PDA

View Full Version : October Challenge - Write Every Day! (NaNoWriMo prep)

Magnus
09-30-2017, 09:10 AM
Hello and welcome! This is a thread open for anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit.

I've started these threads for two months now, and I have found them useful, and I'm glad to see that they have also helped many others. We get a bit of accountability and we can support and cheer each other on!

So I'm keeping it up. The basis for the idea is that repeating something daily – even in small doses – means you build a habit that you'll find harder and harder to avoid (you can read more about that in this blog post (http://dosomethingwrite.com/do-something-write/) I wrote).

So introduce yourself, and if you want to, let us know what your goals are for October. I suggest trying to post every day, but it's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate.

Since NaNoWriMo (https://nanowrimo.org/) is around the corner, you can use this to prep for a writing marathon, if that's your thing.

A few tips and reminders:

Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. Habits build over time, so look at your current writing habit and set a goal to increase it a little bit, in word count, time, and/or frequency.

Write every day – even if it's just a few sentences. It reinforces the habit.

Mix it up – Try different types of goals, different times of the day, different tricks to reward or motivate yourself. A good habit is what works for you, not someone else. For example, some people find it works best with a set time. Others – like me – prefer a conditional habit (my current goal is to write a little bit after breakfast). And so on.

Be patient – It takes a long time to build a strong habit and you'll always be facing new challenges. So get used to constantly adapting and you'll be better prepared for jumping the next hurdle.

You can't fail – When you don't hit your goal, your job is figuring out why. When you do, you can find methods that help you do better the next day. If you share your speculations on why you missed your goal in this thread, others will be able to help out with tips and tricks!

Good luck, and see you on the 1st of October!

heykatydid
09-30-2017, 10:52 AM
Thanks for making the October thread, Magnus! I'll get my goals set in stone here, even though tomorrow on the 1st I'll be out all day hiking and likely won't be able to do day one. I have two goals for October, since the September thread was so incredibly helpful in keeping me accountable for actually doing what I said I would.

Goal #1: write 500 words a day. This worked out really well in September, and I accomplished a LOT with this goal. This should take me into the second goal-
Goal #2: finish my current WIP. I'm at the end, and there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and all I have to do is finish it so I can not look at it at all in November and come back in December with fresh eyes to do the first round of edits.

I suppose there is Goal #3: complete edits on my novella, but that's going to happen no matter what as my editor has us on a deadline, so it's sort of a given.

Hope to see everyone in October for some more excellent motivation and encouragement! :)

Layla Nahar
09-30-2017, 03:35 PM
Likewise, glad to see the October thread.

My goals: 1) Write something everyday. For me that means add to a WIP. I'm going to focus on 'writing something' and drop the word count. Might be just an estimate like 'half a page'. 2) Keep writing a job letter every day till I have a reasonable income, and 3) I'd like to add baby steps of one other life-improving project (to be determined)

Esmae Tyler
10-01-2017, 01:18 AM
Hi all! October really is the best month. Where I live it's basically the whole of autumn all condensed down, since September is usually still green and warm, but by the beginning of November the trees are all bare. I wish it lasted a bit longer relative to perceptions of other seasons, but... alas.

My goals for October:

1: Write every day
1b (as in baby step): write more than 2/3rds of the days of the month, because not writing definitely kills my momentum

2: Prioritize writing in the morning instead of at night. As nice as it is to have a small section of quiet time, I haven't really been able to devote that to writing as much as I had hoped. Starting in the morning at least gives me all day to try and scratch out some word count.

3: Speaking of word count... I again want to try and write 660 words per day.

4: Write 20,000 words for the month
4b: alternatively reach the middle of the draft. I know what the reveal there is, so if absolutely nothing else I can just skip ahead and write that scene after Thanksgiving and check this box off. Hah.

D.L. Shepherd
10-01-2017, 04:20 AM
Hey Magnus...thanks for starting up another thread for October!

heykatydid, Layla, and Esmae...glad to see you are all in for another round!

I'm keeping my goal simple...write at least 5 days a week and write more words than I did last month: 10,128.

Esmae Tyler
10-01-2017, 08:50 PM
Hello all! Good company here in October already. :)

Day 1 gives me 811 words, so I'm off to a decent start. Of course it is only the first day so I won't pretend that meets any of my monthly goals yet.

Magnus
10-02-2017, 01:50 AM
First off, hi and welcome heykaty, Layla, Esmae, and D.L., nice to see you all back here! :snoopy:

Second, after a lot of thinking, I've decided to go for a 300 words per day goal. Every day, all of October, with no other conditions. Just write, somehow. I'm going to be harder on myself to get those words down, even if I have to stay up all night and the result is terrible. It can't be that difficult. It isn't! So time for less whining and more doing!

Day 1
344 words on a flash fiction story for a challenge.

Layla Nahar
10-02-2017, 04:11 AM
Hi Katy, Esmae, DL, and Mangus! Good to see you all again!

Esmae - 811 words is a decent start for sure :)
Magnus, congrats on the 344 words & the flash :D

Day1: Less than a page in one hand-written WIP, 181 words in a computer WIP.

A lot of stuff to deal with today, so I'm glad I managed to write.

heykatydid
10-02-2017, 07:12 AM
Esmae, D.L., and Layla - good to see you again for the October edition!

Layla - that's not a bad start, and definitely better than nothing! Keep it up!
Magnus - Wow! Congrats on a wonderful beginning! 300 words is a great goal (doable).
Esmae - 800+ words is fantastic!
D.L. - an excellent goal, and hoping to beat yourself sets up great competition.

As expected, I didn't get anything written yesterday since I was out all day, but I did manage to finish up the second round of edits (95% done) with my novella so I can return that to my editor, and today I got 757 words written in the final fight scene. Progress!

edutton
10-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Thanks for starting this!

I'll be working through Janice Hardy's "NaNo Workshop (http://blog.janicehardy.com/2017/09/get-ready-for-nano-at-home-workshop.html)" blog series this month, ramping up to my first attempt at doing NaNoWriMo. I did some good brainstorming yesterday, made some connections in character arcs that I hadn't thought of. :)

D.L. Shepherd
10-02-2017, 10:15 PM
Layla, Magus, Esmae, and heykatydid...Wow...you're all off to a great start! Nice work all around!

edutton...welcome aboard!!

Day 1: Nothing

Day 2: Probably nothing. I *may* find time to squeak out a paragraph, but it doesn't look hopeful. However, tomorrow I have a big chunk of time free to work.

Magnus
10-03-2017, 01:06 AM
Day 2
855 words. Good stuff! Today was 'easy' though, as I was under pressure to submit to a weekly challenge and I had started yesterday. I had some ideas I really liked, so I didn't want them to go to waste! Still, considering I just wrote over a third of my total from last month in two days, I'd say I'm off to a good start!
Monthly total: 1199 words.

Welcome to the challenge edutton, I hope it helps you prep for NaNoWriMo! I haven't decided if I'm going for it this year. I don't think I'm ready to pressure myself quite that much, yet. But I haven't ruled it out.

D.L. - Wishing you lots of energy tomorrow!

Esmae Tyler
10-03-2017, 02:29 AM
Day 2 - Calling it at 281 words, written before noon. So two out of three of my daily goals met, anyway...

Magnus, that's an awesome round of words for the beginning of the month. You're definitely off to a good start. It's kind of amazing what having some kind of external deadline to meet will do, huh?

Layla, any day that you get any words out is a good one. Especially with other challenges to overcome. And writing longhand, even! That's actually a very useful technique. There's a lot of interesting research behind the idea that you use a different part of your brain when you write on paper than you use when you type.

Heykatydid, you're totally making progress. And ahead of your own deadlines, it sounds like.

Edutton, welcome! And preemptively welcome to NaNo! Writing 50,000 words in a single month is just short of insane, so any amount of planning you can do in advance is good. The WIP I'm IP on started life as a NaNo novel, but I didn't plan any of it before November. In fact I did NaNo that year because a friend of mine challenged me to, on October 28th. And the project I came up with over the two days I had to plan crashed and burned two days in, so I have about 2k words from that and 48 from the new thing. (Somewhat horrifyingly, my friend won that year too, though he waited until the last possible second and wrote something like 40k in two days....)

D.L., the month is young, and even a sentence counts! Hopefully tomorrow cuts you a break though.

Layla Nahar
10-03-2017, 07:09 AM
DL - hope you got some words in & just do what makes you happy
Magnus - whoa! 855 words that's great!
Thanks Esmae - & likewise - 281 words is still words!

Day 2: less that 1 page each in 2 hand-WIPS; sent one job letter. I'm kind of tired today, & I'll have a lot to do tomorrow. I'll be surprised if I'm able to get anything done…

But here's to more words for everyone!!

edutton
10-03-2017, 07:16 AM
DAY 2 - a little bit of a cheat, since the day's prompt was to write the story hook, which I already have... :) But I did do some additional brainstorming on the day 1 questions.

heykatydid
10-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Hello, everyone! It's day 3! I actually didn't get any words written today, but yesterday evening I got another 1080 into the WIP, so I figure maybe that can be "today's" word count since I'd already written some yesterday during the day (it counts, right?!). Today was one of my super busy days at work, and I just didn't have the time or opportunity to open up that document, and then I got home and had all my chores to do. But, I figure with almost 1800 words down already, I'm ahead. Looking to get some more in tomorrow and finish up this final confrontation scene. Good luck with words!

Magnus
10-03-2017, 10:47 PM
Day 3
436 words on some narrative lore, which is my fallback for days when I have less inspiration (or an external deadline, which does tend to make the words flow).
Monthly total: 1635. [edited, was wrong]

Layla - Hopefully you can get a little something done. Try to stay positive!
heykaty - Nice to see you, looks like you're off to a good start as well!

Keep writing everyone!

Esmae Tyler
10-03-2017, 11:13 PM
Day 3? 666 words. Nailed it. Kind of an accomplishment today only because the weather is finally turning the corner toward autumn (yay!) but woah do my allergies well up to clobber me in the head. That of course leads to the need to take allergy meds to combat them, which also clobber in the opposite direction.

Write hard all.

Layla Nahar
10-04-2017, 03:28 AM
Way to go, Katy, that's some nice words!
Magnus, nice work - that's a lot of words
666 words, Esmae - nice number ;)

Day 3: More productive than I expected. ~2.5 pages (handwritten) in 3 WIPs. Wrote and sent 1 job letter.

D.L. Shepherd
10-04-2017, 05:05 AM
Magnus...woo hoo! October is going to be your month!

heykatydid, Layla, Esmae...nice jobs all around. Great starts!

edutton...hope you got some work in today too.

Day 3: 1,171 words (yay!)

edutton
10-04-2017, 07:40 AM
Good job, y'all! I just squeaked in today's work under the wire (it's 23:40 here now). I spent most of the evening working on a sewing project I've already been paid for (so it's a priority!), but I did get the wording done. *whew*

This weekend I'm hoping to get a good start on this book's playlist as well as doing the writing, but we'll see how it goes...

heykatydid
10-04-2017, 09:36 AM
Well, I didn't hit today's goal (only 287 written) but it's better than zero, and I got my blurb + tagline sent back to my editor so that's something I'll consider "writing", haha.

Magnus - You're already making great strides towards beating your Sept. total! Congrats!
Esmae, D.L. and Layla - WOW!! You all really hit the manuscript hard, that's incredibly impressive!
edutton - I totally understand the priorities, but congrats on getting words in anyway! :)

Magnus
10-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Day 4
I think simplifying the goal has really helped, but it also helps to have a project that I feel enthused about but isn't majorly challenging. I do feel I can't keep leaning on it, but right now writing something is more important than what it is I write. 470 words today. 2105 monthly total.

