Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
BUT HE'S REALLY THE VICTIM IN ALL THIS!

Srsly.

He didn't know malicious people were going to maliciously post malicious content online and maliciously sue his malicious ass if he maliciously used it without malicious permission. Malicious, malicious, malicious!

(Don't worry about posting comments on his YouTube videos. They're disabled. Because malicious.)

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
heh. I was about to comment in another thread that the lessons we learn and the knowledge we acquire through pain or discomfort often make the deepest impression and stay with us the longest. Now it's back to the drawing board to account for those like this guy who refuse to learn no matter how painful or costly the lesson.

If you don't see me for a few days, it'll be because mah brain just exploded.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I thought this story was going to link me to an article on The Onion.

I'm now somewhat demoralized that it wasn't. Probably there are a lot of people out there like this guy who think, "If I can take it, and nothing is actively stopping me from doing so, it's legal."

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I thought this story was going to link me to an article on The Onion.

I'm now somewhat demoralized that it wasn't. Probably there are a lot of people out there like this guy who think, "If I can take it, and nothing is actively stopping me from doing so, it's legal."

Oh, absolutely. I follow For Exposure on twitter, and frequently you see someone asking, politely, "Please link back to me if you're going to share my art" and the responses are... well, they make you wonder who exactly raised these people.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, absolutely. I follow For Exposure on twitter, and frequently you see someone asking, politely, "Please link back to me if you're going to share my art" and the responses are... well, they make you wonder who exactly raised these people.

What an infinitely depressing Twitter feed.

My wife is actually a reasonably successful illustrator. So yeah, I'm a bit biased this way, since I know how much effort she puts into her work, and I'm not sure how people get the idea that even though it would require years of practice and training for them to reproduce what she does, if they like it, they should just have it for free. Then again, I've heard people sometimes get angry at Rowan Atkinson for refusing to "be funny" on command.

stiiiiiv

Awww nuts!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I also enjoy creating visual art, but I don't post much of my material for public viewing on the internet for precisely the reason that there is so much abuse of copywrite on the internet. That guy in the video just comes across as lame in my books.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Lame" is a much more civilized word than I was thinking. Mine has a bunch more syllables, too.

Maryn, fancy vocabulary like a stevedore

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
This reminds me of threads and discussions I've participated in where piracy was defended on the grounds that :

• once it's made digital and on the Internet, there's no way to stop people using it in any way they want
  • people are used to getting free stuff, and if they can listen to music and watch TV shows for free, why shouldn't they have whatever you uploaded for free too?
  • people who take what they want for free will compensate you later (i.e. they like your work so much that it makes honest consumers of them and they end up paying for your future work rather than taking that for free too)
  • people who steal from you would never have paid you anyway
  • some people really can't afford it, but why does this mean they should be deprived?
  • stealing may be wrong, but this isn't stealing, it's sharing
  • isn't it better to be stolen from than ignored?

Serves the guy right.

Status
Not open for further replies.