Amputees and war veterans

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Update: After talking it over with a writing partner, I've decided not to go the amputee route. I really liked that storyline, but my partner made some good points and I feel he's right. Unfortunately, you can't delete AW threads so I wanted to share my change in direction before more people comment.

Hi all -
I'm a former novelist turned screenwriter. I had remembered AW's "ask an expert" section and so came in today to see if anyone would like to help me out.

The screenplay I'm working on right now involves an Afghan war vet who lost a leg. The protagonist is a woman, so if you're female that'd help too, but not at all necessary. I went with the Afghan war because there are so many stories of amputees that come from it. However, this story takes place long after she left and so you don't have to give me first hand knowledge of Afghanistan. This is much more focused on her recovery and life afterwards. I can tell you more about it if you like, but essentially, if you have an amputee story, even if it's not about Afghanistan, I'd like to hear it.

I'm doing some research online right now, but I just wanted to reach out here to see if anyone had their own story they'd like to share. We can chat privately through email or whatever you prefer. You can respond here or email me at [email protected]

Thank you all so much. I'd like to do right but those who've been through this and really get to know my protagonist, so any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I might be able to provide some secondhand information. I did late-life care for my uncle who was a WWII above-the-knee amputee. He's deceased now, but never had any issues with people sharing his story.

Are you wanting to know about circumstances of the amputation, or recovery?

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
OP, this is sort of related. Yes I have personal stories of that and worse, but it might be of interest to you to check out an Indy movie called "Kandahar." It's a few years old, but it has this bizarre scene of a private helicopter pilot tossing out prosthetic limbs to masses of amputees in the Afghani desert hobbling to pick them up.

bananamelissa

Climbing the mountain of life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
melissa-field.com
Thank you for the replies Cyia and AI X. You all are fast around here! I updated my post above to say I've decided to change direction. I'm not going to do the amputee storyline after talking it over with a writing partner. It has to do with what happens to the protagonist, and he made sense that keeping the trauma focused in her mind and not her body works better for this. Which makes you want to say but losing your limbs is as much a mental trauma as it is a physical one. And I agree! It's just that in this story, she's at moments grappling with her sense of reality, and changes to her physical body would effect how it plays out.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You can ask a mod to lock or delete this thread. PM them and explain that your thread / title no longer fit your needs, so it would be best for the thread to disappear / sink.