PDA

View Full Version : Mold or Mould?

oarsman
05-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Is there any difference between mold and mould (other than the extra "u")?

For example,

"plaster is poured in the clay mould" or "plaster is poured in the clay mold"

I've seen it both ways.

Duncan J Macdonald
05-12-2006, 09:34 PM
Is there any difference between mold and mould (other than the extra "u")?

For example,

"plaster is poured in the clay mould" or "plaster is poured in the clay mold"

I've seen it both ways.The 'u' appears to be right-pondian usage. My dictionary gives 'mould' as a chiefly British variant of 'mold'.

trumancoyote
05-12-2006, 11:00 PM
'Mold' looks better :)

veinglory
05-12-2006, 11:44 PM
As a Brit-influned Kiwi I would choose mould in this case and mold for what grows on rotten fruit--but I am aware that either is acceptable.

Sandi LeFaucheur
05-13-2006, 01:19 AM
The 'u' appears to be right-pondian usage. My dictionary gives 'mould' as a chiefly British variant of 'mold'.Funny, that! My dictionary says that "mold" is the US variant of "mould"! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
I wonder what it is that Americans have against the letter "U"?

By the way, I've searched and googled, and I can't find a definition for pondian. What does it mean? And is the opposite left-pondian or wrong-pondian?

JNLister
05-13-2006, 04:44 AM
The 'u' appears to be right-pondian usage. My dictionary gives 'mould' as a chiefly British variant of 'mold'.Funny, that! My dictionary says that "mold" is the US variant of "mould"! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif
I wonder what it is that Americans have against the letter "U"?

By the way, I've searched and googled, and I can't find a definition for pondian. What does it mean? And is the opposite left-pondian or wrong-pondian?

I assume it's a reference to Britain (as in British English writers) being on the right-hand side of the Atlantic on a standard map.

Jamesaritchie
05-13-2006, 05:11 AM
I assume it's a reference to Britain (as in British English writers) being on the right-hand side of the Atlantic on a standard map.

Yes, you got it. "Right pondsian" simply means someone who lives on teh right side of the big pond, as the Atlantic is often called.