Among the things that Australia would rather you didn't know about -

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(No, I'm not talking about Manus Island or Nauru because this is Office Party)

- is

Crocodiles Launching Themselves on Tourists.

"We need to educate people on the dangers of being on the beach at night time."
<snip>

Mr Katter disagreed, saying the sheer number of waterways in far north Queensland meant it was impossible for people to avoid going near waterways.
"If you educate tourists you won't have any," he said.

Fair enough.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
If you educate tourists you won’t have any”!?!?

:Jaw:

... I always thought the politicians in those horror movies who swept shark (or other deadly wildlife) attacks under the rug because it would kill tourism were too ridiculous to be believed. Surely no one would be that stupid in real life.

If the only way you can attract tourists is by keeping them ignorant of your local mortal perils, then perhaps your mortal perils are deserving of some of your attention?

And if you cannot solve your local mortal perils, then perhaps you should not be endangering tourists by pretending to be a safe place to visit?

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Katter is an idiot.

I'm sure you've reached that conclusion independently, but I thought I'd add the perspective of someone in his electorate.

ETA: All this shit is because he wants to cull crocodiles.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Well, let's not forget this incident from last week, which seemed rather life-imitating-art given it's basically the plot of the B-grade Aussie/US film "Rogue." Fun times for those poor fellows!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
She has a really delicious looking leg. No wonder the crocodile went for it - (nice & smooth - no icky fur, & no hard hide. i'd go for it if I was a croc. Clearly the wolf tattoo was not an effective deterrent.)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, let's not forget this incident from last week, which seemed rather life-imitating-art given it's basically the plot of the B-grade Aussie/US film "Rogue." Fun times for those poor fellows!
Oh like we haven't all gotten drunk and fallen asleep on the roof of our cars and then had to come up with a plausible explanation....

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Completely unrelated, but here's as good a place as any I spose, coz Oz stuff, but I'm most excited that Victoria has today passed the Voluntary Assisted Dying bill. Woot!

As you were.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Completely unrelated, but here's as good a place as any I spose, coz Oz stuff, but I'm most excited that Victoria has today passed the Voluntary Assisted Dying bill. Woot!

As you were.
Moving to Mellers.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Oh like we haven't all gotten drunk and fallen asleep on the roof of our cars and then had to come up with a plausible explanation....

Well, quite.

As you were.

Yay! Melbourne! (And the other parts.)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My feelings on euthanasia are probably out of step with a lot of people of my general political bent.
Which is fine. As long as (as per marriage equality) you're not demanding that no-one's allowed the option (or indeed that everyone's forced to do it) because you're not keen on it. I feel like that about lots of things.
:Hug2:
ETA: Do we call it euthanasia, or do we call it assisted dying? Euthanasia sounds very Aktion T4 to me, and I think that words really matter here.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Voluntary assisted dying is what it is, rather than euthanasia.

Al, we are all complex people* with complicated thoughts. :heart:

* Except for Bob Katter, obvs.

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Which is fine. As long as (as per marriage equality) you're not demanding that no-one's allowed the option (or indeed that everyone's forced to do it) because you're not keen on it

Exactly my feelings on it. If you don't want to use it, fine -- that's your prerogative. But don't dictate what I can and can't do. I think a lot of the "slippery slope" arguments against VAD are almost as spurious as those against marriage equality. Having known people who suffered horribly at the end (even with good palliative care), the knowledge that the option exists is comforting.

And yeah, "euthanasia" is a very loaded term.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
If only we were all Bob Katter. A perfect world.

(FWIW my opinion's pretty much along the lines of the AMA statement - the legality or otherwise of assisting suicide is a matter for the parliament and the people to decide, but whatever the law the medical fraternity should have nothing to do with it, for pretty straightforward ethical reasons.)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Having known people who suffered horribly at the end (even with good palliative care), the knowledge that the option exists is comforting..

Yes. I feel very strongly about this. I think we need a way to protect it as a right, so that, for instance, it's the person's own decision, not that of, say, acquisitive heirs.