I Read Bad Books!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brickcommajason

Registered
Reaction score
One of the best ways to improve our writing is to read terrible books.

What's an example of bad writing (this can be the actual words, poor characterization, insipid plot, continuity issues, whatever) that stuck with you? That thing that made you promise yourself "I'll never do that" or take comfort in "At least I'm better than this actually published author?"

Tell the tale!

PS: No fair just bashing a title. We're here to help each other learn. Learning "This person disliked 50 shades" isn't the lesson we're after.

- - - Updated - - -

I recently read "Once More With Feeling" which is a wonderful, wonderful book in its paragraphs and sentences. Reads like poetry and makes me laugh out loud.

But...it's a sweeping ensemble cast with constantly shifting points of view. The author spen
t so little time with any individual person I found I didn't care much about any of their stories. I was just there for the prose.

Had the book been written so beautifully, _and_ had amazing characters with stories I was engaged with, it would be the best book I've read in a long time.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
This is SO problematic. I think you even recognized this yourself when you finished with NO FAIR BASHING A TITLE.

We shouldn't 'help each other learn' by tearing down the work of others. Not liking this at all. Inappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.