• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Westwood [Books] Publishing / Authors Press (formerly GreenBerry Publishing)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
http://www.greenberrypublishing.com

Does AW have a thread on this group yet? Bills itself as a 17-year-old 'partnership' publisher. I found them on the roster of the Tucson Festival of Books. Greenberry's website is pretty obvious about its vanity aspects, with 'publishing packages' from $899 to $4999.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Minor quibble: it's a new (Aug '17) company which claims 17 years experience as agents, marketers, etc. Regardless, I can find none such for principals Maribelle Birao and Aaron Gochucio.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
Westwood Books

I've searched the index and came up empty. I trust that this is a virgin post.

Received a call today from Westwood Books. They stated that based upon positive reviews and recommendations (on a book that I self published 6 years ago!) that there might be a good opportunity for a partnership. They were also especially interested in a book that I'm current writing online but only have about 25,000 words in the bank. So....they'll be sending me an email with more detail on their "partnership."

Their phone number is 424 348-3484 for anyone who cares to google such matters.

I would welcome any insight into this company.

Respectfully,

Chuck
a.k.a. Ergo

Ergo

Chronic State of Query
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight Riv. Sakes...they're certainly not the worst company represented, but they're definitely in the top two.

C Alberts

Registered
Reaction score
Uhhhhh okay... so I went to their website and selected a recently published book to see if I could find it available on Ingram. There it was, with a whopping 5% discount to bookstores (needless to say, this is not the standard discount). Interestingly, there was a second listing on Ingram for what appears to be the same exact book with the same exact cover and price, but with XLibris listed as the publisher. At least XLibris offers the standard discount to stores, LOL.

Both listings indicate physical stock on hand, although I have learned the hard way that sometimes POD books show these 'on-hand' numbers even if they have to be printed by Ingram before shipping.

Also, their earliest pub date is April of this year, and based on the listings on Ingram they have published more than 200 books since then.

In sum, they are an author mill, and worse than XLibris from the perspective of a bookstore. What more does one need to know?

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Westwood Books has surfaced once again--at best a vanity press, at worst a confidence scheme. Now ostensibly based in Florida, but actually traced to moveable sites in the Philippines, their tactics are still rather transparent, and cannot withstand careful scrutiny. Such ploys are simply thinly veiled cons crafted to prey on unsuspecting and/or uninformed authors.
Authors beware.