Esmae- 'Write hard', I like it. Made me think of the Die Hard tagline. "Write hard. Live free." :D Well done on the devil's words.
Layla - Good work!
D.L. - Over 1k, nice!
edutton - If you did it, you did it!
heykaty - Also hitting your goal, well done!

Everyone is trucking on! Woo! :hooray:

Esmae Tyler
10-05-2017, 12:41 AM
Day 4 - Was sorely tempted to phone it in today and pretend that doing some work for my crit group was 'good enough.' Unfortunately helping their writing doesn't actually get me anything done on my writing. Fortunately for me I hit another spot where I got to recycle something from the zero draft and on the wings of that get 696 words to add to my total for the month.

Layla, 2.5 pages is great! ALL writing is good, even if it's only a few bits here and there. Seriously. If you'd written one page a day every day all year, you'd have 277 pages written. Being more productive than you'd originally planned (or thought you'd be) is just an extra bonus!

D.L., look at you making a whopping jumpstart on your word count. You only need like two days of that and you beat me!

Edutton, I've been toying with trying to put together a playlist. I might have to phone a friend to compile one for one of my characters, since my working knowledge of music outside a narrow window of time is, uh, pretty thin. Yay for making your deadlines though!

Heykatydid, more words than zero is a win. Full stop. Anyway, taglines are hard! Sometimes quality is way more demanding than sheer quantity.

Magnus, it really is all about getting in the habit of doing it every day. I think for most of us that is the biggest challenge here (like your so-perfectly chosen header indicates.) It's so easy to let everything eat into the time and energy you have to write with, and so hard to shove all of it to the side and put words on paper. 2105 words for the month is fantastic!

Keep it up, guys!

Dynastic
10-05-2017, 01:04 AM
Hit 10,003 words yesterday! Slow burn romance continues.

D.L. Shepherd
10-05-2017, 02:13 AM
edutton...glad you made your goal for today, and right under the wire too!

heykatydid...well you wrote about 30 more words than me. How exciting about the blurb and tagline!

Magnus...Glad to hear that simplifying things is helping you. You are certainly off to a nice start this month!

Esmae...Nice way to turn it around!

Dynastic: Not 10K in one day????? If so...holy crap...nice work!

DAY 4: Nowhere near as good as yesterday, (wasn't feeling it either), but I did force out just over 250 words.

LadyRedRover
10-05-2017, 04:50 AM
Hey everyone! I'm having a slow start to October, but I hope it's not too late to join!

My goals for October are:

1. Write for an hour every day

2. Finish the outline for my NaNoWriMo novel

I hit my goal today and wrote for an hour! Here's hoping that tomorrow's productive too. :) Good luck on your goals everyone!

Layla Nahar
10-05-2017, 06:04 AM
edutton - congrats on getting the writing *and* sewing done. It's so easy for one to eclipse the other
katy - it is better than 0
Magnus - I'm there - writing *something* is winning!
Nice work, Esmae (wait - wouldn't I have 356 pages…??)
Welcome Dynastic - congrats on getting your writing in yesterday
DL, congrats on getting those 250!
Welcome LadyRedRover! & congrats on that hour :)

Day 4: A little over 1 page each in my 3 pencil/paper WIPs. Wrote and sent 1 job letter, and edited a page on my website.

Disorderly Order
10-05-2017, 03:19 PM
Sorry for joining late.

My goal for October is to spend an hour every day preparing my novel for NaNoWrimo.

I spent four hours on character profiles so I'm caught up in the month so far

edutton
10-05-2017, 03:41 PM
Hey everyone! I'm having a slow start to October, but I hope it's not too late to join!

My goals for October are:

1. Write for an hour every day

2. Finish the outline for my NaNoWriMo novel

I hit my goal today and wrote for an hour! Here's hoping that tomorrow's productive too. :) Good luck on your goals everyone!

