• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Acorn Publishing LLC

Raptor

Registered
Reaction score
Doing #IWSGPit today and had a tweet favorited by Acorn Publishing LLC https://www.acornpublishingllc.com

They appear to be a vanity press, charging for 250 (soon to rise to 300), to publish under their name. They will guide you through the process of setting up the amazon/goodreads/ect accounts, offer a one time line edit, maybe some marketing help, but that's pretty much it. You are on your own after this... and you are responsible for your own edits cover, ect. If you want to publish a second book with them, the price jumps to 550.

Basically, you are paying for the right to use their name on your book.

So yeah.. that's a hard pass from me.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I received a like from them, too, but if I'm going to self-publish (and I might; I have done it before and done all right with it), I won't pay someone to slap their label on my book.

And that's $2495, increasing to $2995 in May! Uh, no. I have better uses for that money, particularly if I self-publish.

heykatydid

Business Lumberjack
Registered
Reaction score
I also got a like from them, but the website says the fee is now up to $3495. Dollars! Just for self-pubbing under their banner! Yet they still take three months to review submissions (of ready to publish manuscripts, since they apparently offer no editing)? I thought I was misreading that number the first few times I scanned over the page. Plus, the website is only geared towards authors directly from the get-go instead of being aimed at readers.

Acorn Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
In response to previous threads and questions regarding how Acorn Publishing operates: Acorn Publishing is a hybrid publishing company.
WWW.ACORNPUBLISHINGLLC.COM

Hybrid publishing is a fairly new publishing platform that is starting to gain popularity among authors who want to maintain control of their work, but still want the guidance and expertise that comes from an established publisher.

Hybrid publishing is NOT vanity press.

“A vanity press, vanity publisher, or subsidy publisher is a publishing house in which authors pay to have their books published. Vanity publishers have no selection criteria as opposed to other "hybrid" publishing models.”

Acorn Publishing was started BY authors FOR authors as a bridge between self-publishing and traditional publishing. Much like traditional houses (and UNLIKE vanity presses) all of Acorn Publishing’s authors are vetted for quality and we are very highly selective. We charge a flat fee upfront because our model allows authors to keep the rights to their work and we take 0% of the authors’ profits.

Everything Acorn authors make on the sales of their books is 100% theirs.

Below is a short list of the services we provide:

• A detailed publishing timeline extending 6-8 months prior to publication
• Weekly emails with step-by-step instructions and downloadable guides that walk you through the process
• Identification of target audience and genre placement
• Assistance in creating a pitch and summary blurb for the back cover of your book
• A free edit of your bio before posting an official announcement of your signing on our website and social media
• Inclusion on the Acorn Publishing website and relevant announcements in our monthly newsletter/newsfeed related to your book
• Consultation and feedback on your online author presence (social media, website, etc.)
• Cover design direction (this is very important as we have a high standard for quality cover design and must approve the final draft of the cover)
• Acorn Publishing assigned ISBN and “Publishing by Acorn Publishing” on all retailer sites
• A branded logo for the spine of your book
• Marketing and promotional support in the form of social media, newsletters, our established book review club, and representation at multiple book festivals in California where we will sell your book for you
• Connection with our Acorn Publishing author group and several other established blogging/promotional groups (this support is invaluable)
• Direction on navigating and placing your book on Goodreads.com
• A detailed breakdown of how to host a virtual launch party and blog tour and/or connection with our affiliated blog tour management company
• Instructions on how to properly execute your cover reveal
• The option to learn how to format your book yourself (we will teach you so you can keep the control) or a connection with our in-house formatter who will do the work for a small fee
• Guidance on interior book details including trim size, and details related to the design of your hardcover if you choose to produce one
• Our targeted Release Day Marketing Strategy guide
• Instructions on how to upload files to book retailer sites and print ARCs for early reviews
• ZERO upfront cost for print setup (Unlike other hybrid publishing companies, we do not recommend a print run which can cost authors thousands up front. Our print and ship model requires zero upfront cost to authors and no storage of books)
• Instructions on how to create e-books (if you choose to learn yourself) or if you hire out, where to upload your e-book for distribution
• Marketing advice on how to promote a $0.99 promotional deal for your e-book in order to increase Amazon ranking
• Guidance on building a mailing list
• Instructions on how to produce an audio book for ZERO upfront cost
• Instructions on how to file copyright and acquire a Library of Congress Control Number
• A detailed breakdown of how to prepare for book festivals, including all the things you’ll need, how to approach buyers, and an invitation to participate in the festivals we attend so you can receive one-on-one training
• A list of our recommended book awards to apply for
• Our professional guidance, feedback, and support on ALL aspects of the publishing process
• A responsive team who will email you back within 48 hours about any issue, any time of day
• A home for your book alongside other best-selling and award-winning authors

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
We charge a flat fee upfront

If you charge a fee, you're a vanity press. Calling yourself a hybrid does nothing to change this.

