The Dress Lodger, by Sheri Holman

Sarah Skilton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahskilton.com
I believe this was published in 2000, but I just read it this weekend. I thought it was quite good, especially since I don't often read historical fiction. Ms. Holman brought a lot of dark comedy to a pretty dreary time and place: 1830s England, during the first cholera morbus outbreak! (Not to mention love, sex, and revenge.)

Anyone else read it?

Ned George

Registered
Reaction score
I read this novel twice and have a copy in my collection of "don't give away" books. She's written another since this one, about Thomas Jefferson and the Mammoth Cheese, based on history.

I thought this book was excellent. It was really raw; I didn't feel clean once through the entire novel, did you? So I read most of it in the bathtub.

Since you liked this, try another called "A Conspiracy of Paper" by Sherri's friend David Liss, who's a prof at a University in Florida. He's written two others, and one is a sequel to this one about a 17th century pugilist who gets inadvertently involved in a stock market scandal! He knows nothing about money, "Makes his brain feel like it's been soaked in bacon grease," which is funny coming from a Jewish boxer. It's got funny moments, extreme violence but realistic, and Liss's research and accuracy are at least as good as Sherri Holmes's.

Also, both of these authors will reply if you email them through their websites. I'd never done this before, but both impressed me so much I couldn't resist. I was surprised by the replies, and pleased with their friendliness and willingness to communicate.

justpat

QueryTracker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.querytracker.net
I read this many years ago and can't remember much except that I really enjoyed it. Though I felt a little guilty because it had a chick-book feel to it (I covered it in a brown paper bag whenever I was reading in public)