Sorry for joining late.

My goal for October is to spend an hour every day preparing my novel for NaNoWrimo.

I spent four hours on character profiles so I'm caught up in the month so far

Welcome to AW, y'all! Congrats on making your goals so far.

I technically made my goal last night, although I didn't accomplish as much as I would ideally have liked... but since I only had about 20 minutes to give to it, I'll count it. :tongue

Magnus
10-06-2017, 12:54 AM
Day 5
357 words, 2462 monthly total. Close call, today. I do need to be careful that I don't end up only writing late at night. I'm super tired now so heading to bed without further ado.

A quick welcome to LadyRedRover, and I hope everyone else is forging ahead!

Layla Nahar
10-06-2017, 04:15 AM
*Nice* work, Magnus!

Day 4: About 3 pages in 3 WIPs; went to JVS* with my friend - we have to go back a different day for an orientation, but we took the first step today…

*Jewish Vocational Services

LadyRedRover
10-06-2017, 04:48 AM
Day 5

Still running a bit behind, but I was able to get a little over an hour today :)
Current Total: 2.15/31 hrs
Prep Progress: I have my prep list, genre, and story logline all sorted out! Tomorrow, I'll be focusing on refining my idea and (hopefully) working on my main characters.

Thanks for the warm welcomes, everyone! ^-^ And hello to Disorderly Disorder! It's awesome to see another WriMo on the thread, particularly one with a similar goal :)

Esmae Tyler
10-06-2017, 06:09 AM
Day 5 - 20, count them twenty words. Today the page did not win. Barely.

Dynastic, welcome! Congrats on passing the 10k mark.

D.L., I feel you not feeling stuff. Your 250 on a bad day is way more than my 20.

LadyRedRover, welcome to you too. Congrats on writing for an hour! That's quality rear-in-chair time, right there.

Layla, that's only if you count the whole last year, not since January 1st. Either way, one page a day clearly adds up quick. One page in each of 3 WIPs adds up quicker, sort of.

Disorderly, welcome welcome. And more congratulations on the hour-a-day thing. That can be even more of a challenge than hitting a target word count.

Edutton, hurray for hitting goals. Even in 20 minutes. Again, see my twenty words? It counts!

Magnus, yeah, writing near the end of the day definitely drains whatever's left in the energy reserves.

We have a lot of WriMos here apparently! I am both looking forward to and dreading November. My current WIP started life as a winning NaNovel, so I'm busy trying to revise that. I don't want to abandon ship on it again next month, but I also don't know if I'm going to be able to churn out the necessary 50k for it. Though... that would definitely push me pretty darn close to The End, so I might have to ponder how to make this happen now that I have twice as many small children.

Anyway. Write hard, guys!

Disorderly Order
10-06-2017, 07:57 AM
LadyRedRover-Hello to you too! And congrats on the progress you've made so far. Good luck working on your main characters

Esmae Tyler-When I was in my writing slump I could only eek out fifty words a day. Words on the page add up to a whole lot more than no words on the page. I'm both excited for and dreading November too. I'm working off a novel I wrote four chapters for nearly eight years ago. After starting the scene list I realized I loved the characters but have absolutely no idea what happens. I'm not hopeful that I'll reach the 50K

DAY 5:
Another hour in I got the character profiles as done as I could get them for the time being. I wrote a one sentence summary (I'm loosely following the Snowflake Method) and started work on a scene list.

Timeforce
10-06-2017, 08:48 AM
This is great! I've been consistently writing at least one page a day so far this month. I was nearing the end of my first novel so it was exciting and so my output has been around 5 pages a day some days over 10. I just wrote The End today.

edutton
10-06-2017, 02:18 PM
I missed yesterday, but today I'll have at least two solid hours with nothing else to do BUT work on this.

