Status
Not open for further replies.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
A JOGGER was attacked and killed by an alligator while on her daily run alongside a canal in Florida.

Yovy Suarez Jimenez, 28, was savaged by the 10ft-long reptile on land and then dragged into the water.

Nobody witnessed the attack, but residents told the police that they had seen a woman dangling her feet from a bridge over the canal in the town of Sunrise earlier that evening.

Building workers found Ms Jimenez's body the next day, floating in the canal. She was still wearing her Nike trainers, sports bra and biking shorts.

Shortly before her death on Tuesday night, Ms Jimenez, who was studying for a law degree and wanted to be an actress, spoke on her mobile phone to her mother, who had called to ask why she had not returned from an evening run.

She told her mother she was sitting on a bridge on the canal and assured her she would be back soon. She never arrived home.

A post-mortem examination showed that Ms Jimenez bled to death when an alligator attacked her and ripped off her arms close to her shoulders.

She also had bite marks on her legs and back.

Dr Joshua Perper, medical examiner for the Broward area, said: "It is my professional opinion that the alligator attacked the woman while she was on land.

"She died of traumatic injuries sustained by an alligator attack, a mixture of blood loss and shock, and died very fast."

Dr Perper said the alligator completely severed her arms, and bit her right leg and back before dragging the body under the water.

"I do not recall an alligator attack of this kind ever taking place in Broward or Miami-Dade," said Dr Perper.

"When they are hungry they can be very, very aggressive and attack for food purposes," he said.

Trappers were still searching for the alligator last night. They caught a seven-foot specimen, but it was not believed to be the killer.

If the alligator is found, it would be killed and its stomach contents examined, said Officer Jorge Pino of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, which is investigating the death in conjunction with Sunrise police.

It emerged last night that Ms Jimenez had been suffering from depression and had been on medication. However, her family said they were convinced that her death was not suicide.

Her sister, Angie, said: "She was a great girl, a beautiful girl, full of charisma. She didn't deserve to die like that. She was a happy person."

There have been 25 fatal alligator attacks in Florida since 1948.

Experts say that most attacks occur because the reptiles are protecting their eggs or looking for food.

More>> http://www.local6.com/news/9204051/detail.html

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right down the street from me. We have an alligator that frequents the lake in my backyard too. This is the first known alligator death in Broward.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
What a tragedy. I'll tell ya, though, the further we go removing their natural habitiat the more of this we'll see. They're hungry and they are running out of places to hunt. They're gonna go where there is water and food.

Please don't think I am a PETA nut or anything. That is a horrible thing, this poor girl's death. Plus, as far as them bringing up the suicide thing, if I were suicidal I don't think my choice for offing myself would be death-by-alligator-attack.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
I wish they would open season for those poor endangered things that have over-run our roads, backyards, parks and swimming holes.

I saw one chase a young lady at the space center trying to feed it a sandwich. That thing rose up on all fours and ran as fast as a horse after her. she was far enough away to get away as it tired out and gave up the chase.

Target practice would fit right in as well as an afternoon BBQ of Alligator tail.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Carole said:
What a tragedy. I'll tell ya, though, the further we go removing their natural habitiat the more of this we'll see. They're hungry and they are running out of places to hunt. They're gonna go where there is water and food.

Please don't think I am a PETA nut or anything. That is a horrible thing, this poor girl's death. Plus, as far as them bringing up the suicide thing, if I were suicidal I don't think my choice for offing myself would be death-by-alligator-attack.

Carole,

They’ve got the whole state of Florida to roam. There’s much more land that is wilderness than that which is inhabited. You can almost take a fifty mile strip from north to south down the state that is wilderness and much more than that tool

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
It emerged last night that Ms Jimenez had been suffering from depression and had been on medication. However, her family said they were convinced that her death was not suicide.

Duh. Suicide with a plastic fork would be more pleasant than being hacked to death by an alligator.

Just a year ago, riding our bikes past 10 footers on the street of the bayou we drove through, was commonplace.

But we moved away from the bayou.

When an alligator is crossing the road, anyone who sees it stops and gauks and takes pictures and throws food at it and spits on it and, etc.

Last fall, when at the park in Hattiesburg, MS., a man poured soda on the head of an alligator to "try to get r to do somethang!"

The way people act around wild animals, you'd think they were toys. They aren't toys.

And, they have a right to exist here, too. They were here long before we were.

If the jogger in question had kept on jogging, she'd be alive today. If she was dangling her feet off of a bridge, ..........well.........what can I say?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
eldragon said:
If the jogger in question had kept on jogging, she'd be alive today. If she was dangling her feet off of a bridge, ..........well.........what can I say?
Evening snack?

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I saw one chase a young lady at the space center trying to feed it a sandwich. That thing rose up on all fours and ran as fast as a horse after her. she was far enough away to get away as it tired out and gave up the chase.

Why was the idiot trying to feed the alligator a sandwich? There is no place on earth that has alligators, that doesn't have a sign saying "do not feed the alligators."

Its like the movie "Grizzly Man," you know, the guy who lives with wild bears in Alaska, until finally - one eats him?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
eldragon said:
Why was the idiot trying to feed the alligator a sandwich? There is no place on earth that has alligators, that doesn't have a sign saying "do not feed the alligators."

