PDA

View Full Version : The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Laer Carroll
12-27-2017, 01:19 AM
On Christmas night my lady friend and I finished watching the last several episodes of "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel." We loved it. Others have too, enough to nominate it for two Golden Globes: Best Television Musical or Comedy and Best Actress in a Television Musical or Comedy. Here's a link to the trailer, which well captures the feeling of the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOmwkTrW4OQ

Here's what I posted on my web site.

“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” is funny, touching, sad, and happy in turns, and sometimes in the same instant. Inspired by the rise of female comics like Joan Rivers and Totie Fields in the late 50s and the 60s, it has been greenlit for a second season. It’s almost a superhero movie in its heroic exaggerations, but it is also very effective because of the exact opposite. This is its subtly understated sets and costumes and seemingly incidental scenes which evoke the times. The show and the lead actress, Rachel Brosnahan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rachel_Brosnahan), have been nominated for the Golden Globes 2018.

The show is the mature creation by the team best-known for “Gilmore Girls” – Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino. For more info, see its Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Marvelous_Mrs._Maisel). And to see how to get it, go to its IMDB.com web page (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5788792/).

Laer Carroll
01-18-2018, 02:20 AM
Update: MMM won a Golden Globe for the series and for actress Rachel Brosnahan.

LAgrunion
02-03-2018, 07:45 PM
I too enjoyed this show. Rachel Brosnahan brings a lot to it. She's funny and likable. I remember watching her on House of Cards; she is so different in the two shows.

Maryn
02-03-2018, 08:22 PM
We're about halfway through it and enjoying it, although we understand it makes a few goofs about the stand-up business in that era. (It's entertainment, not a documentary, so I don't care.) Among the things I'm liking at the wardrobe and sets.

I do get frustrated at some of the plot elements. SPOILER (highlight to read): Midge isn't stupid, so why would she take those damned index cards prepared by Wallace Shawn and attempt to perform them without reading them first? That's just dumb.

And somebody's got to say it: She's sure expecting a whole lot of free childcare from her mother, who no doubt has other things to do. Between her job and the comedy, she hardly sees her kids and makes little attempt at quality time with them when she's there.

Maryn, still watching

thehansell
02-20-2018, 07:21 PM
I just spotted this thread and wanted to add how much I love this show. My favourite scene is at the end of the first episode where (spoilers) Midge asks Lenny Bruce whether he loves comedy.

Laer Carroll
02-20-2018, 10:19 PM
She's sure expecting a whole lot of free childcare from her mother, who no doubt has other things to do. Between her job and the comedy, she hardly sees her kids and makes little attempt at quality time with them when she's there.

The focus is on her as a comic, not other elements. Though as the series progresses, it begins to widen out so that you see more of the secondary characters like her mother and father and gonna-be ex-husband. At first they are more types than real people, but then they begin to become unique and real.

Blaireh
02-20-2018, 11:51 PM
I watched the first couple of episodes and I felt it was good but felt I probably wouldn't binge watch it, then a week later I watched a another couple of episodes and I was hooked. Binged watched then all and love it... can't wait for season 2.

Maryn
02-21-2018, 12:31 AM
I've watched all there is so far, and there are some issues my husband and I agreed were serious, the worst being that she is a smart, driven woman who repeatedly does really stupid things that have great impact on her career, and unlike genuine smart people, learns nothing from major mistakes.

To say more would be spoiling, and I'd like the show to find its audience without ruining plot points.

Silva
02-21-2018, 06:45 AM
In my perception of her character, she doesn't see how smart and lucky she is because she's naive, sheltered, privileged, and lacks self-awareness (smart isn't worth a damn if you lack introspection). I felt like the show did a good job of highlighting that (her manager is an excellent foil and one of my favorite characters on her own merit), and I hope she'll become more mature and aware and self-aware as her character arc progresses. (Otherwise she'll just be an annoying rich white girl being an annoying rich white girl.)

Laer Carroll
02-21-2018, 10:13 PM
...she is a smart, driven woman who repeatedly does really stupid things that have great impact on her career, and unlike genuine smart people, learns nothing from major mistakes.
Even genuinely smart people don't instantly realize they've made a mistake, and WHY they made it, AND avoid the mistakes in the future. Becoming a better and more successful person in all parts of one's life is a journey, a marathon, not a sprint. That's one of the appeals of stories like this one, that we follow along on the journey, cheering their successes and cringing at their mistakes.

LAgrunion
02-22-2018, 08:15 PM
It's comedy, not meant to be realistic drama. The main point is to amuse; everything else is secondary. In comedy, even likability is secondary. Midge comes across as both amusing and likable - that is more than sufficient. She is smart too. Definitely witty, and you can't do that unless your CPU clocks at a high speed. And Midge is frequently bold in surprising ways that make me admire her.

Smart does not necessarily mean wise. If characters in comedies were wise, it'd probably be a pretty boring show. Not that smart can't be funny, but it's just that doing dumb things is funnier. Doing dumb is also more relatable. I know I've done plenty of dumb things, and sometimes over and over again (without the benefit of being funny at all).

Look all the good comedy shows. You'll find people (dumb and smart) doing dumb things. For example, see the show Seinfeld. George is not dumb, but he is hardly wise. He makes a lot of mistakes and doesn't seem to learn much from them. But he is funny and remains an endearing character, at least to me.

Like Seinfeld and many other great comedies, Mrs Masiel exaggerates the follies of its main character to make the audience laugh. Keep in mind that this is the first season. Perhaps Midge will grow, and that's fine as long as it remains funny. But even if her wisdom curve remains flat, it won't bother me. Seinfeld ran for a long time. It was funny at the beginning and funny at the end. I'm not sure if the characters grow much at all during the series' run.

But I understand that humor is highly subjective.