Using recycled characters in a new series

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I currently have seven action adventure novels based on the protagonist and two other main characters are present in the series. These are all in self-published ebook and POD paperback format.

I have been advised that if I wish to go the route of traditional publishing, I should a) keep my author alias, and b) write something other than the continuation of the existing series. So, that's what I'm doing.

The new book (and potentially series) will be in much the same flavor as the current series, to the extent that I plan on using the same characters, in their same capacities, in supporting roles. Cameo shots basically. I have several reasons for wanting to do this. Would this be verboten from a publisher's standpoint?

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I can't give a "publisher's standpoint", but I see no problem with querying a standalone novel that cameos your older characters. The key thing is that it acts as a fresh jumping-in point for new readers, and it sounds like you've got that down.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
So long as the new books you're writing are standalones, and are not connected to your already-published books other than having these characters appear in them, you should be good.

If they're thinly-disguised continuations of the series, it won't work.

And it's trade publishing, not traditional.