Thousand Words a Day Club

Cindy Jacobs

Registered
Reaction score
I really love writing and I write every day, but it can sometimes be hard to stay motivated. I'm going to post my word count here each day that I write more than a thousand words and you are welcome to do the same. That way we can all stay inspired!

1800 words today.

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
I don’t know the exact number, but I happened to notice that my morning work added a thousand words.

Cindy Jacobs

Registered
Reaction score
Really difficult day today...only 1200 words and it doesn't look promising for the rest of the day's writing as we're getting dinner guests

JDlugosz

Registered
Reaction score
(most of) First draft of a short story: 5,584 words before I had to stop to eat and rest.

ktzeee

Registered
Reaction score
3,000 words today! Was really feeling it :)

Bickernicks

Registered
Reaction score
Website
adeadguy.com
Can I jump in here for a second...? Why is everyone so obsessed with word count? I realize it represents EFFORT, but...

If I were a painter and said, "I painted twenty feet of canvas today.."
If I were a musician and said, "I composed 90 minutes of music today..."
If I were a sculptor and said, "I sculpted 200 pounds of clay today..."

You would say? :tongue

Quentin Nokov

King of the Kitties
Registered
Reaction score
It's not really an obsession I would say, but more of a, "Hey, I'm closer to my goal" since each genre has a preferred length, whether it's 40,000 words or 125,000. So it's merely a, 'Woohoo, it's coming along!'--That's not to say the quality is fantastic, those things may be edited or deleted later, but we're working towards out goal. If a painter had 100 feet of canvas to paint then 20 feet is an accomplishment. I guess you could say the thread is more about inspiring others to get to work, stop being distracted, crank out that first draft and also a feel-good place for people to share what they accomplished in a day. I could be a housewife and say I deep-cleaned the entire downstairs and only had the upstairs left to go; that might be an accomplishment to me that I would like to share. Everyone's goals will be different; the thread isn't about competing word counts but to encourage, uplift and inspire. If you wrote, 5,000 words and are happy with it then that's awesome. If you only wrote 500 but feel like you did well then that's awesome, too.

I'm not writing today. Yesterday was a sluggish day. I only got 493 words down. I probably wrote more than that, but they ended up getting deleted. I'm content with where I left off, though.