PDA

View Full Version : New Year, New Bullet Journal!

DragonHeart
01-01-2018, 06:36 PM
My old one had so few pages remaining it made sense to just start a new one.

Notebook: Rhodiarama softcover, purple
Pens: Papermate Inkjoy gels

I'm actually not that thrilled with Leuchtturms, they ghost way too much for my liking. The Rhodia still has some ghosting, but not so much to be distracting. I think I'll probably be using these from now on, although I do wish they came with prenumbered pages.

Still setting it up but I might share some pictures later. I'm not artistic but I've been enjoying using colors to add visual interest and signify different things.

Anyone else enjoying cracking open a fresh new journal to start their new year?

Atlantic12
01-01-2018, 08:18 PM
LOVE IT. Love new journals, love pouring over piles of them in stores searching for one. I gave up on Moleskines and Leutchtturms not because they were bad, but because they got boring. I have stacks of journals (writing notebooks, really) with eclectic covers, some brush-painted, some beaded, some wacky prints, some vintage, some cheesy.

I never did a bullet journal and I'm not sure what it is. ?

I did decide to keep a to do list journal (maybe this is the same thing), so that all my to do lists are in one pretty book. I can see what I strike out, see what I've gotten done and what wasn't that important to begin with. Plus I tend to lose or ignore my to do lists, so I thought putting them in a nice journal book would fool my brain.

Happy New Year!

AW Admin
01-01-2018, 08:38 PM
I wrote a thing about bullet journals for AW's website (http://absolutewrite.com/2017/03/03/bullet-journals-for-writers/).

Bullet journals are a cross between ordinary journals, to do lists, and planners. They're designed to be efficient and easy to maintain, but many people also make them beautiful.

I started using a bullet journal last January because I'm now living without ready access to the 'net, I'm not at home, so don't have my usual tools. A bullet journal made it much easier for me to track my writing for work, and the stuff I need to do for AW. I started with a notebook my mom had had for years; I filled it up by June, and in July I started using a Shinola blank book.

Today I'm setting up a new bullet journal using a Scribbles That Matter dot grid notebook (https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=scribbles+that+matter&linkCode=ll2&tag=absowrit-20&linkId=4ea920957d3d6166d729bfbce709afb9).* I really love the quality of the notebook, and the paper is fountain pen and pencil and pretty much everything compatible (except really wet markers).

The notebooks come in a variety of cover colors and sizes; I'm using the usual A5 size most people use for BuJos; 5.7'' x 8.3. The pages are numbered, and there are two ribbon markers, a TOC/Index page section, and a pocket inside the back cover.

* AW Affiliate link

Ketzel
01-03-2018, 09:18 PM
Big fan of the bullet journal! I started one late in 2015, and was thrilled when, in mid 2017, I could instantly locate the chicken chili recipe I had found and copied down two years earlier. Such an improvement over what would have my past practice of trawling the interwebz looking for it, with only the memory "it used anise seed, I think" to guide me. :-) (I use the Leuchtturm 1917 grid pattern, and though it does have some ghosting issues, I avoid them when I use Pilot Precise V5 RT pens.

*Ketzel, going out for the chili ingredients before the major snowstorm hits tonight . . .

tjwriter
02-26-2018, 10:32 PM
I've been doing bullet journaling with an Office Depot Tul brand notebook. They don't have dot pages, but they do have graph pages which function much the same for me. I can customize how I want it to look and rearrange pages as I see fit, which I like. I've been using the injoy, tul, and zebra sarasa gel ink pens.

It's been helpful to get all of information all in one place for both work and home life stuff.

SlowRain
03-04-2018, 02:57 PM
I'm not into bullet journaling but, as a fountain-pen user, I appreciate good paper. You could also consider Life Noble (L!FE) from Japan. Very nice paper.

Technophobe
03-10-2018, 07:45 AM
Kinda. I only discovered bullet journaling last summer. So I got a dotted Leuchtturm in September, and it only lasted a month because I hated it; I need actual lines to write on. So in October I got a graph-ruled one. I like they system, but not drawing out spreads all the time. So after watching some videos from Yukiko Sakamura and one from The Paper Addict, I just got a Hobonichi Weeks to use as a bullet journal. I only just got it today, so I don't know for sure how it'll work out. But I copied this week's spread from my current journal to the Weeks, and that worked nicely.

themindstream
10-21-2018, 06:45 AM
This seems as good a place as any to ask (as many others would probably require me to sign up for a new account if I could find them). I just discovered bullet journaling last month and I'm still feeling out what works. What do people do to record a task that needs to be done on a later date? (Things like appointments and deadlines can go in the monthly and future logs obviously; I'm thinking more things like "remember to reply to that email tomorrow" and "clean out the closet soon".)

I've come up with one derivation from the standard markers already: a downard-pointing caret denoting "push this task to tomorrow". It's a middle point before scheduling or migrating; the informal rule is that if I'm starting a new page and it's still not done it needs to be otherwise resolved. I'm also thinking of starting to use a spiral bullet to indicate recurring tasks.