• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency/Pub svcs] SBR Media

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it an agency? Or is it a publisher? Or is it an author services company?

Damned if I can tell from the website. I picked several of their authors at random and all their books on Amazon are listed as published by "Amazon Digital Services" - in other words, self-published. So I'm not seeing how SBR functioned as an agency for them. (The vast majority of the books I looked at were digital only, and most were being offered free of charge.)

If you click on "About SBR Media," you get a bio about owner Stephanie Phillips, written in third person with the occasional odd lapse into first person. The bio claims SBR is a literary agency, but I get the impression Phillips is the sole agent, has no prior experience as an agent, and her only publishing experience was nine months with Booktrope.

More weirdness: SBR announced the April 2017 publication of an anthology featuring works by their authors, but the buy links for the anthology (for Amazon, B&N, iBooks and Kobo) all result in "page no longer exists" messages. And then there's the big "Author Services" tab at the top of the main page, which has absolutely no place in a real agent's website.

I dunno, josephperin - there are red flags all over the place with this outfit. I'd think twice before submitting.

Last edited:

josephperin

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, mrsmig. I'm prepared to wait and find the right agent. Crossing SBR off.

Cmelliott

Registered
Reaction score
SBR Media

Any info on this agency?

http://www.sbrmedia.com/

I wish I had noted the post sooner to give you accurate information. I am one of the authors represented by Stephanie Phillips of SBR Media, and interviewed several other agents from bigger companies before she represented me.
She may have out of the box ideas, but she is interested in each author individually, and helping us as indies to get to the next step of traditional publishing if that is what we want. Don't take my word for it here is another fellow SBR author who explains why Stephanie is the perfect fit for her. http://www.wow-womenonwriting.com/76-FE1-StephaniePhillips.html

Publishers marketplace has also listed each deal she has made this past year, I included one as an example.

Publishers Marketplace: Dealmaker: SBR Media (Agency)
https://www.publishersmarketplace.com/dealmakers/detail.cgi?id=46951&s=all
Digital: Fiction: Women's/Romance. Magan Vernon's CONNER, about three Irish playboy brothers set to inherit the family franchise, to Candace Havens at Entangled Embrace, in a three-book deal, by Stephanie Phillips at SBR Media (World). Posted: April 13, 2017 at 11:48 p.m. Eastern. Submit publication data

There are no "red flags" when it comes to SBR Media. Stephanie Phillips is one of the hardest working women I know, I admire her and consider her a great friend and mentor. She has served in various roles in this community and is highly thought of and well respected.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. Finding the right fit with an agent is hard. I'm thankful I have Stephanie.