As for the fee that Acorn Publishing charges, from their website :

Pre-Publication Editorial Services - $25 per 1000 words

Acorn Publishing Package - $3495

Other fees you should be aware of are all up to you. We will provide general pricing for freelance book cover designers, website builders, formatters etc. so that you have a clear idea of how much you want to spend and what you will want to do on your own. At the very least you can expect to pay around $500 for a professional cover.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And it would probably be best if your product blurbs weren't reviews, as I'm seeing on Barnes & Noble for Choosing Hope and Kingston Court.

And for the love of dog, it's not "fictional novel".

Bloody hell, you have to use in-house reviews from other authors? Bad enough your authors' profiles extol the virtues of being part of the family.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've moved the thread Acorn Publishing started from Publishing FAQs and Resources (this first post from the new thread is neither an FAQ or a Resource) to the extant Bewares and Recommendations thread.

Acorn Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
All publishers charge authors. Traditional publishers take a VERY large percentage of each sale leaving authors with pennies per book.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com
All publishers charge authors.

No, they don't. Some publishers make their money from readers, and those are trade publishers/commercial publishers.

Some publishers charge writers, and those are vanity presses.

Traditional publishers take a VERY large percentage of each sale leaving authors with pennies per book.

Not in my experience.

And if traditional publishers actually do this, why aren't more bestselling authors lining up to pay vanity presses such as Acorn Publishing?

Acorn Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
To say that traditional publishers don't take a percentage of author earnings is just wrong. They do.

"Typically, an author can expect to receive the following royalties [from a traditional publisher]: Hardback edition: 10% of the retail price on the first 5,000 copies; 12.5% for the next 5,000 copies sold, then 15% for all further copies sold. Paperback: 8% of retail price on the first 150,000 copies sold, then 10% thereafter."

That's how they make money. It's a business. Agents take their percentage too. And more and more authors ARE leaving their publishers to self-publish and/or choose hybrid. Our author Kat Ross is one of them. Jessica Therrien as well. I won't name others outside of our business because I don't want to drag them into it, but that's the way the industry is going. Authors want more freedom, more control. I'm not saying our model is right for everyone, but it's a great option for those wanting to retain their rights, control, profit, and still get the guidance, cover appeal, and support of a publisher. There is nothing wrong with that.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
To say that traditional publishers don't take a percentage of author earnings is just wrong. They do.

"Typically, an author can expect to receive the following royalties [from a traditional publisher]: Hardback edition: 10% of the retail price on the first 5,000 copies; 12.5% for the next 5,000 copies sold, then 15% for all further copies sold. Paperback: 8% of retail price on the first 150,000 copies sold, then 10% thereafter."

That's how they make money. It's a business. Agents take their percentage too. And more and more authors ARE leaving their publishers to self-publish and/or choose hybrid. Our author Kat Ross is one of them. Jessica Therrien as well. I won't name others outside of our business because I don't want to drag them into it, but that's the way the industry is going. Authors want more freedom, more control. I'm not saying our model is right for everyone, but it's a great option for those wanting to retain their rights, control, profit, and still get the guidance, cover appeal, and support of a publisher. There is nothing wrong with that.

Trade publishers make money from selling books to readers. Vanity publishers make money from selling services to authors.

Reactions: samwrites

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marianperera.com

Your specific quote above was that they take "a VERY large percentage of each sale". As I said, not in my experience.

First, I've been published through e-presses that paid higher royalties. And second, at least an author with a trade publisher doesn't start out well over three thousand dollars in the hole. Especially not if the author gets an advance, which is standard if their manuscript is coming out in hardback/paperback.

That's how they make money. It's a business. Agents take their percentage too.

Trade publishers make their money from readers. Agents make their money from publishers.

Vanity presses, like Acorn Publishing, charge writers.

And more and more authors ARE leaving their publishers to self-publish and/or choose hybrid. Our author Kat Ross is one of them. Jessica Therrien as well.

Jessica Therrien is one of the founders of Acorn. Did she pay well over three thousand dollars to have her first book published through you?

I won't name others outside of our business because I don't want to drag them into it, but that's the way the industry is going. Authors want more freedom, more control.

And less money?

That's the only reason I can see for paying a vanity press which charges as much as you do.

I'm not saying our model is right for everyone, but it's a great option for those wanting to retain their rights, control, profit, and still get the guidance, cover appeal, and support of a publisher. There is nothing wrong with that.

What's wrong is charging them well over three thousand dollars while claiming not to be a vanity press.

Last edited:

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Traditional publishers take a VERY large percentage

Acorn takes 40% even after the Author has paid for everything with that whopping fee. I'd like to hear Acorn's take on what percentage they think Commercial Publishers walk away with per book, at the end of the day. After all physical overhead and office staff costs. After factoring in editor/s, art directors, layout/design, marketing/promotion, reviews, distributor and store/retail costs. After Author advance/royalty costs are deducted from the book. What do you think is left for the publisher? They take an educated financial gamble on a manuscript making them a profit, it's due to volume of sales, not the "whopping" percentage they "CHARGE" an Author.

I really want to also know what "Net" means to them.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
For the $3,495 that Acorn charge any author can buy editing, cover art, layout and marketing services and still have money left over.
What value do you add to the process Acorn?

