PDA

View Full Version : RESULTS! (Mother's Day Poetry Contest)

William Haskins
05-14-2006, 07:10 PM
Thanks again to everyone who entered and to everyone who voted. It was great to see such quality work, not only from regulars but also from quite a few new faces.

I also appreciate everyone who helped spread the word through their sig lines and posts.

The Winners:

First Place (with 9 votes): poetinahat (read the entry (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=590892&postcount=24))

poetinahat will receive:

A 1-year subscription to Poetry Contest Insider (http://www.winningwriters.com/contests/pci/pc_login.php), a service of Winning Writers (and a $27.80 value). Poetry Contest Insider profiles over 750 quality poetry contests, plus over 100 prose contests, AND

A 1-year subscription to the Absolute Markets Premium Edition (http://www.absolutemarkets.com/), a valuable market resource for writers, courtesy of Ms. Jenna Glatzer.
Second Place (with 8 votes): KTC (read the entry (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=579964&postcount=5))

KTC will receive:

A copy of Jenna Glatzer's e-book Sell the Fun Stuff (http://www.absolutewrite.com/greetingcard.htm), featuring valuable advice and market information for writers and artists of greeting cards and much more.
Congratulations also to our Honorable Mentions:

Third Place (with 6 votes): trumancoyote (read the entry (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=587248&postcount=17))
Fourth Place (with 5 votes): dahmnait (read the entry (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=587620&postcount=20))
Fifth Place (with 4 votes): ideagirl (read the entry (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=581013&postcount=8))

Happy Mother's Day.

-William

Stew21
05-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Big Congrats Rob and Kevin!!!! Awesome!

woo hoo!!

dahmnait
05-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Congrats Rob and Kevin! And to everyone else who entered, the poems were all wonderful and made it so difficult to vote for just one.

And I got 4th place :D Thank you everyone who voted for mine. I am glad it touched you. I would have tied for 3d, but my vote went somewhere in the top two.

mkcbunny
05-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Congrats Rob and Kevin, and to all of the winners. A fine contest!

Albedo of Zero
05-14-2006, 07:27 PM
All poems were wonderful! Congrats to the winners. I'm sure it was a close race for everyone.

oh and...HAPPY MOTHER'S DAYS TO ALL OF US MOTHERS!

Pat~
05-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Congrats Rob and Kevin--and the other winners, too! The contest was a lot of fun, with some very good entries. Happy Mother's Day, everyone :) .

KTC
05-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Wow! I'm stunned. Congrats Rob...couldn't happen to a nicer poet!

William...I would like to offer my prize to #3 on the list. I already have Jenna's book and access to that forum. I'd love for the 3rd place poet to gain access to these valuable resources. Thanks.

Thank you to everyone who voted for me. Again, I'm stunned!

KTC
05-14-2006, 08:15 PM
I came on here to see if my pick, Truman, had taken 1st place. Glad to see you got 3rd, Zach. Faboo poem. They were all wonderful. I enjoyed the different styles of each poet. Congrats to all who entered.

P.H.Delarran
05-14-2006, 08:19 PM
what a contest!
congrats to the winners, you deserved it.

William Haskins
05-14-2006, 08:34 PM
William...I would like to offer my prize to #3 on the list. I already have Jenna's book and access to that forum. I'd love for the 3rd place poet to gain access to these valuable resources. Thanks.

will do, if only for the shock value of seeing one of zach's greeting cards on the shelf in my local drugstore.

ddgryphon
05-14-2006, 08:43 PM
While I think everyone who entered is a winner, I want to especially send good wishes to those who got prizes for it.

All well-deserved. I'm glad I didn't have to choose the winner, just my fave.

aruna
05-14-2006, 08:45 PM
Congratulations to Rob, Kevin, and all - great poems, great fun.

D.J.
05-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Congratulations Rob and to all the other winners as well!!!!!!!
Thanks again, William for hosting it!

kdnxdr
05-15-2006, 02:13 AM
Congratulations PTH & Tru & all HMs!!! Great work!

