Link to this post and permalink

KellyC

wearer of many hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.2passthetorch.com
Okay, now that I'm feeling all squirrely about my HTML sidestep, I'd like to know why people have "link to this post" on their blogs. I'm thinking this is something I'd like to do and I've tried to read in this forum and Blogger help, but don't think I quite get it. Is it the same as a permalink? I've clicked through on links like this and see a bunch of html and don't know what to do with it. What is it for?

I tried including a permalink on my blog entry and just ended up with a link back to the same entry.:Shrug:

I think that what I'd like to do is for someone to be able to click a button and have a link to my blog entry appear on their blog or website. Maybe I'm not using the right vocabulary. Please set me straight here!

Thanks

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am not sure what you are asking? As far as I know the 'linl to this post' gices you the url for that post--so you don't link to the general blog which will being showing new content later that might not be what you wanted to link to.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
"Links to this post" show on your blog a listing of places that link back to that post.

Here's an example on my blog links to this post

The permalink allows readers to bookmark or copy a link to that specific post so they can still find it easily after it falls off the front of your blog.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
KellyC said:
I think that what I'd like to do is for someone to be able to click a button and have a link to my blog entry appear on their blog or website.

That's not directly possible. Assorted third-party blogging tools will let people automatically blog anything of interest they find onto their site, but it's firmly under their control rather than yours as the blog-owner.

There are two ways to get something similar. The first is a 'Post To' button - there are loads of these available, including 'post to del.icio.us' and 'post to digg', covering different communities. If someone lists their most recent bookmarks, that'll put the link up on their site.

In the case of del.icio.us - the biggest such site - you'll find the basic code snippet you need here, and can style it up pretty easily.

http://del.icio.us/help/forpublishers

The second method is called 'Trackback' - unfortunately, Blogger doesn't support it. It's not quite what you're after, but as close as you can get by default. If the blogger writes a post linking to your site, they can either enter that (or sometimes it'll be picked up automatically), creating a cross-link between the two sites. When activated, every post is given a particular URL, listed at the bottom of the page, which looks like something like this.

http://blog.wibble.gov/trackback/wibble/Weblog/i_love_trackback

Watch out though - it's automatic, which means that it can be abused by spammers (although many blogging engines let you moderate the results, just like they moderate comments). I avoid it like the plague myself, but it can be useful.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Richard, I'm very happy to see you here. I've missed your excellent advice and solid techinical expertise.

And XNav - he got Farked!! whoo hoo!

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Yeah - been doing a forumectomy across the board (as in, the internet, I don't mean 'the board' when I say the boar- oh, screw it) due to work commitments. Which have finally quietened down. And then stayed away a while longer, knowing that there'd be about a squillion threads and arguments to get reacquainted with.

Then I noticed that people were still arguing about Shelagh, and it all seemed manageable again. So hurrah! ;-)

And XNav - he got Farked!! whoo hoo!

Dugg too.

Last edited: