Published; now switching agents. Will agents look upon me poorly?

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Long time lurker first time poster here! I wondered if anyone could offer me any advice...

Here's my situation: I first acquired an agent several years ago. He was able to sell my first book to a top traditional publisher and it did very well. Publisher bought further books. These did less well, for reasons I won't go into, but had very little to do with me. Publisher didn't renew my contract. I completed a new book (definitely my poorest work). Agent pitched it to new publishers. None took it.

This was all a few years ago. Recently, I made the decision to break with my agent. Since the failed Book 4, he has been reluctant to pitch my work, and hasn't liked the last few manuscripts I've shared, saying that they are good, but not to his personal taste.

Now, I am in the position of seeking a new agent - and so far, I've had no luck. So I guess this is really what I want to ask: I'm wondering if my past history (which I've been entirely honest about) is going against me. Will agents look at this and think "the publishers didn't want more books from this author, this author isn't a sound financial bet"? Will they see I've terminated a contract with an agent and will warning bells ring because of that? (I make it clear the split was simply due to agent not loving my more recent writing, and was perfectly amicable). Is an author switched agents (even for understandable reasons) looked upon poorly?

Any thoughts welcome (also, for what it's worth, I do think the book I am pitching to these new agents is strong).

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I was in a similar place a few years ago--left my agent of ten years and four books sold to two publishers, for reasons. It took 20 months or so, but I signed with a new agent with a new book. Twenty months felt like a long time, but I think it is harder these days to sign with an agent that it was the first time I did this. I don't think my previously having been agented was a negative factor; it might have been if I'd, say, bounced agent #1 after six months or something. But agents understand that authors and their needs can change over time. If anything, having published books and being previously agented over a long term should be a positive when querying afresh--it proves you're a professional.

Good luck. I know where you are, and it's hard.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Marissa. I'm glad to know someone else has been through this (though, obviously, sorry you were in the situation). I've found surprisingly little from people who've switched agents online; perhaps it isn't something people tend to talk about. I've clearly been very naive in thinking finding someone new would be, well, not easy, exactly, but not difficult! You're certainly right that the industry has become even more competitive than it was years ago; that is most certainly true in YA, which is what I write. It's just very frustrating to effectively be back where I was years ago subbing to the slushpile...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just a couple of questions:

Are you using a fresh, unshopped book when querying agents?

Are you highlighting your past trade published books in your query?

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Sage - yes, the book in question is fresh and has never been seen by any publishers. Just by my old Agent who didn't love it enough to sub and thus felt he wasn't the right agent for it.

I include a paragraph on my published works in my letter to publishers, trying to keep the info as brief as possible. I mention the three publisher titles, year of pubs, awards won, the publishing house and also sales figures for the first book (as they are impressive). That's all, as I figured if the agent wanted to know more they would ask. I do also explain my reasons for moving on from my old agent.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Been there twice, gotten new agents twice. (1st time, mutual break. 2nd time, agent culled their list due to personal reasons -- while I was on submission:cry:) Basically you just need to be upfront with the agents you query and if they ask what happened, then tell them.

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Since you are querying with a manuscript that has not been shopped yet, the thought that ran through my head is that there is no real reason to mention your old agent until a new one has offered rep. You can discuss it with them at that time, and you don't have to go into very much detail, just that you've decided to look for a new agent due to different tastes. If you were trying to sell one of the manuscripts that your agent already shopped, then I'd think it would be more important to let them know before they fell in love with it.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Since you are querying with a manuscript that has not been shopped yet, the thought that ran through my head is that there is no real reason to mention your old agent until a new one has offered rep.

Although this is true in principle (IMO), in practice an interested agent is going to google you. They'll likely be able to tell if your previous publications went through an agent.

I honestly don't know if it's better to include a line like "I have parted amicably with my previous representation" in the query or not.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Since you are querying with a manuscript that has not been shopped yet, the thought that ran through my head is that there is no real reason to mention your old agent until a new one has offered rep. You can discuss it with them at that time, and you don't have to go into very much detail, just that you've decided to look for a new agent due to different tastes. If you were trying to sell one of the manuscripts that your agent already shopped, then I'd think it would be more important to let them know before they fell in love with it.

