PDA

View Full Version : Currently Inked: What Pen and Ink are you currently using?

AW Admin
11-07-2017, 09:05 PM
This is a thread about the pen and ink we're currently using (paper too, if you'd like!).

It doesn't have to be a fountain pen; quill, dip, ballpoint, roller ball, gel and variants are all welcome.
You can link to an image (keep it to about 400 x 400 or the equivalent in pixels) if you'd like
See the FAQ: Image Size Guidelines (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?304595-FAQ-Image-Size-Guidelines).

This is my current pen for drafts and notes; it's a gift from a dear friend, who calls it a frankenpen because she built it out of two similar pens.

It's an inexpensive fountain pen from the Dutch department store known as Hema (https://www.hemashop.com/gb/shop/stationery-school-supplies/pens-pencils/fountain-pens/fountain-pen-(14420037)?variant=14420037). That's with an a; I misspelled it on the image.

I love it. It fits in a pocket or notebook, it's smooth, and utterly reliable.

http://www.lisaspangenberg.com/it/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/heme_diamine_midnight-1.jpg

blacbird
11-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Whatever I can get me fingers on at any given moment, the cheaper the better. I do a lot of writing in longhand on yellow legal pads. I sense a different dynamic in writing this way, vs. writing directly on a computer (and never in geologic time would I try to write on a smartphone). That's just me, I recognize, but it's the way it works.

caw

cmhbob
11-08-2017, 12:31 AM
My pen is one that I won several years ago from a local place whose name escapes me, but is now closed anyway...Oh, The Mighty Pen company. The top half is made from a .308 shell case, and the bottom from a .30-06 shell case. IT's a fairly heavy twist pen, but I love it. It's got a basic Cross medium black refill in it.

The pencil is a Kuru Toga 0.5 lead from Walmart, based on your suggestion. Very happy with it, although I'm still learning to not rotate it.

https://i.imgur.com/nu94E5Tt.jpg (https://imgur.com/nu94E5T)

Raindrop
11-08-2017, 02:24 AM
My precious is a cheap Parker Vector fountain pen, which looks a lot like yours, Lisa. I mostly use it for writing, although I sometimes sketch with it as well.

I've also been experimenting with a dip pen and indian ink lately -- for drawing. I haven't tried writing with it yet (I don't quite have the right nib). I like the rhythm the dip pen imposes on you: ink ink ink, dip, ink ink ink, dip. It forces me to slow down and pay more attention to what I'm doing. It's a bit noisy, too, just enough to remind you of its presence. (Yes, I know, I listen to my pen. o.O )

I also have a collection of fineliners and even a brush pen, all for drawing.

Lakey
11-08-2017, 03:04 AM
My daily workhorse is a set of Staedtler Triplus Fineliners (0.3mm) (https://www.staedtler.us/en/products/ink-writing-instruments/fineliners/triplus-fineliner-334-triangular-fineliner/). I carry around a set of 10 colors, though it's not the 10 colors they sell in the 10-color set - I've done quite a bit of customizing with their other colors. (I tend to change colors when I change days or subjects.)

I love writing with a fountain pen and I have a lovely Aurora but the sad truth is I haven't used it regularly in years. I don't really have the patience to take care of it - if it needs a cleaning when I'm busy with other things, it gets left on the desk and I don't get around to it again for a long time.

RedRajah
11-08-2017, 04:07 AM
PaperMate Sharpwriter #2

(Yeah, I use pencils)

AW Admin
11-08-2017, 04:55 AM
PaperMate Sharpwriter #2

(Yeah, I use pencils)

I do too. A lot. Partly because when I'm writing something that will require lots of revision, like translations, they're easy to erase and write again.

Partly because I can draw over them when I'm drawing UI or screens or similar things for work.

DragonHeart
11-09-2017, 03:30 PM
Right now I'm using Pilot EasyTouch fine point pens. Funnily enough although I've obsessed over notebooks for years, I've never really been too into writing utensils. But, a huge part of that is because I am left handed, and finding pens I can actually use has always been difficult. I bought a box of these Pilots because they were recommended as one of the best lefty pens, and so far I've been ok with them. They ghost like crazy but don't smear when I'm writing. If I could find a pen that didn't ghost and didn't smear I'd be a happy woman.

