Good conferences for pitching agents?

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Hi all,

I attended the New York Pitch Conference over a year ago. It was an amazing experience, and I loved pitching agents and editors across a desk. (Even better: they *expected* you to read your written pitch rather than freestyle! Phew!)

I want to pitch more agents at more conferences. Has anyone had any good experiences? Bad? I'm aware of the Writers Digest conference. Any other pitch conferences out there that draw established agents? I've done some googling, but it's hard to find a list--or maybe the NY Pitch Conference is unique.

I write science fiction with a literary bent, FWIW.

Thank you--and Happy New Year! :partyguy:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There are lots of conferences which allow you to pitch directly at editors and agents.

Once you've pitched to them, they'll often ask you to send your query to them, and perhaps a few pages of your ms.

When you do that, your query will join the queue of queries waiting for attention.

There's a small chance that having met you in person the agent or editor will advance your query through the queue a little more quickly than they otherwise would.

But they absolutely will not make you an offer of representation if they don't like your ms no matter how good your pitch was; and they won't offer without having read your full ms, and they can't do that without first receiving your query.

So pitching will not really give you any advantage over submitting in the usual way.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't pitch if you enjoy it: just don't assume they give you any sort of advantage that you haven't already got.

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
There are lots of conferences which allow you to pitch directly at editors and agents.

Once you've pitched to them, they'll often ask you to send your query to them, and perhaps a few pages of your ms.

When you do that, your query will join the queue of queries waiting for attention.

There's a small chance that having met you in person the agent or editor will advance your query through the queue a little more quickly than they otherwise would.

But they absolutely will not make you an offer of representation if they don't like your ms no matter how good your pitch was; and they won't offer without having read your full ms, and they can't do that without first receiving your query.

So pitching will not really give you any advantage over submitting in the usual way.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't pitch if you enjoy it: just don't assume they give you any sort of advantage that you haven't already got.

Good points--thank you. :) I think I have a similar understanding to the one you shared. The pitch conference I went to revolutionized my perspective on the industry. I would pitch again not to sneak in the back door, but to get a deeper understanding of the vibes of whoever I would meet. (Sounds corny, but I'm an intuitive person.)

Now, TBH, I *do* consider it an advantage if I can say in a query letter, "...requested at XYZ conference." (Speaking from experience... though my experience is limited.)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I attended the New York Pitch Conference over a year ago. It was an amazing experience, and I loved pitching agents and editors across a desk. (Even better: they *expected* you to read your written pitch rather than freestyle! Phew!)

I want to pitch more agents at more conferences. Has anyone had any good experiences? Bad? I'm aware of the Writers Digest conference. Any other pitch conferences out there that draw established agents? I've done some googling, but it's hard to find a list--or maybe the NY Pitch Conference is unique.

I write science fiction with a literary bent, FWIW.

Thank you--and Happy New Year! :partyguy:

I have to ask: did you get any results from that pitch conference? I'm assuming there were no offers since you're still pitching, but did you get requests for a partial/full? Did you get any personalized rejections? Did the experience point up weaknesses in your pitch/query that you've been able to fix?

If the answer is no, then I wonder if paying for another pitch conference is going to be worthwhile.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good points--thank you. :) I think I have a similar understanding to the one you shared. The pitch conference I went to revolutionized my perspective on the industry. I would pitch again not to sneak in the back door, but to get a deeper understanding of the vibes of whoever I would meet. (Sounds corny, but I'm an intuitive person.)

Now, TBH, I *do* consider it an advantage if I can say in a query letter, "...requested at XYZ conference." (Speaking from experience... though my experience is limited.)

It's a slight advantage; if you're able to state "materials requested at XYZ Conference" in the subject line, it'll help move your query further up the line to be read just that much sooner. Doesn't mean much more than that, regardless of what you can intuit about a person or their vibe.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've attended the San Diego State Writers Conference. Which isn't happening this year, but is usually held at the end of January, and the Willamette Writers Conference, which is held in August. I haven't landed an agent, but I got lots of requests for partials and proposals (the book is a memoir in a hard to place category). Like you, I loved getting the intuitive vibe of the agents and learning about the industry.

That said, please note that there are two types of pitching: speed dating and longer sessions. Speed dating is 5min or less. Not the best if what you want is information and the gestalt of the agent. The ones with longer sessions are better for that. Both of the ones I attended have sessions of 10 minutes or more. The Slice Conference in Brooklyn (held in September) also does longer sessions.

One of the ways to check online for what you want is to google writers conferences. Then check the websites that pop up. You can check the genuineness of the agents here on Absolute Write in the Bewares section. (I usually do this by google, giving the name of the agent, then Absolute Write in the search box.) You can google for conferences in specific areas if there are places easier for you to get to.

Places to check for what agents want include querytracker and manuscriptwishlist. Agent Query is another site, but it's so outdated I no longer use it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
I have to ask: did you get any results from that pitch conference? I'm assuming there were no offers since you're still pitching, but did you get requests for a partial/full? Did you get any personalized rejections? Did the experience point up weaknesses in your pitch/query that you've been able to fix?

If the answer is no, then I wonder if paying for another pitch conference is going to be worthwhile.