This. If it's a fresh one, like you said, you really don't have to mention your history with other agents. Not until they start showing an interest in your work, is when I'd start bringing it up. Having it in every query might be a deterrence to some agents. Maybe it's too honest to tell all that, ya know? Sometimes too much is too much.

And don't give up. As I've tweeted about, it's hard to write a book, it's even harder to get it published, and it's the hardest to maintain a writing career. Basically sums up everything. I worry about my future works all the time because I've been dropped by publishers before. Then it's back to looking for an agent? or another publisher? or what. Just know, you're not alone. I write YA too and it's horribly competitive.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply - it's nice to know there are others who've been in my position.

My concern with not mentioning having been agented is that it feels dishonest. Also, it's not something I think I could get away with - I'm UK based and the number of YA agents is not huge (70-80 at best). There's a reasonable chance whoever I approach will know (or know of) my old agent. It's a small community. Also, I've an unusual name, so a quick google is going to throw my link with my old agent up. I don't want new agents to think I'm still working with the old agent, but fishing around for a better deal. So I guess I've pretty much concluded I have to mention parting ways with old agent. If it puts the new ones off so be it!

I almost wonder whether I'm best off not mentioning my published books or agents when approaching but as that's going to come out if an agent is interested... I sort of have no choice. Let's just hope it isn't a deterrent.

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
I've also been through this. My first agent didn't like my second book, and after many years of me reworking book 2 (massive overhauls - over and over and over again) to please her, she still didn't like it. It took me a long time to realise I wanted my writing to go in a direction which didn't resonate with her.

After an amicable split, I began querying again. And, well, this time round it was MUCH tougher out there. There's a lot more competition, and a lot of really polished, strong manuscripts out there desperately seeking representation. The agents are over-subscribed, and RaggyCat, yes, I think YA is even harder than the genre I was writing in. So I suggest you keep going, I'm hearing about people querying up to 350 agents before they find representation. The reality is that it's just a lot harder out there now.

I did let agents know that I was previously represented and that we did split amicably - and that the manuscript has not been shopped to any editors. Here's a post on this:

https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?302447-Mention-previous-agent-in-query-letter

After a long time in the query trenches, I finally found a wonderful agent. It's a much healthier relationship. However, the editors are also really oversubscribed and it's very tough out there in the submission trenches too.

I wish you all the best and hope you find a happier, healthier agent relationship!

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
At a glance, most of the agented writers over on the Next Circle of Hell thread (myself included) are on agent number 2 and upwards. You'll find plenty of support there and on our query trench thread, The Daily Rejection.

It's super common. Personally, I included my trade-pubbed work in my bio but didn't include any references to my previous agent, and my current agent didn't ask.

I'm UK based and the number of YA agents is not huge (70-80 at best). There's a reasonable chance whoever I approach will know (or know of) my old agent. It's a small community.

UK here also, I still don't think it requires mentioning unless asked. Most UK agents are skilled at Google-fu, if they're curious they'll probably look it up themselves.

I don't want new agents to think I'm still working with the old agent, but fishing around for a better deal.

I really don't think they'll assume that, especially if your writer website has no mention of your agent. (If you had your agent in your bio or contact page, I'd raise an eyebrow, but that's it.)

I almost wonder whether I'm best off not mentioning my published books or agents when approaching but as that's going to come out if an agent is interested... I sort of have no choice.

I know you had a rough time with your previous books, but please don't hesitate to include them in your bio. They're an important part of your successes as a writer -- getting a trade-published series is a HUGE achievement. I'm sorry it feels tarnished for you now.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So here's my question: will a new agent talk to your old agent, or just evaluate the book for itself? IOW is it like finding a new job, where they call your old one?

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I'm a writer who's switched agents. I'm also a former long-time literary agent.

Publishing is a clubby sort of business, and while some agents steal clients, most recoil at the idea of taking a client away from a colleague. When I switched agents, the first question my new agent asked is "Does J. know?" (J being my former agent.) I said that I'd already told her. "Good," the new agent said, "because if you hadn't, I would have." So it's never smart to go behind your agent's back. Chances are, he'll hear about it and the writer will end up losing both the bird in the hand and the bird in the bush.

