PDA

View Full Version : NIFTY NEW STUFF!

ChunkyC
05-15-2006, 11:48 PM
I believe we should have a thread dedicated to shining light on some of the new features and new ways of doing things the recent upgrade has given us. So feel free to post about those things that you like about the upgrade.

I'll start with the handy-dandy drop-down doohickey at the end of the page list (where it says Page x of x) in a thread. Click the little arrow and you can enter a page number to be taken directly there instead of having to scroll through the pages of a long thread such as Learn Writing with Uncle Jim.

Moondancer
05-15-2006, 11:54 PM
I like the New Posts feature in the navigation up top.

DamaNegra
05-16-2006, 02:07 AM
I love the new editing options!! Like, you can edit right into the post without having to be taken to another window, I just love it!!

DamaNegra
05-16-2006, 08:27 AM
Woooooooooooooooow just look at this.

In the reply window, you can make the text box larger or smaller by pressing the A/A button on the top right corner. Cool!

ChunkyC
01-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Time to revive this thread.

Okay, here's one new feature you folks will like: multi-quote. You'll notice a new button down at the lower right of a post next to the quote button, it has a quotation mark and a little plus sign. Click it and it changes colour. Now click the button in another post in the thread. With multiple posts selected this way, when you click the QUOTE button in one of the selected posts, ALL of the selected posts are quoted in your reply.

Neat, eh?

Haggis
01-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Awesome, Chunky.

Silver King
01-28-2007, 10:29 PM
Neat, eh?

Woooooooooooooooow just look at this.
Very cool! What a great time saver. I also like the addition of a percentage amount that shows how full the PM box is at all times.

Thanks!

Jean Marie
01-28-2007, 10:31 PM
practicing

Haggis
01-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Ooooo. I just gave a rep point. Got a neat little message. I like it. Thanks, Chunky.

Jean Marie
01-28-2007, 10:34 PM
practicing

Time to revive this thread.

Okay, here's one new feature you folks will like: multi-quote. You'll notice a new button down at the lower right of a post next to the quote button, it has a quotation mark and a little plus sign. Click it and it changes colour. Now click the button in another post in the thread. With multiple posts selected this way, when you click the QUOTE button in one of the selected posts, ALL of the selected posts are quoted in your reply.

Neat, eh?

Awesome, Chunky.
Far out!

ChunkyC
01-28-2007, 10:42 PM
You'll also notice the little arrow in the quoted text that will let you view the originating post. :)

Silver King
01-28-2007, 10:48 PM
Far out!
And the arrow inside the quote is also a nice touch that gives the reader access to the entire post the quote was taken from. This is invaluable during long threads; now we no longer have to search for the original source and we can see at a glance where each quote came from.

Like my youngest boy would say, that's too cool for school.

ETA: Chunky beat me to it, but I'm posting this anyway.:)

Jean Marie
01-28-2007, 10:55 PM
You'll also notice the little arrow in the quoted text that will let you view the originating post. :)
Wow, that is tres cool. Totally.

Rolling Thunder
01-28-2007, 10:56 PM
The drop down menu for rep points is nice instead of going to another window.

robeiae
01-28-2007, 11:03 PM
What's a "rep point"?

robeiae
01-28-2007, 11:07 PM

And the arrow inside the quote is also a nice touch that gives the reader access to the entire post the quote was taken from. This is invaluable during long threads; now we no longer have to search for the original source and we can see at a glance where each quote came from.

Like my youngest boy would say, that's too cool for school.

ETA: Chunky beat me to it, but I'm posting this anyway.:)

Wow, that is tres cool. Totally.

Oh, man--this is smokin cool. I can't wait to ridic-...er, comment on multiple posts without copying and pasting!

