PDA

View Full Version : Great Deal on Pilot Metropolitan Fountain Pen (ends Friday 1/5/2017)

AW Admin
01-03-2018, 07:30 PM
The retail for the Pilot Metropoli pen is usually c. $15.00.

It's a great starter pen. Right now, it's $11.99.

https://www.birminghampens.com/collections/pilot-fountain-pens

Marissa D
01-03-2018, 07:56 PM
Do you recommend the fine or medium nib for a someone new to them?

AW Admin
01-03-2018, 09:05 PM
Do you recommend the fine or medium nib for a someone new to them?

I'd suggest with this pen that the Medium is the one to start with. It's a Japanese nib, so it's a bit smaller that most European nibs, because of the nature of Japanese characters.

The hard question: which color pen ?

Ari Meermans
01-03-2018, 09:25 PM
Oooh. It is a hard choice, but I'ma thinkin' I really like that Silver Python (https://www.birminghampens.com/collections/pilot-fountain-pens/products/pilot-metropolitan-fountain-pen-silver-python).

Justobuddies
01-03-2018, 09:26 PM
I couldn't find anything that referred to the weight of the pen. I'm a bit odd in that I do like a pen with a good heft too it so it feels like there's something of substance, guess it's from having rather big hands. I can't find ball or gel pens that fit that bill all too often, and when I do I usually can't find the refills for them.

Old Hack
01-04-2018, 09:54 PM
I like the green, orange or turquoise ones.

I am tempted by them all.

AW Admin
01-05-2018, 04:40 AM
I couldn't find anything that referred to the weight of the pen. I'm a bit odd in that I do like a pen with a good heft too it so it feels like there's something of substance, guess it's from having rather big hands. I can't find ball or gel pens that fit that bill all too often, and when I do I usually can't find the refills for them.

The Metropolitans have a metal body; they do have some heft, but they're not too unwieldy to use with the cap posted (i.e. on the opposite end of the pen from the nib).

If you're looking for a heavy but affordable fountain pen, the Chinese Jinhao 450 or X450 might be a good option. It's almost too heavy for me, especially with the cap posted. But it's often available on Ebay for under $3.00.

The nib on the Jinhao is a standard #6 nib, and so if you like the pen but not the nib, all sorts of places sell nibs that you can swap.