What do you read?

expatbrat

Look what we made:
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.expatbrat.com
I love books based on an extraordinary period of a person or companies’ life, rather than a memoir of everything from birth, death and marriage’s, and everything in between. Some favorites:

Losing my virginity
Into the void
Nuts
Lost in Transmission
Mr China
Phra Farang
Behind the arches
Damage Done
Forget you have a daughter

Never ever give up

And yes, I am writing my own, it’s called expat brat. Based in Papua New Guinea, China and Thailand, it’s my journey through obstacles and life lessons, the triumphs and tragedies in three completely different expatting environments. Written in a “chick beach flick” voice, it is my search for adventure, a meaning in life and the one.

I’m hoping for 2 million copies of expat brat sold by 2008, I’m aiming high, as per usual.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Reclaimed post

Hi Birol - I see that this is an ancient post of yours with no responses - so I'll take the bait.

When I was younger I read many stories about famous historical American personages and found them fascinating. I moved from them to ones about Cardinal Richelieu, St. Francis of Assisi, Lord Chesterfield, Pugachev, etc. and found them to be very interesting and enlightening. Later I read several of the memoirs/biographies of some of the Hollywood greats - absolutely loved David Niven's, was sickened by Errol Flynn's (how could Robin Hood be such a ***?)

These days I don't really read memoirs/life stories. I think part of my reluctance to read a lot of them are that 1) they are not necessarily about people I admire and 2) I get too much of a feel of money grubbing (especially ones about serial killers, etc.)

These days I'm not sure who I'd want to read about who's contemporary and well enough known to warrant a biography. But I'm open to suggestions. Puma

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I like autobiographies and memoirs from time to time--for instance, I recently read and enjoyed Christopher Lee's Lord of Misrule.

But no, I have no interest in telling my own story.

Godfather

back door man
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I love biographies and autobiographies.

I've recently read Kerouac's On The Road, The Pianist, Down the Highway, the life of Bob Dylan, and right now I'm reading Ramblin' Man, the life and times of Woody Guthrie.

In fact... I don't read novels so much as Life Stories...

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I, too, love autobiographies and biographies. I especially love reading about the lives of writers, but I could read about just anyone, famous or not. I have a fascination with the lives of others.