Rolling Thunder
01-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Yeah, should help to get Rob banned in 1/10th the time. :D

Dawno
01-28-2007, 11:51 PM
CC - I think the extra pop up that appears after you post a rep pt is nicely worded but it adds another click to the User Experience that's unnecessary. Think of how many of those Susie is going to have to click!!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-29-2007, 12:46 AM

That is the coolest thing EVER. Thanks!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-29-2007, 12:47 AM
CC - I think the extra pop up that appears after you post a rep pt is nicely worded but it adds another click to the User Experience that's unnecessary. Think of how many of those Susie is going to have to click!!

Yeah! She could get carpal tunnel of the finger or something and sue AW!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-29-2007, 12:48 AM

Yeah, should help to get Rob banned in 1/10th the time. :D

Oh! Oh! And the multi-quote! Sweet!!!!

Mom'sWrite
01-29-2007, 12:51 AM
I'll start with the handy-dandy drop-down doohickey at the end of the page list (where it says Page x of x) in a thread. Click the little arrow and you can enter a page number to be taken directly there instead of having to scroll through the pages of a long thread such as Learn Writing with Uncle Jim.

Bless you. I'm going to have to name my next child after you. :)

I like the way that giving reputation points no longer involves getting shuffled into a different screen. Nice change.

Patricia
01-29-2007, 01:05 AM
Love all the new features! Thanks CC. :)

Silver King
01-29-2007, 01:40 AM
I also noticed it skips the rep comment altogether when you hit the back button; another great time saver.

ChunkyC
01-29-2007, 01:51 AM
Love all the new features! Thanks CC.
You are very welcome, doing this upgrade was my pleasure. I'm going to enjoy all this new stuff just as much as everyone else. :)

stormie
01-29-2007, 02:04 AM
Oh, CC, great new stuff to play with! Thanks! Glad I decided over on Susie's Whatcha Doin' This Very Moment board to not bother writing today. Having too much fun over here. (Sheesh, I've got to get a life away from AW.)

NicoleJLeBoeuf
01-29-2007, 03:15 AM
I just noticed a sort of "Loading..." status image that pops up during quick post and quick edit. A gray circle with the darker gray dot moving around to indicate that Something Is Happening, Please Don't Hit The Button A Second Time. I tend to see it stop animating at about 7:00 on the dial, but its showing up at all is nice.

Is that new this upgrade, too?

AmyDoodle
01-29-2007, 06:51 AM
Thanks, Chunky! I love the new upgrade smell. U da Worm! (I mean that in a completely complimentary way.)

limitedtimeauthor
01-29-2007, 08:00 AM

I agree! To both.

This is fun. :D

Thanks, Chunky!

ltd.

jdkiggins
01-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Great job, CC! :Clap:

aruna
01-29-2007, 12:40 PM
And the Multiple Quotes thingee. Great timesaver!
And you can go to the post you quoted with that little arrow thingee. Nice!
Tnankin' you!

Silver King
01-29-2007, 06:06 PM
I also like the addition of a percentage amount that shows how full the PM box is at all times.
I stand corrected. This feature appears only when the PM box is dangerously close to being full. Mine was showing 91% full until I did a little house cleaning, and then the warning disappeared.

Shadow_Ferret
01-29-2007, 07:48 PM
And the Multiple Quotes thingee. Great timesaver!

OK. I'm an idiot. I don't see any multi-post quoting option anywhere.

aruna
01-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Between the Quote and Quick Reply button, bottom right. But it doesn;'t seem to be working.

aruna
01-29-2007, 07:51 PM
... And it's multi-quote post, not multi-post quote!!!!

TrainofThought
01-29-2007, 08:02 PM
The changes are very cool ChunkyC! Thanks for your hard work.

Doug B
01-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Like it! But when I go to some other threads I can't post at all. The posting rules on this page say I can do everything except post attachments. When I go to the Auction 44 thread the rules are all "may not".

It looks like the path is not there: Coffee Break / Office Party / The Bargains Board

Doug

Shadow_Ferret
01-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Between the Quote and Quick Reply button, bottom right. But it doesn;'t seem to be working.
Nope. Don't see it. Maybe they've banned me from using it.