But this doesn't apply to you. You've gone about this the right and respectful way: You've let your current agent know, you've approached other agents...and you've been rejected. There are a bunch of possible reasons for that, but the fact that you're looking to switch agents is unlikely to be one. It happens for all sorts of reasons. The only way that hurts you is if you go around trashing the agent, in which case any other agent you talk to figures he'll be next in line, so no thanks. Best to assume that your old agent is best friends with all those prospective agents you've got on your list, and speak accordingly.

Agents care about sales history, because the publishers to whom they pitch care about it. These days there's no fudging---editors and agents can and will check how many copies you've sold. If they see a pattern of declining sales, that's problematic because it makes the agent's job harder. It's actually easier to sell an unpublished writer than one with a history of disappointing sales. And by disappointing, I mean in relation to expectations. You could have two books that each sell 50K in hardcover. Book A wasn't expected to do that well and is hailed as a breakthrough for the writer. But Book B was expected to sell 100K, resulting in a load of remainders and little prospect of making back the advance and other expenses. That writer's rep and ability to command good advances --maybe even to sell her books---is going to take a hit.

So there's that. And there's the usual challenge of finding an agent who (1) falls in love with your writing and (2) knows how to sell it. Every agent is different, tastes vary, trends change...finding the right match is crucial but never easy, no matter where you are in the publishing ecosystem. But the way I see it, selling a book to a serious publisher is always an uphill battle. Staying published over the course of your career (unless you're in the Stephen King bracket) is an uphill battle. Everything in publishing is an uphill battle! The only way to win is to blow people away: to deliver a book so irresistible that they can't call themselves publishers/agents if they don't buy it. Then nothing else will matter--all the negatives get washed away. "Good enough" won't cut it; "superb" is what we need to aim for.

So if you're getting a whole bunch of rejections, especially near misses, try taking it as a challenge and have another go at the book before continuing down the list.

Good luck!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Thanks for the detail, Barbara R. I'm wondering about this:

Agents care about sales history, because the publishers to whom they pitch care about it. These days there's no fudging---editors and agents can and will check how many copies you've sold. If they see a pattern of declining sales, that's problematic because it makes the agent's job harder. It's actually easier to sell an unpublished writer than one with a history of disappointing sales. And by disappointing, I mean in relation to expectations. You could have two books that each sell 50K in hardcover. Book A wasn't expected to do that well and is hailed as a breakthrough for the writer. But Book B was expected to sell 100K, resulting in a load of remainders and little prospect of making back the advance and other expenses. That writer's rep and ability to command good advances --maybe even to sell her books---is going to take a hit.

I know it's subjective at a certain level, but in your opinion, in this situation, does it even make sense to try to acquire another agent? Would the author be better served looking for other publishing avenues (e.g. self)?

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you've had to go through the experience of reworking a book to try to suit an agent - I did that with the book before the one I'm currently subbing and it became apparent that it was never a book that was going to work for my old agent. I just wish he'd been transparent about not being totally onboard with the subject matter from the beginning!

Thanks for the link to that old post - I can already see from a quick skim that it's going to be helpful.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks EMaree. I removed all refs to my old agent on my website, social media accounts etc. I'm still listed on his website but there's nothing shady about that, as he did represent the three published books so has a right to link to them. You're right that my previous publishing deals do feel tarnished for now, but that will, I hope, be a temporary thing. It's good to have support. The writer friends I have are all with their original agents and I'd started to wonder if I'd been rash, despite KNOWING the agent relationship wasn't working for me anymore.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Lizmonster - I've no idea if a new agent would talk to the old one, but I think it's safest to assume they both might and more crucially could. This is probably especially true as both the Bologna and London book fairs are only a couple of months away. Like Barbara R. said, best to work on the idea that they will speak.

Barbara R. - thanks so much for your insight. The sales figures do concern me, and what you say about them is totally true. The problem I have is that in my case, Book 1 was a success, and books 2 and 3 didn't build on that success. There are clear reasons for that - due to ongoing problems at the publishing house - but, at the end of the day, the figures stand, and I am concerned that any explanation sounds like an excuse. I guess it just depends on how a new agent feels abut this, and, anyway, this isn't information I'd give out in the first instance. Even knowing how tough publishing is, I think I've still underestimated just how tough it's become. In retrospect I wish I hadn't been signed so young because looking back I can see I was pretty naive at the start, but heigh ho, nothing I can do about that.

