If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

SteinbeckisGod

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the scenario:

You're walking down the sidewalk, minding your own business. The Birds are shining. The sun is singing. Everything is as peaceful as peaceful can get. Surely, nothing could happen to disrupt this perfectly normal, peaceful day.

Then something like a small meteorite smashes into the sidewalk right in front of you, barely missing your head as it capitulates to Earth's gravity. When the dust clears, you see a small, glowing orb, about the size of a baseball, sitting in the middle of the resulting crater. Now, being the intelligent, well-educated person that you are, you begin investigating the object with the time-honored, scientific technique of poking it with a conveniant stick.

Suddenly, the world seems to explode in a flash of lemon-colored light. A voice appears in your head. To your amusment, it sounds a lot like Morgan Freeman.

"CHOOSE YOUR POWER!" It booms.

What do you choose?

Personally, I'd choose the ability to speak and understand any known language. Then I'll finally be able to understand my co-workers!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd choose to control time. I used to dream about it every time I was trying to finish a term paper at the last minute or hadn't studied enough for a test.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bi-location. Times about 600 and across both time and space.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The ability to teleport instantly to any place in the world. Hi, banks. I'm here to... *realizes this is a public forum* ...not...steal any of your money. Ahem. *sidles away*

Awaiting rant from Be Frank about the ability to fly in 3, 2, ...

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
Bi-location. Times about 600 and across both time and space.

The ability to teleport instantly to any place in the world. Hi, banks. I'm here to... *realizes this is a public forum* ...not...steal any of your money. Ahem. *sidles away*

Awaiting rant from Be Frank about the ability to fly in 3, 2, ...

I was going to say teleportation, but I'm oging with time travel, since it seems to include teleportation as well.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
The power to be able to wish for more powers whenever.

OK, the device might not grant that, but someone's gunna ask. Might as well be me.

Failing that, I'm torn between stock market clairvoyancy, or the power to control great flocks of birds, darkening the sky with their wings, swooping down upon the land and falling on my enemies, ripping and tearing and shrieking with their

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was going to say teleportation, but I'm oging with time travel, since it seems to include teleportation as well.

OH! Hmm, okay, then yeah, sure, time travel + teleportation. :D Two for the price of one, why not!

Lolol. I will not be baited, hippo! I. Will. Not.

But for the record ... anyone who chooses "flying" is an idiot. :D

Although I am tempted to choose flying JUST to watch Beef fly into a frothing rage. :D

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I love how most people here are picking powers that would be useful in normal, everyday life and my first thought upon seeing the thread was "siren-themed magical girl!"

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Probability control.

What are my chances of winning the lottery? 1 out of 1.5million? Nah, we're going 1 out of 1. What's the chance I can lift this burning car off a pedestrian without getting hurt? 100%. What are the chances I can fly if I jump off this roof? 0, you say? Buddy, just watch.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be a little boring, but ... Silence. Either to wrap myself in nice silence or, better yet, to completely silence people and animals and things at will.

This may or may not be influenced by my misophonia.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
It's more dramatic than taking a running start from the ground.

True. But still. Just once, I'd like to see someone take the sensible* route.

*I mean, as sensible as a person who believes they can fly can be. I'm grading on a scale here.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
to have whatever pants/shorts i am wearing (that has pockets....and i only wear pants/shorts with pockets sooooo.....) give me correct change every time.

meaning, all i have to do is stick my hand in the pocket and pull out exact change. that new Tesla is 80k? here you go. pack of gum is only 65 cents? fine!
my washing machine broke? no biggie....here's the money for a new one....AND the money to have it delivered and installed. hire a maid to clean my house? no problem!

although, if I go to the restaurant, tip will be added if the place doesn't automatically add it to the bill.

sohalt

Registered
Reaction score
Website
notsosilentsister.tumblr.com
Somehow thinking about super-powers always make me appreciate my limitations. For instance, I would hate to have perfect memory. A bit of fuzziness here or there can be a great mercy, I think.

Or teleportation. Sure, sounds convenient. But I guess I just don't trust myself with so much convenience. I would probably end up like the humans in WALL-E. Right now, occasionally walking places is the only exercise I get, and if I started abusing teleportation.... Also, maybe I'm perverse, but I kinda like my commute, most days. I like train rides. Two hours a day of doing nothing - maybe a bit of reading, looking out of the window, but nothing "productive" - while getting carried from A to B. And if the weather is ghastly and I'm not feeling so fit, I can opt for home-office. Where are those excuses if I could teleport? Wouldn't people start expecting me to be constantly available?

Flying? You're exposed to the elements, and also you need to take care not to crash into birds and planes, etc. No spacing out, looking out of the window. I'll stick with my train rides.

Sometimes I think it would be neat to have that little gadget that makes people instantly forget, like in Men in Black, so that I could cover up for my faux-pas. But that would probably turn me into a sociopath. Escaping accountability can't be good for your character.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Probability control.

Nice. Too bad 'trump' has become a bad word, because I'd say this power trumps pretty much all others.

I'd chose shapeshifter. I'd love to be a bird - I'd be a fishing eagle. Or a marine mammal, or some kind of fish. Or something fast, gazelle, cheetah - or something strong - jaguar. Or smart. god-like: Elephant. etc

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
Painful, then the second pain would come when you could not convince anyone else of an important truth. (Oh wait, that's already happening.)

Sounds like the Patricia Arquette in Medium :p

OK, then, I choose unlimited (but controllable) strength, like Pippi Longstocking

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
Probability control.

What are my chances of winning the lottery? 1 out of 1.5million? Nah, we're going 1 out of 1. What's the chance I can lift this burning car off a pedestrian without getting hurt? 100%. What are the chances I can fly if I jump off this roof? 0, you say? Buddy, just watch.

ooh! like zaphod beeblebrox's probability drive but in a meaningful, controlled way! that's fab.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
@SteinbeckisGod, you stole my idea XD only, I would put down "psychic linguist" so I could not only speak and comprehend any language, but read and write too, because I'm thorough. I've always loved to travel and the idea that I wouldn't need to learn a new language and still be okay is awesome.

Plus, I could make bank as a translator.