ETA: Oh, there! Duh.

Rolling Thunder
01-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Like it! But when I go to some other threads I can't post at all. The posting rules on this page say I can do everything except post attachments. When I go to the Auction 44 thread the rules are all "may not".

It looks like the path is not there: Coffee Break / Office Party / The Bargains Board

Doug

Maybe the 50 post count rule is back in effect?

sassandgroove
01-30-2007, 02:48 AM
Groovey BABY!

sassandgroove
01-30-2007, 02:52 AM

Doug

Maybe the 50 post count rule is back in effect?
Welcome Doug, I think there is a 50 post rule. I didn't know it applied to the Bargains Board. I think the mods did that to keep the spam to a minimum. So it ain't personal. If there is something you want to bid on you can send an Private Message to Ol' Fashioned Girl. (Or who ever is running the auction at the time.) Click on her user name in her post, it will give a drop down menu which includes sending a PM. Just let her know your bid and she'll update the thread. And once you get to post 50, a whole new world will open up.

NicoleJLeBoeuf
01-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Hallo, has something happened to the PM Inbox storage limit? It seems strangely more generous than it did last week.

Susie
01-30-2007, 03:25 AM
Thanks much, Chunky, for the great job you did. Just wondered if I'm supposed to be seeing the "I" triangle. We didn't before.:)

Rolling Thunder
01-30-2007, 03:31 AM
Oooooo! Good catch there Susie! I'm gonna report myself as SPAM before Chunky fixes it!

benbradley
01-30-2007, 05:43 AM
Far out!

Wow, that's slick as owl ... um ...

Well, anyway...is there no automatic way to quote nested quotes? I don't suppose anyone else thinks this is neccesary, but as a programmer I think the idea is too neat to ignore.

aruna
01-30-2007, 07:54 PM
I just noticed that we also habe our own rep point scale. I tried giving myself somne reps but it wouldnt let me.:cry:
All it did was tell me "you have not yet received any rps for this post. You rp point count is...."

aruna
02-03-2007, 05:18 PM
How does that multiple quote thingy work? When I click on it it just turns red.

Rolling Thunder
02-03-2007, 06:27 PM

Hit the Post Reply button and all the red quotes will paste themselves into your new dialog box. Works if you want to 'quote' one post, too. Just click on any other post "" and they'll show up as multiple quotes.

You want to select all the quotes first before replying in a thread

aruna
02-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Hit the Post Reply button and all the red quotes will paste themselves into your new dialog box. Works if you want to 'quote' one post, too. Just click on any other post "" and they'll show up as multiple quotes.

You want to select all the quotes first before replying in a thread

testing... Wow! I get it! I did it! Thanks!

ChunkyC
02-04-2007, 12:28 AM
I just noticed a sort of "Loading..." status image that pops up during quick post and quick edit. A gray circle with the darker gray dot moving around to indicate that Something Is Happening, Please Don't Hit The Button A Second Time. I tend to see it stop animating at about 7:00 on the dial, but its showing up at all is nice.

Is that new this upgrade, too?
Sure is. :)

Doug
Like others mentioned, there are certain places where you need to have 50+ posts before you can post. This is entirely due to spammers. Not many will stick around to accumulate that many posts just so they can post spam. We've put that limit on the forums most susceptible to spamming.

Hallo, has something happened to the PM Inbox storage limit? It seems strangely more generous than it did last week.
We doubled it for people who reach that 50+ post limit and become 'Super Members.' Previously it was the same as a standard Registered Member. We figured peeps who hit 50 should get that additional perk.

Thanks much, Chunky, for the great job you did. Just wondered if I'm supposed to be seeing the "I" triangle. We didn't before.:)
The black I (it's actually supposed to be an exclamation mark) inside a red triangle? That has been there for some time, it's for reporting posts. If you think someone is stepping out of line, you can click that and 'report' the post to the moderator for that particular forum.

