Magical vagina trope

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone want to climb on the soapbox and talk about this trope in relation to romance? Where it falls short? Where it has been badly employed? Are there ever instances in which small degrees are acceptable? How much sexual healing is realistic? If someone was thinking about using it, what would you tell them to do differently instead? What are all different ways you've seen this trope used?

I'm reading Stacia Kane's Be A Sex-Writing Strumpet and she's slamming it pretty hard in regards to erotic romance. It's come up randomly during my internet trawls a few times this week, too, so it's been on my mind and I'd love to hear any opinionated person wax eloquent on the subject. ;)

I have some subversions in mind that I think are clever but I'm not sure how original they actually are.

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
It's basically "sex fixes everything," or a hero that instantly becomes glued to a heroine for no other reason than that they had great sex... or her vagina is magical, basically. It's a big fail when used in place of legitimate plot and character development. From what I understand.

Actually, I googled it and got a lot of insightful blogs ranting about how it's way too common in PNRs.

I was asking about it because I'm wondering about all the permutations of sex as bad shorthand for legitimate plotting.

(I'm off to google zipless fuck now!)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
When I teach "Sex, Germs, and Disease" I spend an entire lecture on the magic of the vagina.

pH, microbiota, muscle tone, glands, elasticity, pleasure - - -

I am guessing Lactobacillus is not part of the magic vagina trope?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've always heard it used in the context of ridicule, but I admit that I'm a sucker for stories where a wounded guy is, if not fully healed, at least put on a better path by learning how to trust and love and connect with a woman who has her own issues she's working through.

I suppose if it's the sex alone that heals and not the relationship it feels sillier. I also tend to prefer romantic stories where each partner has an arc and one isn't simply the plot device for the other.

I think there's a common trope (magical healing penis) where a woman who has been raped or something, or who has trouble trusting men because of trauma in her life, has incredible sex with the hero, and bam, her problems are over and everything is peachy. The masculine equivalent of this would be equally silly, but I've seen people (mis?) label more complicated and plausible arcs involving healing in a sexual and romantic relationship as this trope as well.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's basically "sex fixes everything," or a hero that instantly becomes glued to a heroine for no other reason than that they had great sex... or her vagina is magical, basically. It's a big fail when used in place of legitimate plot and character development. From what I understand.

Actually, I googled it and got a lot of insightful blogs ranting about how it's way too common in PNRs.

I was asking about it because I'm wondering about all the permutations of sex as bad shorthand for legitimate plotting.

(I'm off to google zipless fuck now!)
Erica Jong, Fear of Flying. :D

Jurné Ends

Registered
Reaction score
Writing as a woman with a :e2fairy: magical vagina, I would say sex heals all things. But seriously, I would say it depends. I don't believe sex should be the only aspect changing the character -although I could see if the character was the cranky sort, then sex would relax them and improve their mood. As a reader, I generally skim over sex scenes as they tend to steer into purple prose territory (not saying all do) so it's harder for me to suspend my disbelief if instantly the character changes based on a good orgasm

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well according to my husband who often tells me, "that's a powerful weapon you possess." I'm going to assume that us women and our vagina's are pretty darn fabulous and if that makes them magical...well heck...when the future king of england says he wants to come back as a tampon...then dang it you know it's got some power. lol....ok its 1am here so I'm off to bed asap.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
I agree with Roxxmom. When put into an appropriate context, love and good sex (the kind of sex based on love, not on lust and passion alone) can be parts of a character's psychological healing. The key word is PARTS, not only these but corroborrated with other plot aspects. (And yes, think that not in all times/ societies people had access to psychologists and psychiatrists and...)

(The fact that good sex on the physical side can be a part of healing of some actual health problems is also a thing doctors had researched and said it was possible. I had read about the benefits of sex and of the inconveniences of not having regular sex, but this is for another discussion than a romance site).

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
I am guessing Lactobacillus is not part of the magic vagina trope?

Challenge accepted :evil

I suppose if it's the sex alone that heals and not the relationship it feels sillier. I also tend to prefer romantic stories where each partner has an arc and one isn't simply the plot device for the other.

Thinking about this more, it's likely the lack of greater context that disappoints some readers.

I think there's a common trope (magical healing penis) where a woman who has been raped or something, or who has trouble trusting men because of trauma in her life, has incredible sex with the hero, and bam, her problems are over and everything is peachy.

I've seen this massively criticized, too.

the benefits of sex and of the inconveniences of not having regular sex

There are also studies about how sleeping in the same bed with a partner has long term health benefits, too... which gives me all kinds of warm and squishy romantic feelings!

I'm trying to hit the nice middle ground of "intimate connection with another person is one of the most important and beautiful things in life, but you still have to live with the consequences of your actions and it doesn't bring the dead back to life." Like one beautiful moment amidst the wreckage. I wanted to make sure I wasn't swinging too hard towards hopelessness or "sex fixes everything."

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So are you asking if sex is used to replace plot and that is considered lazy writing? Just want to clarify what exactly you mean.

I have no problem with a book being propelled forward by sex. I don't mind sex being the core basis of a book either. Different authors will give me different experiences. So for instance I've enjoyed Laura Leigh and yet I love Emily Griffin. Those authors are night and day.

Sex can be very beneficial to a relationship and I can see how it drives a story forward. I don't ever think of it as filler. I've read books where one sex scene is an entire chapter and when its written well I'll re-read that chapter a few times. That's when I know I really like a sex scene...when I read it over before moving on.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I think where it gets into difficulty is when a basically asshole character turns into a soft and squishy one because he found "the right woman." I think that's why it's prevalent to see the worst of the trope in PNR. The vicious, heartless vampire that suddenly wants to change ALL the diapers. IMO, it's the extreme swing between personalities that gets a story in "Magic Vagina" trouble.

OTOH, think about Sookie and Eric from Charlaine Harris's series that spawned True Blood. She was his kryptonite for many reasons, and on occasion he went very near the MV line, but Harris rescued him by having him commit casual atrocities. Sookie would get mad and not invite him over the threshold, they'd go back to their baseline personalities. Rather than MV, their sexual encounters end up being moments, not personality transplants.

I think the sweet spot you're going for, blackcat, is right where you should be. :Thumbs:

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
So are you asking if sex is used to replace plot and that is considered lazy writing? Just want to clarify what exactly you mean.

I'm trying to determine if my own writing is lazy ;) Just because I'm dealing with meaningful sex and sacrifice that have to happen early, I want to make sure the sex doesn't feel empty, or the sacrifice isn't out-of-character/out-of-nowhere. I think it will work if I pay attention to sharpening all the little details of their connection in my edits. It was helpful to realize that "details of connection" is where I need to place my focus.

I'm trying to avoid the vicious vampire changing diapers while singing Ed Sheeran's Shape of You. ;)

kssmith626

Registered
Reaction score
Writing as a woman with a :e2fairy: magical vagina, I would say sex heals all things. But seriously, I would say it depends. I don't believe sex should be the only aspect changing the character -although I could see if the character was the cranky sort, then sex would relax them and improve their mood. As a reader, I generally skim over sex scenes as they tend to steer into purple prose territory (not saying all do) so it's harder for me to suspend my disbelief if instantly the character changes based on a good orgasm

Just googled purple prose- nice concise term! I learn something new every day from this site.

yoghurtelf

yoghurt elf say wheeee!
Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, I read a YA contemp trilogy where in the third book, the couple has sex for the first time, and it basically derails their entire relationship. Interesting way to end the series ;) Well, it didn't end QUITE there, but the ending is not yet resolved... Yes, I'm hoping for a book #4!