I've a few more subs out there, but if they're no, too, the thing to do is clearly to sit on the manuscript a while and then look at it afresh to see if it can be improved. I can't see any problems right now - I've even ironed out the little niggles - but time often brings clearer sight.

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Just chiming in to say that I'm on my second agent, and I know a number of other writers who are, too. It's not uncommon, but as you point out, RaggyCat, it's not all that talked about. I think because it often feels like a failure on the writer's part, if that makes sense.

When querying again I didn't mention being previously agented in my queries, but it came up pretty quickly in the call with my new agent when we were talking about my writing history. You should definitely mention your previous books. If nothing else, it shows you have a professional work ethic and produced work publishers believed in before.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score

I'm not in the same situation as the OP, but I have a question about this. What if the BookScan number represents half or fewer of your actual sales? (This seems like a common situation in YA, where a lot of books are sold to libraries, schools, etc.) I have a feeling the answer is "Tough luck" or "If you need to ask, the difference isn't likely to matter," but I'm still curious about how agents and editors approach that discrepancy.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'm not in the same situation as the OP, but I have a question about this. What if the BookScan number represents half or fewer of your actual sales? (This seems like a common situation in YA, where a lot of books are sold to libraries, schools, etc.) I have a feeling the answer is "Tough luck" or "If you need to ask, the difference isn't likely to matter," but I'm still curious about how agents and editors approach that discrepancy.

FWIW, my former agent was well aware that BookScan was inaccurate - she assumed it represented anywhere from 40% to 60% of actual sales. How this plays into the "did you sell enough"calculus I don't know, but I suspect most industry people aren't going to use BookScan numbers as absolutes.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Thedrellum - I think you're right and moving agents is one of those peculiar things that isn't unusual but just not talked about. At this stage it does feel like something of a failure on my part, though logically, I know it isn't, and an unenthusiastic agent is worse than none at all.

Fuchsia and Lizmonster - shame on me but I'd never heard of Book Scan. However, I'd assume that agents are well-aware that it may show a shortfall of sales. In my case, I got my sales figures by getting in touch with my former publishers, but even these sales weren't strictly accurate - they're six months out of date as my publishers used to only tot up sales twice a year. So I think given all these variables any agent would take figures with a slight pinch of salt, and reason that they would likely be higher, even if only a little, than any date shows (unless it's absolutely up to date).

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
I know it's subjective at a certain level, but in your opinion, in this situation, does it even make sense to try to acquire another agent? Would the author be better served looking for other publishing avenues (e.g. self)?

It is subjective, so let me say upfront that after a whole career spend in publishing, wearing various hats, I'm a big advocate of commercial publishing over self-publishing in most, not all, instances. I won't go into all the reasons here, but if you're interested they're covered in this blog post. The OP's situation is not as dire as all that. Declining sales on older books is just another boulder in a road strewn with them. An agent who falls in love with the new book will argue that the older work wasn't handled correctly or supported by his former publisher, or just that this new one is a very different sort of book. The editor who falls in love will make the same argument to her editorial board. My own sales numbers were never huge (except for one book, SUSPICION, that was strongly supported by my publisher and did very well, making various lists.) But I keep gettting published (knock on wood), even after changing publishers a number of times. Never underestimate the power of an editor in love with a book!

Self-publishing generally works best after a writer has been publishing traditionally for a while. "Hybrid" writers with books in both camps seem the happiest and best paid these days. I would encourage the OP to keep trying agents, including doing another edit if he's gotten substantive feedback that he agrees with. If that doesn't fly---thank God we have alternatives these days!

Last edited:

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, my former agent was well aware that BookScan was inaccurate - she assumed it represented anywhere from 40% to 60% of actual sales. How this plays into the "did you sell enough"calculus I don't know, but I suspect most industry people aren't going to use BookScan numbers as absolutes.

Thank you, that's good to hear. I think BookScan records maybe 30 percent of my sales, and I've heard of even lower percentages from other YA writers.