Cath
11-10-2017, 06:06 AM
I have a cool demo pen I picked up on my last trip to Fahrney's (it's a clear plastic and shows the guts of the pen). I forget the brand, and I'm too lazy to go upstairs to check. For ink, my choice this week is Iroshizuku's Chiku-rin (Bamboo Forest green), because why use black or blue ink, when there are so many choices out there? I *love* the Iroshizuku inks. The color range is fantastic, they flow beautifully, even with difficult nibs, and they don't bleed as much as some of the cheaper inks I've tried. I have about 8 different ones and use a different ink in each fountain pen I own.

Snitchcat
11-10-2017, 07:05 AM
If it's fountain pen and ink, I prefer my inherited one (very old, very good condition; I think it's a Parker), and love really black ink (think Chinese black ink), or a deep green, or a deep brown, or a deep purple. Will avoid blue.

Currently, a Pental Graphgear 500 mechanical pencil is the go-to instrument. Erasable, and also good for sketching. And if I drop it or the kitties get to it, non-breakable and kitty-proof.

AW Admin
11-10-2017, 07:30 AM
I have a cool demo pen I picked up on my last trip to Fahrney's (it's a clear plastic and shows the guts of the pen). I forget the brand, and I'm too lazy to go upstairs to check. For ink, my choice this week is Iroshizuku's Chiku-rin (Bamboo Forest green), because why use black or blue ink, when there are so many choices out there? I *love* the Iroshizuku inks. The color range is fantastic, they flow beautifully, even with difficult nibs, and they don't bleed as much as some of the cheaper inks I've tried. I have about 8 different ones and use a different ink in each fountain pen I own.

I love them too; for the colors, and the quality of the inks. Currently trying ink samples for this year's cards, and yes, there are some Pilot Iroshizuku inks in contention.

AW Admin
11-10-2017, 07:31 AM
Right now I'm using Pilot EasyTouch fine point pens. Funnily enough although I've obsessed over notebooks for years, I've never really been too into writing utensils. But, a huge part of that is because I am left handed, and finding pens I can actually use has always been difficult. I bought a box of these Pilots because they were recommended as one of the best lefty pens, and so far I've been ok with them. They ghost like crazy but don't smear when I'm writing. If I could find a pen that didn't ghost and didn't smear I'd be a happy woman.

Left handed tools (https://www.jetpens.com/Good-for-the-Left-Handed/ct/555) via JetPens.com

DragonHeart
11-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the link! I've heard of some of those pens too, that they're good for lefties. I am seriously considering picking up that sampler pack. My favorite pen at work actually just ran out of ink yesterday so it would be a good excuse lol. On the other hand I think I can just narrow it down to a couple I really want to try. The Zebra Sarasa in particular looks like it would be something I'd like, and it looks common enough to find in a local store.

Emermouse
11-13-2017, 06:35 AM
Alas, my fountain pen has died an ignoble death. I know, I know, you buy cheap, you get cheap, but still I mourn. Out of curiosity, is there anything in life where if you buy cheap, you don't get cheap?

Raindrop
11-13-2017, 12:13 PM
Alas, my fountain pen has died an ignoble death. I know, I know, you buy cheap, you get cheap, but still I mourn. Out of curiosity, is there anything in life where if you buy cheap, you don't get cheap?
I don't know, but my cheap Parker Vector is still going fine after five years. Clean, sturdy, and light. (No, I don't have any shares in Parker).

I used to have basic Watermann pens when I was a kid. They were good as well. The metal barrel had a particular smell that stuck to your fingers. I still associate that smell to the act of writing. I remember them leaking quite a bit; my fingers were always blue. Some died a horrible death... but yeah, blame the kid, not the pen.

Jaymz Connelly
11-13-2017, 01:09 PM
I should not have looked at this thread. Seriously. It got me all nostalgic for a fountain pen. I haven't used a fountain pen since I was a teenager. Even if I only use it to write Christmas cards, I think it'll be nice to have a fountain pen again. I wound up ordering a Jinhao X450 with a medium nib... and a bottle of purple ink because... purple! (and the ink cost more than the pen did :ROFL:)

mccardey
11-13-2017, 01:27 PM
pencil

Sister Anne Mary told me in 1966 that my hands were the wrong shape for pens.

:cry:

Jaymz Connelly
11-13-2017, 01:48 PM
pencil

Sister Anne Mary told me in 1966 that my hands were the wrong shape for pens.

:cry:

And you believed her?

There's a pen for every hand. Sometimes you just have to look a bit further to find the right one.