By the way -- on behalf of Mac and the rest of the admin and mod team, I'd just like to say we're delighted everyone is pleased with the new toys. Enjoy!

stormie
02-04-2007, 04:50 AM
The black I (it's actually supposed to be an exclamation mark) inside a red triangle? That has been there for some time, it's for reporting posts. If you think someone is stepping out of line, you can click that and 'report' the post to the moderator for that particular forum.
I think what Susie means is that even she gets the red triangle with the black "!" in it under her own avatar/postings. So do I. So, if we don't like what we, ourselves, posted, we can report ourselves??! Only kidding. But that wasn't there before under our own avatars. Only the green/gray round light and the scales.

Rolling Thunder
02-04-2007, 04:53 AM
I think what Susie means is that even she gets the red triangle with the black "!" in it under her own avatar/postings. So do I. So, if we don't like what we, ourselves, posted, we can report ourselves??! Only kidding. But that wasn't there before under our own avatars. Only the green/gray round light and the scales.

I already reported myself as SPAM once. Go ahead. Give it a try. :D

Jean Marie
02-04-2007, 04:56 AM
All of us do, Chunky. I reported myself for saying, "hell." I felt better, afterwards, though. It was a bit like going to confession. W/o having to kneel, though. And I was in my jammies, too. That part was cool...

Others have reported themselves for spam. And so on.

For example, I could report this post...for...rambling...wanna see?

stormie
02-04-2007, 05:12 AM
Yeah, but you see, I'm one of those who quake at thought of pushing the wrong buttons, causing all kinds of catastrophes, creating storms on calm days....

ChunkyC
02-04-2007, 08:26 PM
Aha, he said, the lightbulb springing to life above his head. :)

Interesting, I never noticed that until now. I'll try it with this post and see what happens....

How bizarre. I see no reason for it to be that way. If I can find a way to turn it off (self-reporting), I will.

stormie
02-04-2007, 11:41 PM
If I can find a way to turn it off (self-reporting), I will.
And an "aha!" from me, too. The correct term is self-reporting. Now to make sure I don't report myself. Oh-oh. Paranoia is setting in....

Alan Yee
02-05-2007, 05:13 AM
Hmmm. Maybe I should try this self-reporting thing once in a while.

ETA: but... according to the rules, I can only report myself if I posted spam or ads, or I was rude or threatening or abusive. That's no fun. :D I'll be a nice boy, I promise.

Susie
02-05-2007, 12:54 PM
"Originally Posted by Dawno

OFG: Yeah! She could get carpal tunnel of the finger or something and sue AW!"
-------
Nah, it's ok about the double-clicking. I've gotten used to it.:) and I'd never sue AW, I'm already Sue! :tongue

dclary
02-06-2007, 04:41 AM
All of us do, Chunky. I reported myself for saying, "hell." I felt better, afterwards, though. It was a bit like going to confession. W/o having to kneel, though. And I was in my jammies, too. That part was cool...

Others have reported themselves for spam. And so on.

For example, I could report this post...for...rambling...wanna see?

I reported you for saying hell, too. It was quiet disconcerting.

Your mother and I aren't angry. We're just... disappointed.

Susie
02-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Dave, you are so cute! :)

Unique
02-10-2007, 07:06 PM
I thought I read somewhere that we could now 'Search This Forum' by Member Name, i.e. I could find all my poems in the Poetry Game by looking for my name.

True?
False?

Rolling Thunder
02-10-2007, 07:29 PM
When you use the search feature, choose Advanced Search. The option is there.

Unique
02-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Thank you.
That's exactly what I was looking for - wow - I had missed a bunch.

ATP
03-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Is it possible to provide a sticky of an index of the features available as discussed here? Perhaps in the following suggested format:

symbol - meaning - how to utilise this feature

Thanks.

Medievalist
03-25-2007, 09:07 PM
ATP I'm writing FAQs as fast as I can, but it's going to take me a while.

