The Labyrinth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Have you ever seen the movie The Labyrinth with David Bowie in it? If you have then do you remember the part where the girl is talking to the two door guards (actually 4 as they each had two heads) Anyway....

One of them always lies and one of them always tells the truth so the girl asked a couple of questions to determine who was the liar and who wasn't.

Does anyone recall what these questions were and can you explain the process of logic used to make the determination?

I've been haunted by this for years... no laughing! :D

PS - what was the name Bastian yells out in the movie The Neverending Story?

If I can get some answers to these things my mind will have greater peace than it has had in years. Please help me find the answers. PLEASE I'm begging for your help. lol

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I haven't seen either film, but really oughta see Labyrinth -- at least for Bowie. I remember Bowie's voice saying "Turn back, Sarah... before it's too late!" from a clip.

I'm just guessing that the questions would have involved asking each one whether the other one would tell the truth. Looking forward to hearing the answer from someone cluier than I.

Annabella

writer again
Registered
Reaction score
I found a transcript. Does that help any? I'm afraid I'm not very good at explaining logic stuff :)
SARAH: WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?
JIM: TRY ONE OF THESE DOORS.
TIM: ONE OF THEM LEADS TO THE CASTLE,
TIM: AND THE OTHER ONE LEADS TO--
RALPH: BA BA BA BUM!
TIM: CERTAIN DEATH!
GUARDS: OOH! OOH!
SARAH: WHICH ONE IS WHICH?
JIM: WE CAN'T TELL YOU.
SARAH: WHY NOT?
JIM: UH... I, UH...
JIM: WE DON'T KNOW.
TIM: BUT THEY DO.
SARAH: OH. THEN I'LL ASK THEM.
ALPH: UH...
ALPH: YOU CAN ONLY ASK ONE OF US.
RALPH: IT'S IN THE RUlES ONE OF US ALWAYS TELLS THE TRUTH, AND HE ALWAYS LIES.
ALPH: I DO NOT! I TELL THE TRUTH!
RALPH: OH, WHAT A LIE!
TIM: HA HA HA!
ALPH: HE'S THE LIAR!
SARAH: ALL RIGHT. ANSWER YES OR NO. WOULD HE TELL ME THAT THIS DOOR LEADS TO THE CASTLE?
ALPH: UH...
ALPH: WHAT DO YOU THINK?
ALPH: REALLY?
ALPH: YES.
SARAH: THEN THE OTHER DOOR LEADS TO THE CASTLE, AND THIS DOOR LEADS TO CERTAIN DEATH.
ALPH: HE COULD BE TELLING THE TRUTH.
SARAH: BUT THEN YOU WOULDN'T BE, SO IF YOU SAID HE SAID YES, THE ANSWER IS NO.
ALPH: I COULD BE TELLING THE TRUTH.
SARAH: THEN HE'D BE LYING. THE ANSWER WOULD STILL BE NO.

ALPH: IS THAT RIGHT?
RALPH: I DON'T KNOW. I'VE NEVER UNDERSTOOD IT.
SARAH: NO, IT'S RIGHT. I'VE FIGURED IT OUT. I COULDN'T DO IT BEFORE. I THINK I'M GETTING SMARTER. IT'S A PIECE OF CAKE!

I think Moonchild is the name bastian calls.

jenngreenleaf

Here to network and learn.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenngreeenleaf.com
"PS - what was the name Bastian yells out in the movie The Neverending Story?"Wasn't it his mother's name, Moira? Or something similar?

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
SARAH: THEN THE OTHER DOOR LEADS TO THE CASTLE, AND THIS DOOR LEADS TO CERTAIN DEATH.
ALPH: HE COULD BE TELLING THE TRUTH.
SARAH: BUT THEN YOU WOULDN'T BE, SO IF YOU SAID HE SAID YES, THE ANSWER IS NO.
ALPH: I COULD BE TELLING THE TRUTH.
SARAH: THEN HE'D BE LYING. THE ANSWER WOULD STILL BE NO.

I think I'm gonna need some Advil before contemplating this.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
This is one of my favorite movies!

You remind me of the babe
What babe?
Babe with the power
What power?
Power of voodoo
Who do?
You do
Do what?
Remind me of the babe

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I've read that stupid thing 5 times, What a headache. Thanks for refreshing that bit of misery on my brain. I get it, I really do, but....oh hell...

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
my head is spinning.
i'm putting Labrynth in my Netflix queue..(don't know why we don't own this)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
And the name Bastian yells is, indeed, Moon Child.
Bastian's mother's name is Moon Child? Weird. I tried to find that out myself when I rented the dvd. I turned on the subtitling feature but it didn't say what he shouted.

