Expensive Wines in 1884 London

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
The story is set in 1884? 1885? London.

A is someone who spends an enormous amount on wine every year. He gifts a few bottles of extremely good wine in gratitude to B. Since I know very little about wine, I didn't know if anyone had any ideas as to what would be impressive to those in such circles back in the time period, and what would be appropriate food to pair with it.

Reading up, I'm seeing that claret started getting mildewy in the late 1870's/early 1880's, but it had already become pretty Middle Class after the Single Bottle Act, and that the upper classes started drinking more champagne and hock (German/Rhine white wine?) even though claret had been their thing for centuries. But somehow, "hock" doesn't really sound impressive or expensive enough, and champagne is just sort of like the fancy wine you pick when you can't think of a fancy wine. :)

I'm finding that Prince Albert's favorite dessert wine was Imperial Tokay (is that the same thing as the modern Royal Tokaji?). Would it be eaten with something, or is it just sort of a syrup that you eat out of a spoon by itself?

Thank you for your help in fleshing out my dinner party. :)

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Victorians enjoyed sweet stuff, like port and sherry. Tokai is a type of sweet wine, Imperial Tokai came from the German royal cellars hence the name and Royal Tokai is a contemporary company.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I'm writing a short story about the Queen's Dolls' House which was created in the mid 1920s, and which included actual tiny bottles of wine in the cellars. In the inventory are included champagne--which, by the way, was drunk with pretty much everything (Veuve Clicquot 1906; Pommery & Greno 1915; Louis Roederer 1911; G.H. Mumm & Co. 1911); claret (Chateau Lafite, Grand Vin 1875; Chateau Haute-Brion 1888; Chateau Margaux 1899; and Chateau Le Prieure 1918); port (Cockburn Smiths & Co. 1878; Taylor Fladgate 1896; Warre 1900; Fonseca 1908; Dow 1912; Royal Tawny); sherry (Amoroso Pale Golden; Oloroso Puro 1872); madeira (Finest Bual 1820; Chablis-Moutonne 1904; white burgundy (Montrachet 1899; Graves-Superieur); sauternes (Chateau Yquem 1874); burgundy (Romanee 1904); and hock (Rudesheimer).

I expect you could use any one of those vineyards/producers to start your research and drill down to find extraordinary vintage years if you want to get into details.

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back then and still now the most expensive - 1811 Chateau d’Yquem - or any comet wine. the 1858 comet may have been too recent in 1884.
Other favorites: Chateau Lafitte and Veure Cliquot but they were not comet wines, they were just good.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I like the idea of comet wines, just from a literary expression standpoint. Wikipedia has a good article on them (gooogling "comet wine" gets you right there).

caw