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score

Can you tell us how many books an author would have to sell with Acorn for it to be a more financially rewarding alternative than going the trade route? Just a ballpark number would be great. Secondly, what percentage of Acorn authors, having been published by Acorn, have hit that sales number? 100%? 50%? 25%? 10%?

Thanks.

Acorn Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
Trade publishers make money from selling books to readers. Vanity publishers make money from selling services to authors.

As a HYBRID company, yes, we make money from our authors through our one time flat-rate fee. This is so OUR AUTHORS can make money DIRECTLY from READERS without a publisher taking 92% of their profit. Vanity Publishers charge authors and still make the money from readers and pay a royalty percentage to the author. All money still goes through the vanity press to the author. With our hybrid model, authors get paid directly from retailers/readers. The money does NOT go through us. We take 0%.

Acorn Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
Can you tell us how many books an author would have to sell with Acorn for it to be a more financially rewarding alternative than going the trade route? Just a ballpark number would be great. Secondly, what percentage of Acorn authors, having been published by Acorn, have hit that sales number? 100%? 50%? 25%? 10%?

Thanks.

One of the benefits of going with Acorn is that the money and sales numbers do NOT go through us. Authors work directly with retailers so we do not see those figures. All I can tell you is we’ve had a few quit their day jobs. While this is not the norm, it is something that can be achieved with the right strategy.

Acorn Publishing

Registered
Reaction score
For the $3,495 that Acorn charge any author can buy editing, cover art, layout and marketing services and still have money left over.
What value do you add to the process Acorn?

Below is a short list of the services we provide:

• A detailed publishing timeline extending 6-8 months prior to publication
• Weekly emails with step-by-step instructions and downloadable guides that walk you through the process
• Identification of target audience and genre placement
• Assistance in creating a pitch and summary blurb for the back cover of your book
• A free edit of your bio before posting an official announcement of your signing on our website and social media
• Inclusion on the Acorn Publishing website and relevant announcements in our monthly newsletter/newsfeed related to your book
• Consultation and feedback on your online author presence (social media, website, etc.)
• Cover design direction (this is very important as we have a high standard for quality cover design and must approve the final draft of the cover)
• Acorn Publishing assigned ISBN and “Publishing by Acorn Publishing” on all retailer sites
• A branded logo for the spine of your book
• Marketing and promotional support in the form of social media, newsletters, our established book review club, and representation at multiple book festivals in California where we will sell your book for you
• Connection with our Acorn Publishing author group and several other established blogging/promotional groups (this support is invaluable)
• Direction on navigating and placing your book on Goodreads.com
• A detailed breakdown of how to host a virtual launch party and blog tour and/or connection with our affiliated blog tour management company
• Instructions on how to properly execute your cover reveal
• The option to learn how to format your book yourself (we will teach you so you can keep the control) or a connection with our in-house formatter who will do the work for a small fee
• Guidance on interior book details including trim size, and details related to the design of your hardcover if you choose to produce one
• Our targeted Release Day Marketing Strategy guide
• Instructions on how to upload files to book retailer sites and print ARCs for early reviews
• ZERO upfront cost for print setup (Unlike other hybrid publishing companies, we do not recommend a print run which can cost authors thousands up front. Our print and ship model requires zero upfront cost to authors and no storage of books)
• Instructions on how to create e-books (if you choose to learn yourself) or if you hire out, where to upload your e-book for distribution
• Marketing advice on how to promote a $0.99 promotional deal for your e-book in order to increase Amazon ranking
• Guidance on building a mailing list
• Instructions on how to produce an audio book for ZERO upfront cost
• Instructions on how to file copyright and acquire a Library of Congress Control Number
• A detailed breakdown of how to prepare for book festivals, including all the things you’ll need, how to approach buyers, and an invitation to participate in the festivals we attend so you can receive one-on-one training
• A list of our recommended book awards to apply for
• Our professional guidance, feedback, and support on ALL aspects of the publishing process
• A responsive team who will email you back within 48 hours about any issue, any time of day
• A home for your book alongside other best-selling and award-winning authors

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
One of the benefits of going with Acorn is that the money and sales numbers do NOT go through us. Authors work directly with retailers so we do not see those figures. All I can tell you is we’ve had a few quit their day jobs. While this is not the norm, it is something that can be achieved with the right strategy.

How is payment going directly to them if you (Acorn Publishing) is listed as the vendor of record for the title. How does Amazon recognize that in their system.

In doing some rough math, it looks the majority of books being sold by Acorn on Amazon are being sold as ebooks (I see there are paper options, but their sales ranks would suggest that isn't where the bulk of the sales are going for each title). Further, I see that the cover price for the Kindle books is typically a little less than $5 which means if Amazon was taking a 50% cut of the money (I'm sure that percentage isn't exact, but I assume it's in the ballpark) the author would be getting $2.50/each copy sold.

If the figure upthread is correct -- that Acorn is charging $2995 for the book to be edited/cover design/etc., then the author is going to need to sell almost 1200 copies of the Kindle version of his/her book before breaking even. If they don't sell 1000 copies of the book (which would be a very good number for a self-published title) then the author has lost money over the course of this process. Right? Or am I missing something?