DragonHeart
11-13-2017, 02:28 PM
So, I did go ahead and order the lefty pen sampler from Jetpens. I figure it's not that expensive, and anything I don't like/use I can bring to work, we always need pens.

But then while I was out doing some early Christmas shopping over the weekend I came across some pens, the type that were in the sampler, but colors not just plain black...so I bought a set. Papermate Inkjoy gel pens, 0.7mm tips. I've only ever used ballpoints for the aforementioned reasons, but then I tested these out. Guys, I think I might have a problem. I like them. I mean, the tips are a little large for someone who naturally writes small, but no smearing and I've been color coding everything for my own amusement. The 0.5mm tip would probably be perfect, but these are still imminently usable. For reference, my handwriting is naturally about half the height of standard ruled lines. I can force myself to use the whole line but it slows me down considerably.

CheG
11-14-2017, 08:22 AM
Pilot Precise V5 and V7. Plain old ball points. And for inking art my Pilot Pocket Brush Pen.

Fountain Pen
12-24-2017, 03:00 AM
I'm not a huge fan of ballpoint or rollerball, though I have many of each. The ink is water resistant, which is nice. They’re okay for signing the check at a restaurant. For any personal writings, I prefer fountain pens. Right now I’m keeping inked a Platinum Nice and my beater pen is a Lamy Vista. The Platinum is my favorite, but much pricier, so I leave that at home and port the Lamy with me.

Here are reviews & articles on each from fountain pen blogs I follow:

Platinum Nice Fountain Pen (https://www.bestfountainpen.com/platinum-nice-pur-3776/)

and Biz Fluent (https://bizfluent.com/about-6617261-fountain-vs--ball-point-pens.html) doing an article on fountain pens vs. roller balls.

And I remember reading this Wired article about splurging on fountain pens (https://www.wired.com/2014/09/fountain-pen-hi-low/) that talks about the Lamy Vista I use being on their list.

BenPanced
01-01-2018, 12:07 AM
Uniball Signo 207 medium point black. These are the best pens, I find, to use when I'm writing in my Moleskine notebooks; they're very smooth and glide nicely over the paper, and the ink dries almost spontaneously so smears are kept to a minimum.

And I highlighted "medium point black" because that's all I ever use in my writing. Aside from medium point red during the edits (and the sheets we fill out at The Day Job™), I almost never, ever, ever, never, never, never, ever, never, never, NEVER, EVER, NEVER use fine point or blue ink. Fine point blue is worst of all. I've tried before and I. Just. Can't. Even.

neandermagnon
01-01-2018, 12:31 AM
I like Bic pens. I like Bic crystal and Bic 4-colours. In fact I've got the whole range of Bic 4-colours because I love them so much. No other brand of biro comes close. They're all scratchy or the ink doesn't flow smoothly or they feel flimsy when you write with them or the leak. Or various combinations of all of those. The Bic 4-colours is slim enough that it doesn't feel bulky, unlike some other multi-coloured biros. And the ink colours are nice, both the original and the Bic 4-colour fun ink colours. And I like the pink, purple and light blue Bic crystal ones best. Plus a black one for things where I have to stick to sensible colours.

Maryn
01-01-2018, 03:12 AM
Well, shoot. I just now saw this thread and was reminded that I did not receive the fancy-pants pen I asked for. I guess Santa knows more than you all do, eh?

I gave both our daughter Pilot Metropolitan pens--purple ones, no less, since it's both of their favorite colors--and a blank journal that lies flat and which was recommended for fountain and dip pens. No word yet on whether they adore them or simply love them.

Hey, I have a little cash left and it is the last day of the month. We shall see, yes?

Ketzel
01-01-2018, 03:30 AM
I like plastic mechanical pencils because they don't need to be sharpened, they come bulky enough for my stiff fingers to grip and light enough for my stiff fingers to lift, they are cheap, and I can mess around with the way they feel on the page by buying the leads in different softnesses.(That's not a word, is it?) Current favorites: Papermate Clear Point 0.7mm. All time favorite: Sakura SumoGrip 0.9mm, because I love them for both writing and drawing.

Best pen for aforementioned stiff fingers, Pilot Dr. Grip. I like the gel version best, but I've used the ballpoint also.