Subtitling won't tell you what Charlotte whispers to Bob at the end of Lost in Translation either. I hear Scarlett Johansson is babe too.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
CaroGirl said:
Bastian's mother's name is Moon Child? Weird. I tried to find that out myself when I rented the dvd. I turned on the subtitling feature but it didn't say what he shouted.

No, I'm not sure what Bastian's mother's name is. I honestly think that the line "My mother had a wonderful name," is a bit misleading in the film. He says it, but that doesn't mean it's the name he gives the Childlike Empress.

I am only certain that it's Moon Child because I read the novel (and I highly recommend it to fans of the film, it's fantastic!). And if you watch the film again, listen hard to what Bastian shouts. Definitely Moon Child.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I loved the labyrinth. I still listen to the soundtrack. "I move the stars for no one!"

The one thing about the Labyrinth that I really could've lived without, however, was David Bowie in very tight tights. Very, very tight tights.

*shudder*

I'm a huge Henson fan, though. "The Dark Crystal" could have been one of the greatest fantasy films if they only shot the horrible narrator in the face the moment he thought about opening his mouth, and kept Augra from being Yoda!

I wish Henson had made more raw fantasy films like that. Puppetry has been replaced by CGI. CGI doesn't have the same visceral presence. CGI is so cold.

The Dark Crystal really felt like a world you could fall into. Brian Froud's work in Labyrinth and Dark Crystal really was incredible.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
chaostitan said:
No, I'm not sure what Bastian's mother's name is. I honestly think that the line "My mother had a wonderful name," is a bit misleading in the film. He says it, but that doesn't mean it's the name he gives the Childlike Empress.

I am only certain that it's Moon Child because I read the novel (and I highly recommend it to fans of the film, it's fantastic!). And if you watch the film again, listen hard to what Bastian shouts. Definitely Moon Child.

In the original German version, he did not say, "My mother had a beautiful name." He said, "I would give her such a beautiful name." Moon Child is what he screams, but this is not his mother's name. The story is German, and in Germany, it is not legal to give your child a name like this, that is actually not a name.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
badducky said:
I wish Henson had made more raw fantasy films like that. Puppetry has been replaced by CGI.

Don't forget Farscape! Almost entirely puppetry instead of CGI, beautifully done, and rolling in character.

And fans complaining it was the Muppets in Space. Idiots...

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
psy7ven said:
I think I'm gonna need some Advil before contemplating this.

Okay...Sarah asked the guard a question that she knew would result in the opposite of truth, and she reversed it. Mr Truthteller, or Mr Liar, but she doesn't know which is which.

Scenario 1: Sarah is talking to Mr Liar.

Sarah: Would he say that this door leads to the castle?

Mr Liar: Yes.

Mr Truthteller would say that the door does not lead to the castle, because it does not. Mr Liar says yes, because he is lying about what Mr Truthteller's answer would be.

Scenario 2: Sarah is talking to Mr Truthteller

Sarah: Would he say that this door leads to the castle?

Mr Truthteller: Yes

Mr Liar would say that the door leads to the castle, because it does not. Mr Truthteller says yes, because that is what Mr Liar's answer would be.

Now as to why it did not work, we can only assume that Jeroth deliberately misinformed the guardsmen to confuse Sarah, or that they are pulling a prank on her, and there are no absolutes about who lies and who tells the truth. When she says, "I think I'm getting smarter," she is being lulled into a false sense of security. It is unlikely that Jeroth would give Sarah a riddle that would result in a shortcut to solve the Labrynth. It seemed that he had planned for her to fall in love with the magic of the Labrynth and never want to go home.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Of course, Celia, you forget that the path did, in fact, lead to the castle in about half an hour, and not to her certain doom.

In fact, the helping hands did not destroy her. They ended up "helping".

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
I just thought of something. Couldn't you go up to one of the two people and ask the one on your right "Are you on my right?" If they say yes, they are telling the truth, if they say no, they are not telling the truth.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Yes, but then you've used up your question and gotten nowhere. Although I don't think they specifically said that, it's basically the rule.

I prefer Pratchett's version, which is effectively "Is this the right door, oh, and in case you're thinking about being Mr. Clever, you're going in first."

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
badducky said:
Of course, Celia, you forget that the path did, in fact, lead to the castle in about half an hour, and not to her certain doom.

No, I didn't forget that she got to the castle at the end of the movie. It was not the "path" that was supposed to lead to the castle, but the door. It was already understood that the path would lead to the castle.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
WDS said:
I just thought of something. Couldn't you go up to one of the two people and ask the one on your right "Are you on my right?" If they say yes, they are telling the truth, if they say no, they are not telling the truth.

That would tell her which one was telling the truth, but it woudn't tell her which door to choose.

WDS

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I misread then. I have not seen the movie so I guess I missed some of the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.