Cassie88
05-15-2006, 02:35 AM
CONGRATULATIONS ROB! Your poem is incredible. I think it's flawlessly constructed and each time I read it, I find something new. That last stanza is to-die-for brilliant!!

And CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU, KEVIN! Your poem is hauntingly beautiful, and I can still see and feel the ember.

CONGATULATIONS ZACH! The image of Birdy's "malformed wings" ...ahhh... kill me now.

CONGRATULATIONS TAMMY! What a tribute to your mom! So beautifully written....so universal. And that ending is so powerful.

CONGRATULATIONS IDEAGIRL! Your poem wouldn't let me go. I loved it more each time I read it and I read it too many times to remember. How proud your Grandmother would be. oh!

And CONGRATULATIONS TO THE REST OF US!! I enjoyed these poems...all of them, each and every one of them so much. I'd like to discuss some of them but I don't have them in front of me. Another post.

And THANK YOU, WILLIAM! You've given each of us a great gift with this contest. I've never been able to write a poem that I felt was worthy of my mother and now I've got one under my belt.

And THANK YOU, JENNA! Great prizes!

I'm sure the writers who are lucky enough to still have their moms with them were able to give them the special gift of a poem today. And what's better than that!

PrettySpecialGal
05-15-2006, 02:44 AM
congrats to everyone- you are certainly inspiration to get out there and do it! Perhaps, next time, I'll have one ready for the contest-- will that be dad's day, William?

mkcbunny
05-15-2006, 02:52 AM
And thanks again, William. You deflect praise, like it's the poets and the voters doing all the work, but you're the one steering the ship. I don't usually speak for others, but I'm pretty sure no one's going to object if I say how much we all appreciate your guidance, enthusiasm, cheerleading [Eee gads, Will in a mini skirt?], and effort. Thanks again.

To echo the query above, will we see a Father's Day repeat?

jst5150
05-15-2006, 03:00 AM
Congrats to Poet and everyone who entered. Some very well written poetry!

poetinahat
05-15-2006, 03:08 AM
Wow. I'm supremely chuffed. What a pleasing counterpoint to a cool, rainy Monday morning!

My choice didn't win either, and I don't like to discuss my vote in public -- but I'm proud to be among such outstanding company.

Just so you know, the mother in my house got a home-cooked chili dinner and a copy of aruna's "Of Marriageable Age" for Mother's Day. My own Mom -- it's a long way to Ketchikan, Alaska, from here. She and Dad are in port there on the way north for the summer. We talked on the phone.

Happy Mother's Day to all of you.

janetbellinger
05-15-2006, 03:28 AM
Congratulations to Poet and KTC and the honourable mentions. Hope everybody had a wonderful Mother's Day.

Susie
05-15-2006, 04:02 AM
Congrats! and way2go! to Poet, KTC and the hm's, and to everyone who entered. It was a wonderful treat reading all the poems. They were great. Thanks much, William for doing that for us.

poetinahat
05-15-2006, 04:16 AM
Gigantic THANK YOU to:

Jenna Glatzer for donating the prizes. You're a grand person and an inspirational leader, Jenna.

William Haskins for organising and running the contest. You encourage us all to be better than we are.

louisgodwin
05-15-2006, 07:01 AM
Congratulations everybody! There was some damn fine work in this contest.

dahmnait
05-15-2006, 08:54 AM
Gigantic THANK YOU to:

Jenna Glatzer for donating the prizes. You're a grand person and an inspirational leader, Jenna.

William Haskins for organising and running the contest. You encourage us all to be better than we are.I second that! You guys are great.

dahmnait
05-15-2006, 09:01 AM
CONGRATULATIONS TAMMY! What a tribute to your mom! So beautifully written....so universal. And that ending is so powerful. Thank you. Everything written in that poem my mom experienced with either me or my sisters. Everything that is, except the ending. That won't happen for a long long time. I was just so glad that my mom read the love it contained and wasn't disturbed by the ending. :) I made her cry.

trumancoyote
05-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Woohoo! Congratulations, the lot of ya'!

