuffe the Wondermutt is pretty funny tho) The show did have it's straw men, though now that I think about it there seems to be a very specific formula to it. I got thinking about this show in the other thread talking about 'anti-intellectualism', and I think there's certainly an element of this to KotH. *Maybe* I guess it's more a distaste of people who assume their knowledge or self-graced expertise gives them power over others.

The Office? How about Beavis and Butthead, Office Space, Idiocracy, Silicon Valley. Mike Judge is a very versatile and brilliant writer.

Right there with you, Mstar (tho, God help me, I can't get into Silicon Valley). I would also recommend Tales from the Tour Bus. It's just Mike Judge interviewing various folks from the outlaw country & Nashville music scene. They do episodes on Johnny Paycheck, George Jones, and Jerry Lee Lewis among others, and the whole thing is just kind of an oral history of the era. Helps if you like country music, I guess, but it's more just about how gangsta some of these guys were.

Tazlima
02-25-2018, 10:31 PM
Objectively, it's not the best episode, but the one that makes me laugh every time is the one where Bobby takes a woman's self-defense class to deal with a bully, and comes away with the lesson that he should deal with problems by yelling "That's my purse. I don't know you!" while delivering a kick to the balls.

That scene at the end with Peggy, "I believe you will find that I HAVE NO BALLS," and poor, injured Hank, "you know, I can get her to do that any time I want," was pure comedy gold, but there was more to it than that. I think what I liked most about it was how it showcased Hank and Peggy's parenting dynamics, that they were very much a team and had each other's backs in any situation. In a strange way, it was really sweet.

Frankie007
02-26-2018, 11:04 PM
the only episode that makes me groan/really can't stand...is the one where the old lady INSISTS on dying in the Hill house...ON CHRISTMAS.
my fav one is the one where Bobby is on the meds.... "the milk in the fridge is about to go bad! (sniffs) And there it goes!"
loved how everyone knew about Nancy and Redcorn except Dale.
what does everything think about the theory that Bobby is actually the son of Bill and Peggy?

Maggie Maxwell
02-26-2018, 11:11 PM
what does everything think about the theory that Bobby is actually the son of Bill and Peggy?

I think it should stay in theoryland. One of the episodes I remember is the one where Peggy and Hank wanted kids but were having trouble conceiving until they got Lady Bird. It's a really sweet episode and saying "Nope, actually-" would erase all the meaning of that entire episode.

Cyia
02-26-2018, 11:15 PM

Eww. No! Bill's that one guy who can't take a hint and leave his buddy's wife alone. Just no.

Justobuddies
02-27-2018, 08:35 PM
Oh my Lord, YES!!!

Cousin Gilbert (of course, pronounced zhill-bere) was priceless. And the social climbers!

And then there's Bobby's: "This flower's wiltin'..." in his full southern front-porch white suit.

A true gentleman must know the difference between velvet, and velveteen.

Lavern08
03-01-2018, 06:48 PM
I cannot remember one, single episode's details the way you guys can, but OMG, how I lurved that show! :hi:

Kjbartolotta
03-01-2018, 07:09 PM
I cannot remember one, single episode's details the way you guys can, but OMG, how I lurved that show! :hi:

Hi Lavern! :partyguy:

cornflake
03-01-2018, 07:24 PM
the only episode that makes me groan/really can't stand...is the one where the old lady INSISTS on dying in the Hill house...ON CHRISTMAS.
my fav one is the one where Bobby is on the meds.... "the milk in the fridge is about to go bad! (sniffs) And there it goes!"
loved how everyone knew about Nancy and Redcorn except Dale.

Whose theory was that? Bill's? Yeesh.

I like the Ms. Wakefield episode; it's sad/cute.

The one where Peggy secretly gives Hank testosterone was on the other night; I like that, especially the line when the Dr. explains the treatment involves a scrotal patch. "Of course it does."

Then the one where Peggy goes to tutor Msgr. Martinez' children and thinks he's into her. That one I'm very meh.

Justobuddies
03-01-2018, 07:27 PM
The one where the guys become firemen, and somehow torch the firehouse is one of my favorites. Mostly because we see things from Boomhauer's perspective. He talks normal, everyone else mumbles about dang 'ol' somethingorother.

cornflake
03-01-2018, 07:41 PM
Objectively, it's not the best episode, but the one that makes me laugh every time is the one where Bobby takes a woman's self-defense class to deal with a bully, and comes away with the lesson that he should deal with problems by yelling "That's my purse. I don't know you!" while delivering a kick to the balls.

That scene at the end with Peggy, "I believe you will find that I HAVE NO BALLS," and poor, injured Hank, "you know, I can get her to do that any time I want," was pure comedy gold, but there was more to it than that. I think what I liked most about it was how it showcased Hank and Peggy's parenting dynamics, that they were very much a team and had each other's backs in any situation. In a strange way, it was really sweet.

His repetition of that line in increasingly inappropriate situations makes me laugh too, as well as Hank's dissolve in the principal's office from pride Bobby won a fight to hearing what happened. 'We can't have your boy kickin'....' 'I know that Carl!'

Cyia
03-01-2018, 07:49 PM
What about Hank's attachment to Lady Bird that was so strong he put Bobby in the doghouse when they thought Bobby was allergic. :ROFL:

cornflake
03-01-2018, 08:12 PM
What about Hank's attachment to Lady Bird that was so strong he put Bobby in the doghouse when they thought Bobby was allergic. :ROFL:

Hey, Ladybird was thirteen, she couldn't be expected to move into a doghouse -- but Bobby was only thirteen, he'd think it was fun! :ROFL:

Kjbartolotta
03-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Ladybird! I tend to favor any LB episode pretty heavily, the one where she loses her hearing was tough.

The bull testosterone episode is a favorite.

Doctor: The testosterone is making Hank go through a second adolescence.
Peggy: That explains why he's always combing his hair and hanging out at the mall!

I also remember liking the episode where Hank gets into video games. It's pretty funny how they sort of take a 'video games are dumb' approach, but they nail the gaming loop (and why a straight-laced dude like Hank would get get sucked into it). "I married a man, not a gamer!"

Justobuddies
03-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Every time I think of Ladybird episodes I think of Hank in his tux from the time he was going to breed her with one of Mr. Stricklands hounds

cornflake
03-15-2018, 04:23 AM
"My wife lies to me, my beer company betrays me, Americans are giving Mexicans diarrhea -- what the hell's going on here?!"

Kjbartolotta
03-15-2018, 04:47 AM
"My wife lies to me, my beer company betrays me, Americans are giving Mexicans diarrhea -- what the hell's going on here?!"

Vomito? Vomito!?

cornflake
03-15-2018, 04:49 AM
Vomito? Vomito!?

"Their Spanish was not great, but..."

Marian Perera
03-15-2018, 02:05 PM
"The complacency of fools will destroy them. Proverbs."

"Get out of my house!... Exodus."

cornflake
03-22-2018, 12:12 AM
KotH Trivia! Answer (or pass) and post a q. of your own!

Where is Yogi Victor's band playing?