Shadow_Ferret
01-05-2018, 04:50 AM
I have a pen rotation. Each day I take a different fountain pen to work and use that on my breaks for writing. I have a Rotring Skynn in blue, an Estabrook J (from the 1950s) that I replaced the bladder in, a Parker 45 Flighter (age unknown), and a Jinhao 950, which is this heavy white and blue ceramic. Really sharp, even if not the best writer.

At the moment, they all have the same ink in them, Parker Quink Blue Black, but soon I'll be getting a bottle of Diamine ink in Raw Sienna. I'll put that in my Estabrook J because it's a brown pen. I'm also waiting for several samples of different colors that I ordered from Goulet Pen Company -- Diamine Ox Blood, Pilot Iroshizuku Murasaki-shikibu (Japanese Beautyberry), and Diamine Sherwood Green.

I've also ordered a few more pens off of eBay, notably a Jinhao x750 and another Rotring Skynn in red (which will get the sample of Diamine Ox Blood).

I also have an old Waterman that took me a long time to figure out how to separate the section from the body. Unfortunately, I used a pliers and it left some small gouges in the section. The bladder is all dried up and when I have time, I'll order a new one and replace it.

Raindrop
01-05-2018, 02:13 PM
I have a pen rotation. Each day I take a different fountain pen to work and use that on my breaks for writing. I have a Rotring Skynn in blue, an Estabrook J (from the 1950s) that I replaced the bladder in, a Parker 45 Flighter (age unknown), and a Jinhao 950, which is this heavy white and blue ceramic. Really sharp, even if not the best writer.
*has pen envy*

What do you think of the Quink Black Blue ink? I have enough cartridges of washable blue to last me for a year (hey, there was a sale!), but I don't like how pale it is when it dries. Is the Black Blue more fade-resistant?

Shadow_Ferret
01-05-2018, 08:48 PM
To be honest, I've never paid much attention to that. I'm looking back on some writing from a few years ago and it seems as dark now as it did then. Yesterday I posted a link to a blog I just wrote that has a page of my writing from 2014. Except for the bad office lighting and my kess than stellar photographic skills, the ink doesn't seem to have faded.

From what I understand, the Parker Quink ink is a permanent ink.

Raindrop
01-05-2018, 09:22 PM
Yes, it seems a bit darker than the washable blue. I might switch to the same as yours, once I've gone through my stash (in a decade or so...). I prefer non-washable, anyway.

I may still have a few Waterman at my parents' place, from my school days. I'll see if I can dig them out next time I go there! :D

Shadow_Ferret
01-05-2018, 11:46 PM
You could always buy samples of different blues to see which one you prefer.

Raindrop
01-06-2018, 12:57 AM
You could always buy samples of different blues to see which one you prefer.
Next time I pop in to WHSmith, I might -- assuming they stock this colour. I'm not bothered enough yet to order it, or anything like that. You should see my stash of blue, seriously!

OTOH I'm really curious to see if my old Watermans work. I used to love them. I had one that lasted me for years, so much so that the metal barrel smelt of a mix of ink and sweat (I was holding the pen too tight, back then). I still remember that smell. I'm going to my parents in a couple of weeks, so hopefully, I'll find the pens and make them work... because although I have "reasonable" ink (blue), I definitely need some unreasonable one! Thinking red or green or... dunno... purple?

Shadow_Ferret
01-06-2018, 04:53 AM
Purple? Like this? https://www.gouletpens.com/pilot-iroshizuku-murasaki-shikibu-50ml-bottled-fountain-pen-ink/p/PN69221

I just ordered a sample. Haven't tried it yet.

AW Admin
01-06-2018, 05:07 AM
Purple? Like this? https://www.gouletpens.com/pilot-iroshizuku-murasaki-shikibu-50ml-bottled-fountain-pen-ink/p/PN69221

I just ordered a sample. Haven't tried it yet.

I love the Pilot Iroshizuku inks.

Another good purple is Monteverde Charoite (https://blog.gouletpens.com/2017/05/monteverde-charoite-ink-review).

Cath
01-06-2018, 06:11 AM
I'm also a huge fan of the Iroshizuku inks. I don't have a purple, but for green, I love the Bamboo (https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Iroshizuku-Chiku-rin-Ink-Bamboo-Forest-50-ml-Bottle/pd/8206). It's softer and a little more subtle than a typical green ink.

My absolute favorite, color-wise, is the peacock blue (https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Iroshizuku-Ku-jaku-Ink-Peacock-50-ml-Bottle/pd/3512) (the picture on this website doesn't quite do it justice).