Especially you, Rob :)
And Kevin,
and
and...

KTC
05-15-2006, 01:58 PM
will do, if only for the shock value of seeing one of zach's greeting cards on the shelf in my local drugstore.

Well..that conjured coffee from my mouth! I'd like to see that too!

KTC
05-15-2006, 01:59 PM
Gigantic THANK YOU to:

William Haskins for organising and running the contest. You encourage us all to be better than we are.

My sentiments exactly. I couldn't say it better, so I'll just repeat them.

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
05-15-2006, 02:34 PM
it was wonderful to even have a poem in the same thread as poet, ktc, tru and many more.

thanks to jg and wh for the opportunity, to all the entries, to all the voters and finally...

to mothers!

dahmnait
05-15-2006, 04:45 PM
I have been thinking. Even if there were no prizes, I would enter in these contests. Given my competitive nature, they push me to write my best. There are some amazing poets here!

I would actually buy them. (I wonder what that says about the people I would give them to?)

KTC
05-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Hey all,

I don’t think an apology is in order, but an explanation may be. I received several rep comments regarding the actual content of my poem. I have to confess that this has nothing to do with my relationship with my own mother. Nothing at all! I was merely doing an on-the-spot on a topic that has been obsessing my thoughts of late. I love Miss Havisham. I have been considering a novel with a modern day Havisham character. Only…before she is stood up at the altar and ruined forever, she becomes pregnant with the fleeing groom’s child. Get it? I hope so. I just clicked on the quick reply button and went with my thoughts on what it would be like to have Miss Havisham as a mother. Judging by some of the comments I have received, I think a lot of you may have mistaken the poem as autobiographical. It was not.

NeuroFizz
05-15-2006, 05:13 PM
I'll echo all the others. Congrats Rob, Kevin, Tru, Tammy and Ideagirl. And add my thanks to Jenna.

To william, something like this turns out to be a lot of work. Your efforts on behalf of AW and poetry in general are appreciated more than you will ever know. The highest compliment I can give is to say that an individual leads by example. You do.

Sarita
05-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Congrats Rob! I loved your poem. Congrats to everyone else who placed, entered, and voted. It's wonderful to see this kind of activity on the poetry board. There were so many amazing entries, and I found it almost impossible to vote. Thanks for making it so hard on me.

Will- thanks so much for keeping us all involved in such a great little (but growing) community. You're our backbone.

Haggis
05-15-2006, 10:17 PM
Congrats to the winners and all the participants. You folks are very, very good.

trumancoyote
05-15-2006, 10:22 PM
Hey all,

I don’t think an apology is in order, but an explanation may be. I received several rep comments regarding the actual content of my poem. I have to confess that this has nothing to do with my relationship with my own mother. Nothing at all! I was merely doing an on-the-spot on a topic that has been obsessing my thoughts of late. I love Miss Havisham. I have been considering a novel with a modern day Havisham character. Only…before she is stood up at the altar and ruined forever, she becomes pregnant with the fleeing groom’s child. Get it? I hope so. I just clicked on the quick reply button and went with my thoughts on what it would be like to have Miss Havisham as a mother. Judging by some of the comments I have received, I think a lot of you may have mistaken the poem as autobiographical. It was not.

You're supposed to lie in poetry, man :)

After all, I've yet to have my first miscarriage.

mkcbunny
05-15-2006, 11:52 PM

Do tell us if you get preggers, Zach.

KTC
05-16-2006, 12:57 AM

You'd better have it soon, Buddy. You don't want to have a thing that big travel down the canal, if you know what I mean.

JennaGlatzer
05-16-2006, 01:03 AM
Ooo, I thought it was autobiographical, K-- and the fact that so many of us did shows that you did an excellent job making it feel real.

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. William has done a fantastic job of bringing life to this board, hasn't he?

Also, no one mentioned Joyce's poem, so I want to: it knocked me out.