In the meantime, every icon on the Posting form has a tooltip; position your cursor over an icon until it highlights, you'll see a short description of its function.

dclary
03-27-2007, 10:50 PM
If you want, I can act as your squire, doing jr. moddy stuff, help shoulder the burden while you're doing the precious FAQ writing.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Tryin' to slip in the back door there, DC? :)

dclary
03-27-2007, 10:55 PM
In addition, could someone write a quick online bio of the regular characters, so that noobs can hit the ground running in OP and TIO?

You know:

dclary: neoconservative politically, very vocal in his (often completely wrong) opinions. Always talks out his ass, but usually follows up with relative research. Closely aligned with Billythrilly and Dr. Spork.

stew: fun loving poster with innate gift toward poetry. flirts incessantly, most often with robeieae and haggis.

macallister: runs the joint. don't call her "macky" or "mac mommy." Very cool, until it's time to be not cool, and then watch the f* out. Extremely loyal to her friends and coworkers. Has amazing tolerance for idiots, but does not suffer fools.

Stuff like that?

JennaGlatzer
03-29-2007, 05:54 AM
Excellent idea. You're off to a good start. I eagerly await the rest of your bios. :)

Susie, I agree about the extra click. I'm not sure if that can be turned off, but I hope so. After the first time or two that you see that pop-up, it gets tiring.

aruna
03-29-2007, 11:09 AM
I still haven't figured out how to use the multiple-quote feature! Can someone talk me through this?

poetinahat
03-29-2007, 11:12 AM
See the icon with quotation marks next to the "Quote" icon in the lower right of each post?

For every post you want to quote, click that one. It will turn orange, as you've marked that post as 'selected'. Click it again to de-select the quote.

Finally, click the "Quote" button for the last post you want to quote. When you do that, you'll be taken to your normal "reply" screen, and all the post you selected will be quoted.

Test it out and let me know if these instructions help!

aruna
03-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Tryin' to slip in the back door there, DC? :)

In addition, could someone write a quick online bio of the regular characters, so that noobs can hit the ground running in OP and TIO?

You know:

dclary: neoconservative politically, very vocal in his (often completely wrong) opinions. Always talks out his ass, but usually follows up with relative research. Closely aligned with Billythrilly and Dr. Spork.

stew: fun loving poster with innate gift toward poetry. flirts incessantly, most often with robeieae and haggis.

macallister: runs the joint. don't call her "macky" or "mac mommy." Very cool, until it's time to be not cool, and then watch the f* out. Extremely loyal to her friends and coworkers. Has amazing tolerance for idiots, but does not suffer fools.

Stuff like that?

Excellent idea. You're off to a good start. I eagerly await the rest of your bios. :)

Susie, I agree about the extra click. I'm not sure if that can be turned off, but I hope so. After the first time or two that you see that pop-up, it gets tiring.

I still haven't figured out how to use the multiple-quote feature! Can someone talk me through this?

See the icon with quotation marks next to the "Quote" icon in the lower right of each post?

For every post you want to quote, click that one. It will turn orange, as you've marked that post as 'selected'. Click it again to de-select the quote.

Finally, click the "Quote" button for the last post you want to quote. When you do that, you'll be taken to your normal "reply" screen, and all the post you selected will be quoted.

Test it out and let me know if these instructions help!

No Comment, except THANKS A MILLION, POET!!!

brianm
03-29-2007, 07:53 PM
This is a great thread. I had seen the multi-quote button before. Until this thread, I had no idea how it worked. Thanks, poet!

Medievalist
03-29-2007, 08:15 PM
The pop-up isn't an extra click; you have to click something, even under the old system for Rep comments, there was an OK button. But yeah, it's annoying.

ChunkyC
03-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Built into the system, tho'. No way I can see to turn it off. Personally, I've gotten used to it.

dclary
03-30-2007, 09:34 PM

Doh!

Summerwriter
06-06-2007, 12:45 PM

Neat, eh?

Oh yes. Yes it is.