Best Typo Awards

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

Not sure that qualifies as a typo. Seems more like a temporary brain failure. But it is funny as hell.

Last edited:

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
And a pack of dead guys can eat your brains! :tongue

Wow, that's quite the typo!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see that as a typo, really. And my god, where is the editor who should have stopped that from appearing in print?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see that as a typo, really. And my god, where is the editor who should have stopped that from appearing in print?

Dead.

Not yet recovered.

To the 'not a typo' crowd: D and F are adjacent... how is it not a typo?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha ha ha. I'm totally deaf, and see many, many writers who make the error. My friends' smart phones change "deaf" to "dead" all the time.

My mystery novels titles are all plays on the typo.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sheesh, since that's not a typo I make myself (I have many others), I didn't even see the juxtaposition of the keys. My brain forgot what's where on a keyboard a long time ago.

So I stand corrected on it not being a typo--but I stand by my where-was-the-editor.

Chase, sorry to hear you're dead. How do you like it so far?

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I still belong to the "not a typo" crowd. Reason being: it's not a misspelling or word miskey or anything of that nature. What it looks like to me: a revision error such as when a whole thought is lost in cutting and rearranging complex sentences into smaller ones. I'm highly susceptible to making those; in fact, I had to resubmit my Sisyphus story for that very reason: a whole dadgummed sentence that didn't make a lick of sense after the old "cut and paste". (And, yes, I think it should have been caught by an editor.)

I also think the Beethoven-Napoleon backstory would support the revision error theory. Beethoven admired Napoleon to such a degree that, at the time of Napoleon's death, there was speculation that Beethoven would cease to compose. He didn't; he went on to compose additional works.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I still belong to the "not a typo" crowd. Reason being: it's not a misspelling or word miskey or anything of that nature. What it looks like to me: a revision error such as when a whole thought is lost in cutting and rearranging complex sentences into smaller ones. I'm highly susceptible to making those; in fact, I had to resubmit my Sisyphus story for that very reason: a whole dadgummed sentence that didn't make a lick of sense after the old "cut and paste". (And, yes, I think it should have been caught by an editor.)

I also think the Beethoven-Napoleon backstory would support the revision error theory. Beethoven admired Napoleon to such a degree that, at the time of Napoleon's death, there was speculation that Beethoven would cease to compose. He didn't; he went on to compose additional works.

I don't understand how it's not a case of hitting the wrong key (which, as the error is a word, wouldn't be caught by spellcheck and people reconfigure what they see into what they meant all the time). I agree a proofer should have caught it, but I've been finding typos in trade pubbed works my whole life -- it happens. I'm not saying it couldn't be an error, just don't understand why some are sure it's not a typo.

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Only that it's a whole thought that's missing. "[Napoleon's] being dead did not stop him [Beethoven] in the slightest from recovering quickly and going on with his music." Or, maybe my definition of typo is too limited.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Only that it's a whole thought that's missing. "[Napoleon's] being dead did not stop him [Beethoven] in the slightest from recovering quickly and going on with his music." Or, maybe my definition of typo is too limited.

I believe it's [Beethoven's] being dead did not stop [Beethoven] in the slightest...' Hence the typo.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chase, sorry to hear you're dead. How do you like it so far?

As Mark might have said, ‘The report of my deaf was an exaggeration."

To stave off trouble, I recommend the ASL sign: :deaf:

Last edited:

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
I believe it's [Beethoven's] being dead did not stop [Beethoven] in the slightest...' Hence the typo.

Well sure, that's exactly how it reads . . . now. I just don't think it's technically a typo—hmm, more like a temporary brain failure, as MaeZe said above.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Well sure, that's exactly how it reads . . . now. I just don't think it's technically a typo—hmm, more like a temporary brain failure, as MaeZe said above.

Why though? They're right next to each other!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha-ha-ha! That's a delight.