• Total voters

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
As I was breaking down an empty Cheerios box this morning (my wife had put it in the trash can as is), then folding it carefully and tucking it in on one side of the trash can, I remembered how I used to throw away cereal boxes: crumple them up and toss them in. I'm not sure when I changed or, more importantly, why.

How do you toss your empty boxes?

Rob :)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I break them down flat and put them in my recycle box with all the newspaper and old magazines I didn't have time to read.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Broken down flat and placed in the recycle bin. Kind of like a divorce, isn't it?

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
This must be the sort of thread the other thread was about.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CaroGirl said:
I break them down flat and put them in my recycle box with all the newspaper and old magazines I didn't have time to read.

Like this. Unless I save the cardboard to use for projects. Some of our projects around here include:

making bookmarks
making roads for Matchbox cars
backing for mini-posters
stencils

Most cereal boxes are just the right thickness - not too thin, not too thick. Add that to your trove of useless information. You can thank me later.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
I don't throw them away -- I use them for shipping out things I've sold on Amazon or ebay OR I use them for an altered art project.This thread sounds a lot like this:
"Personally I get a bit tired of the "If you were a breakfast cereal, what kind of cereal would you be?" and "If you could burp and fart a tune in the woods, would people hear and smell it?" type threads."​
Are you being silly or do you really want to know? :) (I vote for silly.)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Actually, I'm wondering if how you treat your cereal boxes says something more about who you are. As I said, I changed how I treat them. Is it a sign of maturity, or of increased anal retentiveness? I'm not sure...

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
robeiae said:
Actually, I'm wondering if how you treat your cereal boxes says something more about who you are. As I said, I changed how I treat them. Is it a sign of maturity, or of increased anal retentiveness? I'm not sure...

I vote for your increased maturity (hard as that is to believe :D )
You have become more environmentally aware. Congratulations.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I usually leave them on the counter next to the cheese wrappers. lol

Leaving cheese wrappers on the counter is one of my husband's biggest peeves about me. It's a hard habit to break but, I'm trying. :tongue

I hate to throw them away because I think there's got to be something more that can be done with them.

Do you have any ideas on what empty cheese wrappers can be used for?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
OMG! Trash can. That's a no-no here. Almost a crime, actually. I break mine down and put them in the RECYCLE BIN.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We don't have recycling here. What I tend to do w/ them is to use them as mini-trash cans. I pick up the detritus and debris as I walk through the house, filling up the box as I go. Then I just take it straight out to the garbage cans outside.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I usea cereal box for coffee grounds, and other yucky scraps and stuff from cooking. I have a 16 month old that is intrigued by trash. The cereal box keeps the yuckies off of him when he figures out how to get the door open (which on occasion he does) and can dig around in there. No more potato peels, coffee grounds, table scraps, etc for him. (I also put the sharp lids from opened cans in there so he won't get cut if he finds his way to the trashcan. I have neat trash!

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
psy7ven said:
I usually leave them on the counter next to the cheese wrappers. lol

Leaving cheese wrappers on the counter is one of my husband's biggest peeves about me. It's a hard habit to break but, I'm trying. :tongue

I hate to throw them away because I think there's got to be something more that can be done with them.

Do you have any ideas on what empty cheese wrappers can be used for?
What are these "empty cheese wrappers" about which you speak?

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
They usually get used as a chew toy for our dog. She always takes out boxes from the recycling bin and chews on them if no one remembers to shut it tight. Cereal boxes seem to be her favorite (right behind fruit snack boxes).

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
wow. Our garbage allowance has been cut to almost nil here. Every kind of plastic goes in one box. Every kind of paper or flimsy cardboard (There's a name for it but it escapes me at the moment) in another. Corrugated cardboard in another. glass jars in another and cans in another. In the next town over they have food and other garbage...that's gonna hit here too. So that the food garbage becomes compost and other is the only thing that goes to the dump. Soon, we will be forced to eat that section of the garbage so that only recycling and composting exist.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
KTC said:
wow. Our garbage allowance has been cut to almost nil here. Every kind of plastic goes in one box. Every kind of paper or flimsy cardboard (There's a name for it but it escapes me at the moment) in another. Corrugated cardboard in another. glass jars in another and cans in another. In the next town over they have food and other garbage...that's gonna hit here too. So that the food garbage becomes compost and other is the only thing that goes to the dump. Soon, we will be forced to eat that section of the garbage so that only recycling and composting exist.
Holy cow! How many "blue boxes" do you have? We just have one blue box, for paper (newspaper and all kinds of cardboard) and a black box for all cans, glass and whatever plastic they think is commercially viable to take. Your recycling sounds complicated (good on you, though).

I do the composting thing myself. It's empowering to create dirt. God-like