Any Super Couponers Out There?

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
I've taken up "super couponing". I want to be able to stock-up on things my family uses regularly, but I haven't had a lot of cash on hand. The other day when I went shopping I spent $9.62 out of pocket; the original cost, however, had I not used coupons, would have been 122.40.

I only coupon for things that we will actually use or food that we'll actually eat. Most coupons I've noticed are for a lot of processed junk that we don't touch, but last week I did pretty good. I did get things we didn't really use on a regular basis, like cough drops, but I got them for free so, I thought what the heck. It's free and we'll at least have them when we need them now. This isn't a very good week for coupons at my local store, though. {I'm kind of relieved about that actually. Ha ha.}

So does anyone else coupon?

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
“super” coupon: I thought that wasn’t really possible anymore since they fixed the product codes and accounting, and now the registers are strict about making sure the coupon is for the correct item.

Silva

saucy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
That's some pretty good savings. I generally find that coupons are for stuff I don't want or need, or that they're only providing slight discounts on name brand stuff when I can get offbrand for cheaper, so I can't say I do much couponing unless it's a circular coupon that'll make my food cheaper (but even then, they're much less reliable than just shopping loss leaders).

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a "super" coupon person, but I do use them every time I go shopping - I save quite a bit of $$$$ at the grocery store; especially since they (Kroger) also send me lots of coupons in the mail for items I purchase on a regular basis.

I also join the "Loyalty Programs" at my favorite merchants and restaurants, and they send me freebies and coupons as well.

As Quentin mentioned, I only clip and use coupons for items I actually use - I know people who have stockpiles of things such as Rol-Aids and Polident just because they were on sale and they had coupons for them. :Shrug:

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
“super” coupon: I thought that wasn’t really possible anymore since they fixed the product codes and accounting, and now the registers are strict about making sure the coupon is for the correct item.

I noticed a lot of the 'super' couponers I follow on Facebook do use coupons that are for the wrong item and some of them will print off more than 1 coupon from their printer settings, thus committing coupon fraud. So a lot of times it's not legit, but one group is very particular about following the coupon rules. I don't know if the registers are strict because I goofed once and gave them a coupon than I didn't mean to hand over (you know, cause I'm a newbie and was unorganized) and they still accepted it, despite not having bought the product whatsoever. I felt a little guilty when I figured out what happened later when I got home.

I didn't realize it until I started following some of these coupon ladies that my local store will double coupons up to 99 cents, meaning if it's .75 cents off 1 product they'll double it to $1.50. So I've gotten some pretty good deals that way. My store will only double 4 identical coupons per transaction though, so if I want to get more of something I have to drag my sister along with me. Ha ha.

Silva, I've also found that shopping at Save-A-Lot, Aldi, or Big Lots can be better than coupons, particularly for food-related items, but I made some killer savings on Gain Detergent this week with coupons and a store promotion that offered $5 instant savings. 1, 40 oz Gain only cost me about $1.10 each. I could buy Xtra laundry detergent and probably get, 75 oz for $2.50, so pretty close price-wise, but I do like Gain a lot!

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
I'll admit, I'm a bit of a nerd and part of why I like doing the whole coupon thing now is because I can sit down and do math for a reason.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use coupons and have saved some good money. The best I ever did was after my sister and b-i-l has their daughter. I got diaper coupons from the company for $3 off and $2 coupons from the paper. In addition the store gave us a $5 off the entire order coupons and 5 triple coupons. The big diaper packages went on sale and we cleaned them out, add to that the new cashier who manually overrode the .99 maximum on the triple coupons and we got all the diapers for about $3 a pack.

My sister and b-i-l couldn't believe when our Aunt showed up with all those diapers about $200 worth and said we never should have spent all that money. She couldn't wait to tell them we paid about $20 for all of it, and niecey had about a 3-4 month supply of diapers.

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
My sister and b-i-l couldn't believe when our Aunt showed up with all those diapers about $200 worth and said we never should have spent all that money. She couldn't wait to tell them we paid about $20 for all of it, and niecey had about a 3-4 month supply of diapers.

NICE! There was a really good diaper sale recently. I don't have kids, but I saw mothers stocking up like crazy and they spent about $3 a pack as well. It's definitely the way to do it. If I ever have kids I'm going to have to coupon diapers because they are expensive. I don't know how some people can afford it.

My family and I have never subscribed to the Sunday paper. I thought about subscribing, but then when I looked at the cost I felt I couldn't justify the price for only a few select coupons I'd use each week. My mom has started getting them from her work. She works at an assisted living facility and the old people will give her the coupons. I got three sets this week and found that there are at least 4 things that are worth while getting. I typically double-check with the family if they think it's a good deal or worth stocking-up on because coupons can lead me into the trap of 'buy it, come on, it's a good deal. I know you don't need it, but buy it anyway'; and even if it's a good deal, if I'm spending 50 cents or a dollar on something that is just going to sit in the cupboard and expire before I can use it then it's really not a good deal and I just wasted 50 cents or a dollar.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent stock-up there, Quentin!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My family and I have never subscribed to the Sunday paper. I thought about subscribing, but then when I looked at the cost I felt I couldn't justify the price for only a few select coupons I'd use each week. My mom has started getting them from her work. She works at an assisted living facility and the old people will give her the coupons. I got three sets this week and found that there are at least 4 things that are worth while getting. I typically double-check with the family if they think it's a good deal or worth stocking-up on because coupons can lead me into the trap of 'buy it, come on, it's a good deal. I know you don't need it, but buy it anyway'; and even if it's a good deal, if I'm spending 50 cents or a dollar on something that is just going to sit in the cupboard and expire before I can use it then it's really not a good deal and I just wasted 50 cents or a dollar.

If you frequent a small market and know the people there or similar store, you can always ask them if you can have the coupons from the unsold Sunday papers.