• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Content site] Medium

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
On the face of it. it looks like an all-subject content site which is a pretty unprofitable model once Google categorizes you as such. Before joining I would want to know what kind of traffic and earnings people writing on my topics were getting. I have joined 5-6 such sites over the years and none of them worked out very well with the exception of the straight-forward content farm Hubpages which made it to the "just barely worth it" category. Based on online reports a "successful" story on medium might get a few thousand views and earn maybe $30, but their submission process is much more complicated than a normal content site. IMHO, too much trouble for that amount of payment.

Last edited:

Arjani

Registered
Reaction score
Content rights & responsibilities

You own the rights to the content you create and post on Medium.

By posting content to Medium, you give us a nonexclusive license to publish it on Medium Services, including anything reasonably related to publishing it (like storing, displaying, reformatting, and distributing it). In consideration for Medium granting you access to and use of the Services, you agree that Medium may enable advertising on the Services, including in connection with the display of your content or other information. We may also use your content to promote Medium, including its products and content. We will never sell your content to third parties without your explicit permission.

You’re responsible for the content you post. This means you assume all risks related to it, including someone else’s reliance on its accuracy, or claims relating to intellectual property or other legal rights.

You’re welcome to post content on Medium that you’ve published elsewhere, as long as you have the rights you need to do so. By posting content to Medium, you represent that doing so doesn’t conflict with any other agreement you’ve made.

By posting content you didn’t create to Medium, you are representing that you have the right to do so. For example, you are posting a work that’s in the public domain, used under license (including a free license, such as Creative Commons), or a fair use.

We can remove any content you post for any reason.

You can delete any of your posts, or your account, anytime. Processing the deletion may take a little time, but we’ll do it as quickly as possible. We may keep backup copies of your deleted post or account on our servers for up to 14 days after you delete it.

You own the copyright but if you turn out to be a plagiarist, promoting illegal activity, etc, then they can have your work removed. I consider it a better way because you're guaranteed to get paid and you can use it for practice pieces which is what I'm going to do.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Almost all content sites leave you with copyright, but after they use your digital publishing rights it is not always very significant to have it. The seem to allow non-exclusive content which is interesting.

There are a very long list of places where you could practice, so you might want to consider which is best. As for being paid, there are no guarantees. They pay may be so small you never make thew threshold to receive it.

Also look for what exactly is their revenue share and how is it calculated? Knowing this should be a deal breaker IMHO. It should be somewhere around 50% of receipts, or you have better options with equal or greater traffic. They imply the total fee paid is divided between writers (as I read it) but, dude, they are making a profit somewhere.

Also look for longevity, sites like this can fold and not formally revert your rights which is a PITA. IMHO a member-walled version of this content farm model doesn't seem like a winner to me. They have already moved from full paywall to metered... so maybe the model is not working like they hoped? How many members do they have?

Keeping mind that they are opening the doors to new writers with the same membership base, so at least in the short term pay rates will decrease.

Would you become a member? If you would... maybe its a good choice for you because you are in their demographic. It didn't tempt me much.

Last edited: