• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Spectacle Magazine

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh brother. I remember signing contracts like that when I contract worked in the tech world as an illustrator. Someone needs to enlighten these guys.

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Apparently they have listened and are now working with the SFWA to come up with a better contract - and have said it will be retroactive to all current contracts. I'm pleasantly surprised! I still wouldn't sign anything until that's sorted of course.

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I heard the same. Here's their announcement on Twitter:

Just a heads up that we’ve reached out to SFWA to figure out how to fix our contributor contract. We want to be good citizens and will make any changes retroactive for all authors. Thx @jasonsanford for making the intro.

It's nice to see they're willing to learn.

KaaSerpent

Registered
Reaction score
Website
garydhenderson.com
They may be willing to learn, but it is now two months since they told those of us who were waiting on the new contracts that they were 'starting to send them out tonight,' and we have received nothing. We got copies of the wording, but not the actual legal documents.

And now, they're not answering emails or direct messages on Twitter. Methinks their unorthodox approach and the EXTREMELY high price per issue ($20!) is going to be their downfall. I'd like to get the money, but I'm now convinced they'll never publish a second issue, much less send contracts for the stories they accepted. IMHO, obviously. I'll be happy to be wrong.

truantoranje

Registered
Reaction score
I, too, signed the first contract and fully expect them to honor it even if the magazine folds. It is a legally binding document for a substantial amount of money and them just "disappearing" isn't going to make this go away. I've had other publishers try this and it never works. They will be taken to court if they fail to honor the terms of the contract.