Yes to all of the above! :) I learned a lot from a Tor editor--basically, I had a pretty strong SF concept that I was executing in an "overly literary" style (if that makes sense) without much regard to plotting. His feedback (and other feedback) got me to scrap the book, start over with that core concept, and really ask myself where it would go logically given the characters.

All that said... I also feel like I may not *need* another pitch conference. Out of 4 people I pitched there (with the book and pitch in the "meh" state I described above), 1 small press editor requested the full manuscript, and an agent referred me to a colleague at her agency.

After that, I spent about a year working through changes, then submitted to 10 agents. I got 4 requests (2 partial, 2 full, if I remember right) and 4 rejections. I'm confident in my ability to pitch this; getting more confident in my ability to execute; and really enjoy getting a sense of vibes.

Also, I met a lot of writers at that conference. Over a year later, we still have a texting thread going.

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I've attended the San Diego State Writers Conference. Which isn't happening this year, but is usually held at the end of January, and the Willamette Writers Conference, which is held in August. I haven't landed an agent, but I got lots of requests for partials and proposals (the book is a memoir in a hard to place category). Like you, I loved getting the intuitive vibe of the agents and learning about the industry.

That said, please note that there are two types of pitching: speed dating and longer sessions. Speed dating is 5min or less. Not the best if what you want is information and the gestalt of the agent. The ones with longer sessions are better for that. Both of the ones I attended have sessions of 10 minutes or more. The Slice Conference in Brooklyn (held in September) also does longer sessions.

One of the ways to check online for what you want is to google writers conferences. Then check the websites that pop up. You can check the genuineness of the agents here on Absolute Write in the Bewares section. (I usually do this by google, giving the name of the agent, then Absolute Write in the search box.) You can google for conferences in specific areas if there are places easier for you to get to.

Places to check for what agents want include querytracker and manuscriptwishlist. Agent Query is another site, but it's so outdated I no longer use it.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

That's really helpful. I definitely want the longer session. I feel silly--I have done some googling, but I'm not finding a lot. Maybe there aren't that many. I've looked at the Slice Conference--it looks good. I'll look into the other two you mentioned--hopefully they'll offer the SD State conference again.

Thank you! :)

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
The Surrey International Writers Conference just outside of Vancouver, BC has the longer pitch sessions. I didn't use them the time I went as I didn't have a manuscript ready. SIWC also has blue-pencil sessions with professional writers, but you sound like you're beyond what that might offer. I found SIWC to be a very good overall conference with high quality presenters.

I did do the pitch sessions at the Seattle area PNWA conference. They were the speed-dating sort, but like you, I got a good feel for who I wanted to send my MS to. Two of the agents in particular rubbed me so far the wrong way I didn't take them up on the offer to send what they asked for. It wasn't just my one-on-one time. While standing in line it was easy to pick up their attitude toward the writers and the process. The PNWA conference is convenient to the airport if you're from out of town, but I couldn't say it's fully worth the rather high price.

If you want to do this some more, I'd be looking at the conferences that are hosting a good number of specific agents/editors you would be interested in, and a different set than you've already subbed to.

chracatoa

COG: Sometimes, Heaven is Overrated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Near Puget Sound, in the beautiful Pacific Northwe
I did do the pitch sessions at the Seattle area PNWA conference. They were the speed-dating sort, but like you, I got a good feel for who I wanted to send my MS to.

I went to the two last PNWA and I felt the same. The immediate rejection is actually great. It means you don't have to send to that agent, and the problem is not the MS, especially if the pitching is working with other agents. It's just not their cup of tea. A request means your pitch and hook are fine, but you still have to have a MS that the agent likes at the end of the day.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I've pitched at San Francisco Writers Conference, DFW Con, and Writer's Digest Conference. I enjoyed all three conferences and learned a lot from each of them even outside pitching. After all, if you're paying for a conference, you want it to offer a lot more than just pitching (IMHO).

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
RT Booklovers Convention does both. The longer sessions are 15 minutes (I think; can't remember at the moment) and you have to sign up for those when you register for the conference; very few, if any, spots are open on site when it opens. There's also Pitch-A-Palooza that has 15 or 20 editors and agents you can circulate through; everybody gets 5 minutes with as many editors or agents as you want and can fit into the one-hour block set aside for the event, and no preregistration is necessary. You just show up at the ballroom/conference room where it's scheduled. The editors and agents are also listed in the program book so you'll know who you're pitching to and might be the better fit for your project.

I've pitched at San Francisco Writers Conference, DFW Con, and Writer's Digest Conference. I enjoyed all three conferences and learned a lot from each of them even outside pitching. After all, if you're paying for a conference, you want it to offer a lot more than just pitching (IMHO).

This[sup]10[/sup]. The pitch events at RT Booklovers take up so little time during the course of the conference, you really should take advantage of what the rest of the program offers. There are always several tracks of programming going and, no matter which you attend, it'll be easy to find workshops and panels to block out your time and justify the cost of attending.

gtanders

Registered
Reaction score
Website
leovaughn.com
Love it! Thanks for all the input, everyone. Really fantastic.

After all, if you're paying for a conference, you want it to offer a lot more than just pitching (IMHO).

Totally. I would never pay "just to pitch"--that's essentially pay to play. I did that in the music scene, and it's stupid. I see it as, if I'm going to pay for all the value of the conference itself, I'd like to double up so it's *also* the value of meeting agents and pitching.

Now I just need money. :p