Its like the movie "Grizzly Man," you know, the guy who lives with wild bears in Alaska, until finally - one eats him?
I saw that one. He brought his girlfriend along and she wound up as a side dish. Ewwwweee...

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Kind of hard to feel sorry for Grizzly man, wasn't it?

"I love you, you're beautiful. I love you, you're beautiful."

In that voice.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
That part that got me was that his girlfriend tried to fend off the bear and ended up ... well...you know. When the bush pilot arrived the bear was still gnawing on the guy. Yummie...

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
eldragon said:
Why was the idiot trying to feed the alligator a sandwich? There is no place on earth that has alligators, that doesn't have a sign saying "do not feed the alligators." <<Snip>>

She was young, ignorant and probably knew she shouldn’t feed it. There were signs everywhere out in front of the Headquarters building and around the pond in front.

Besides, KSC is on a Federal wildlife reserve and she could have been Handcuffed, arrested and carried away to jail.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
GPatten said:

Wild animal alert. She tried to feed it and someone is surprised that it tried to attack her? Good lord. My brother has worked at the space center since he was 19 and he's 40 now. He lives out on Merritt Island. One thing they all know is when you see a wild alligator at the cape, the last thing you do is try to feed it.

I fully understand that this is a tragedy, but how can you fault an alligator for being an alligator? It's a wild animal and a carnivore. Open season? Sure. That happens here with deer when the population gets too high and people are hitting them with cars and all that. I don't see anything wrong with that, really. I just have a really hard time when people believe wild animals should behave like a cocker spaniel.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Besides, KSC is on a Federal wildlife reserve and she could have been Handcuffed, arrested and carried away to jail.

Which would be preferable to being eaten by the alligator.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
eldragon said:
Why was the idiot trying to feed the alligator a sandwich?
There are a lot of very stupid people about. I have absolutely no sympathy for any of them, and I'll laugh heartily when Steve Irwin finally gets bitten in half.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Carole said:
Wild animal alert. She tried to feed it and someone is surprised that it tried to attack her? Good lord. My brother has worked at the space center since he was 19 and he's 40 now. He lives out on Merritt Island. One thing they all know is when you see a wild alligator at the cape, the last thing you do is try to feed it.

I fully understand that this is a tragedy, but how can you fault an alligator for being an alligator? It's a wild animal and a carnivore. Open season? Sure. That happens here with deer when the population gets too high and people are hitting them with cars and all that. I don't see anything wrong with that, really. I just have a really hard time when people believe wild animals should behave like a cocker spaniel.

I know. LOL

Your brother may have worked with me, or near me.

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Carole said:
Open season? Sure. That happens here with deer when the population gets too high and people are hitting them with cars and all that. I don't see anything wrong with that, really.
I do. They were here long before us, they'll be here long after we're gone and they're a hell of a lot higher up the food chain than we are so as far as I'm concerned we should stay the hell out of their way. Unfortunately, no matter how many times nature shows us who's boss, we're way too arrogant to shut up and move aside.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Yeah, human beings are so arrogant!! They arrive at one place and 5 minutes later they thing they're the kings of that place.

Like the apartment building I used to live in. Cement factories were built in the area about 20 years ago. Less than 10 years ago, people started building apartment buildings in the area. Now they all want to throw out the cement factories because it is a hazard to their children's health and there's a school nearby (which was build 2 years ago)

I mean, come on!!!! Those cement factories were there long before the people, and if they had an ounce of intelligence they would have realized the danger and they wouldn't have bought a property there!! Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same goes with alligators. Think there's a potential danger in living near alligators?? THEN DON'T LIVE THERE!! Ok, maybe your job is there or whatever, but the least you can do is take preventive measures. It's just a matter of common sense. If you don't have any, you deserve to be eaten.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Dama! Ha, again with such logic. Keep it up girl. I need a big smile this weekend...cough hack barf...oh and double sneeze...

three seven

(Graeme Cameron)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
DamaNegra said:
THEN DON'T LIVE THERE!!
My point exactly. We take a swamp populated for millions of years by 15-foot armoured lizards with 80 teeth apiece and think that cutting a road through it cements our superiority. Sorry, that's not how it works. Strip a man of his rifle and his Humvee and put him in a cage with a saltwater crocodile, or a polar bear, or a shark, or an elephant, or a tiger, or a gorilla, and see which one's still standing four seconds later. Or stand him in the path of a tidal wave, or at the foot of an angry volcano, or on a golf course in a thunderstorm, or a field in Kansas, or a hurricane-struck trailer park in Florida and tell me what right we have to expect nature to bend to our convenience.

Last edited:

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
DamaNegra said:
Like the apartment building I used to live in. Cement factories were built in the area about 20 years ago. Less than 10 years ago, people started building apartment buildings in the area. Now they all want to throw out the cement factories because it is a hazard to their children's health and there's a school nearby (which was build 2 years ago)

Oh, we have that with airports. There's an airport, then the people come and settle down and 10 years later they think the airport is too loud and demand it gets shut down or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.