Contribbing to AW

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I just contributed a fair chunk of my monthly retire income to AW. The several days downtime while AW moves to a newer and better server with better software has emphasized for me how much value I've received from AW over the years I've been a part of it. Lots of smart and knowledgeable people have helped me be a better writer, and I'm grateful. So THANK YOU. But I can only say Thank You by aiding AW, the midwife of all your comments.

One point. I was at first wary of using the Subscription link, afraid it would commit me to automatic monthly contributions, a kind of service which has gotten me burned. But I discovered that AW's can also be used to post one-time as well as monthly contributions, so I now use it every few months when I can afford to give back to AW and its members.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The board moderator may choose to relocate this post, but in the meantime, thanks, Laer, for reminding all of us who missed AW during its down time that it doesn't operate on our gratitude but takes actual monetary input.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
The board moderator may choose to relocate this post, but in the meantime, thanks, Laer, for reminding all of us who missed AW during its down time that it doesn't operate on our gratitude but takes actual monetary input.

Maybe move it to one with more visitors? I only thought of this forum because I hang out here most and so have gotten the most benefit from the ideas and suggestions of its members, and so most want to thank the other AWers, indirectly, through contributing to AW upkeep.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Laer. I try to do the same when I can, but sometimes it's just not in the cards, esp. lately. Still, this past week has definitely been a reminder not only of how much a role AW plays in my life and the lives of others, but how much I just plain feel lost without this community and all its members, so many of whom give something invaluable back in the form of their time even when they can't support the forums directly. We do what we can, when we can, and trust that'll be enough. And FWIW I'm fine with this staying here.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
It's definitely true that I tend to notice the importance of something most when I am deprived of it for a bit. Oh so many times this last week, I found myself wondering what people on AW might say or think about something, and sometimes my hand strayed by blind habit to the link on my bookmarks or on google. I usually stopped myself first, but a few times I had those "doh!" moments when I clicked and remembered, then felt bad for complicating things (sorry).

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now I can't even remember what it was, but I had a question come up that I would have asked in Office Party, nothing to do with writing, because even though I couldn't google it well enough to get an answer, I was confident someone at AW would know. Why? Because every other weird question I've asked has had that outcome.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We do value participating in the community more than anything else.

That said, the costs of running AW have increased

We don't require a specific amount to for a voluntary subscription to AW; you can send a couple bucks and you're still considered a Kind Benefactor.

If you have a PayPal account you can log on to PayPal directly and send whatever you feel comfortable with to paypal@absolutewrite.
  • Only Mac accesses PayPal or that email account.
  • If you want the benefits, you'll need to let Mac know your AW User name.
  • You can subscribe for another member, too.

(Less than 2% of the people who have logged in the last year are Kind Benefactors).

If you're buying something from Amazon anyway, why not use an AW Link?

You can always just click the link for the AW Amazon Affiliate Store at the top of any forum page.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you explain to us what using the AW link to make a purchase on Amazon does?

Maryn, easily befuddled

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's very important for those who can, do. Even just a little bit helps, if the person can. AW has been amazing for me, so I will donate again. Some websites have an amount/goal on their main page and then it shows the membership what is needed then once the goal is reached everyone on the board can breath easy till the next go around. I think if AW is short of donations this would be a great way to maybe boost what is donated, maybe those who donate are thinking they don't need to because the site is running and they might figure all the money you need has been raised. Just a suggestion.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Can you explain to us what using the AW link to make a purchase on Amazon does?

Maryn, easily befuddled

It's an Amazon Affliate link - if you use it to buy stuff, AW will get a small percentage of the price at no extra cost to you.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How did I not know about this? As in, duh? Thank you.

oneblindmouse

The new me
Registered
Reaction score
It's surprisingly easy to contribute if you have a PayPal account (and I loathe all things techy!)