AW Admin
01-06-2018, 06:51 AM
I'm also a huge fan of the Iroshizuku inks. I don't have a purple, but for green, I love the Bamboo (https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Iroshizuku-Chiku-rin-Ink-Bamboo-Forest-50-ml-Bottle/pd/8206). It's softer and a little more subtle than a typical green ink.

My absolute favorite, color-wise, is the peacock blue (https://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Iroshizuku-Ku-jaku-Ink-Peacock-50-ml-Bottle/pd/3512) (the picture on this website doesn't quite do it justice).

That's my next one to try.

Raindrop
01-06-2018, 12:47 PM
I like the looks of those inks, especially Bamboo and the Monteverde Charoite one! I'm sticking to cartridges for now, because I often write on the go and popping down a few cartridges in my bag is easier and safer than trying to refill a pen in the middle of nowhere... or even at home.

I draw in ink with a dip pen and nib, and that's where little things like lack of space in the bathroom and the kitchen really come to bite me. It's difficult, and could potentially get messy.

SlowRain
01-07-2018, 09:27 AM
I've only recently become interested in fountain pens.

Pilot Metropolitan, M
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Green

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQf7o-7U8AQc801.jpg

Platinum Preppy, F (0.3)
Noodler's Kiowa Pecan
(I decided to write something profound at the end.)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSgxsuCUIAARQeY.jpg

Gazing Far tm2, Bocote wood, black (gunmetal gray?) stainless steel cap
Schmidt iridium nib, F
Noodler's Heart of Darkness
(the paper here is Tomoe River 68gsm, cream)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS5vezyVMAAfsGl.jpg

I'm currently writing in an unlined Life (L!fe) Noble notebook with cream paper. For some reason, I don't like white paper that much, and I'm mainly using black & brown inks anyway. I'm seriously considering buying a notebook with Tomoe River A4 cream-colored paper next time, but that's NOT going to be cheap.

Isilya
03-16-2018, 05:04 AM
Just got myself a Pilot Metropolitan F and a bottle of Parker Quink Black Ink.
I didn't realize how much I missed using a fountain pen. :)

Julia Joy
03-20-2018, 07:10 AM
I'm obsessed with Pilot's FriXion erasable pens. They're pretty much all I use.

s_nov
03-20-2018, 07:54 AM
I'm using a Monteverde Monza with Monteverde California Teal. Goulet was running that buy one pen/get free ink deal for a couple of months last year and I got two Monzas and two inks. I wasn't expecting much but I LOVE them. I have two Jinhao 159's and a Noodler's Creaper that are not getting any use because I've only been using the Monzas.

California Teal is gorgeous. It's a little dark for a teal, but it has this unexpected reddish sheen that is so beautiful.

SlowRain
03-27-2018, 09:03 AM
Once I started with fountain pens, I realized how much I had hated writing with a pen just because I had to put so much pressure on ballpoint pens. A couple of times I've been without my fountain pen at work, and I dread when I have to write with ballpoints now.

I'm a fan of the Pilot Metropolitan (MR2) as well. I now have two. I replaced my Platinum Preppy with a TWSBI Diamond 580AL (silver) because I didn't like the scratchiness or the flow from the Preppy. The Preppy is an okay pen as a starter to see if you can handle the rigmarole of fountain pens, but I'd recommend the Metropolitan any day.

I really like that Monteverde California Teal. I've standardized around green for my all-purpose ink. I'll have to keep that one in mind when my 60+ml of Pelikan 4001 Brililant Green runs out.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXQScUnU8AEU5WL.jpg:medium

And here's the whole family. I haven't played around with paper too much yet, just Rhodia, Life (L!FE) Noble, and Tomoe River. My preference is Rhodia's 90g/m2 ivory paper (see the pic above and left below).

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DX_wWJTV4AE15m3.jpg:medium

Gibby
07-17-2018, 01:48 AM
I am swooning over the pens listed here. Sadly, I've been letting my own Wahl-Eversharps sit idle while I've been using my dip pens. Yup. I just rewrote my last draft in Beetlejuice ink by Fox & Quills with a couple of vintage Esterbrook mapping nibs. There's just something so satisfying about scratching out a word with a nib so sharp it can slice through the page.

For any dippers out there, I highly recommend the Beetlejuice, it's an iron gall that turns from a rich scarlet to a deep red black as it oxidizes. Has a magical quality watching the color change.

:)