SciSarahTops
10-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Hi, I think I might come late to the party. There's not a chance I'll do Nano, I can't write for 3 hours a day right now. I can barely write at all. I keep saving it all for the evening and then I'm shattered. The idea of small, daily goals is going to be the one to help me crack it. I don't want to swing between never writing and feverish writing anymore. The periods of not writing stretch for too long.

But I think for now what I want to tackle is plotting rather than word count. Instead of writing on the fly and then taking 8+ drafts to fix it I want to try and start from a solid bedrock. I've hated plotting generally so if anyone has some nice places to start that would be useful.

I also want to retroplot my current novel, balance out the scene and sequel, make sure it's not too dense.

So I guess my goals are to work on one plotting exercise per day, or part of one if it's a large task. Spending a minimum of 30 mins per day 6 days per week.

D.L. Shepherd
10-06-2017, 07:37 PM
Wow...lots of new additions today. Welcome all! Timeforce...a big congrats on getting to The End!

Magnus and Layla...yay...keep on going! You guys are doing great.

Day 5: A whole lot of nothing. (See, Esmae...in actuality your 20 words beat my big fat ZERO...LOL!)

However, I do plan to get some writing done later tonight. That's the hope, anyway.

Magnus
10-07-2017, 01:03 AM
Day 6
379 words, 2841 monthly total. Going strong, even managed to plan some writing before it was super late, though I didn't hit my goal until just now, which is a tad late.

Welcome, all new writers! Good to see it's catching on.

Hi, Disorderly Order, didn't see you yesterday. Welcome!
Welcome also, SciSarahTops. I think you're right in starting with small and often. I made the mistake of thinking I was doing well and upped my goals a bit too fast, and I got overwhelmed. Slow and steady is the way!

edutton
10-07-2017, 02:22 AM
Good job!

I've caught up yesterday and today's objectives. :)

Layla Nahar
10-07-2017, 02:35 AM
LadyRR, Disorderly - congrats on getting that time in
Esmae vs The Page & winning! Nice
Welcome Timeforce, SciSarah
DL- take a break - you're allowed to :)
edutton - congrats on catching up :)

I'm going to check in early today - I'm tired

Day 6: ~2 pages in 2 WIPs, one '1-click' job application

D.L. Shepherd
10-07-2017, 05:30 AM
Nice work Magnus, edutton, and Layla!

Day 6: Thanks guys (and gals)!! I didn't really want to write anything at all today, but I also didn't want to come back here to say that I wrote nothing...again. So I forced myself to sit in front of the computer and I managed to get out just over 300 words. Not bad, when I really didn't want to write any.

Disorderly Order
10-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Timeforce-Wow! Way to go getting to the end. That must feel amazing.
SciSarahTops-For many years I didn't even know what an outline was. I find now that if I sit down to write and don't know whats going to happen next I freeze up and can't write. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can about plotting too. I've been slowly going through the "Learning to Plot" thread under Basic Writing questions. I find youtube to be helpful as well
Magnus-Great job!
edutton-Congratulations on getting caught up.
Layla Nahar-Good Job
D.L. Shepherd-300 isn't bad at all! Congrats on getting words in. I know all too well how hard it is to write when just don't want to.

Day 6:
I got in one hour of working on my scene list going from six scenes to eighteen. Not too bad.

I think tomorrow I'm going to work on making a one paragraph summary (step two in the snowflake method. )

Magnus
10-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Day 7
I wrote 697 happy words today and didn't save it for the evening! In fact, I may even write more later today but I couldn't wait to report in!
Monthly total: 3538 words! I've smashed last month's total in a week. Taking a step back and lowering the goal helped a lot, but also changing it from a big, looming monthly goal to a manageable daily goal (that actually ends up about the same at the end of the month) made it a lot easier. Day by day, we build up the words!

D.L. - That's exactly what this thread is for. 300 > 0!

Layla Nahar
10-07-2017, 10:33 PM
Way to get back on the horse, DL ;)
& Magnus, I missed your day 6 post - so congrats on a great day 6 & 7
Disorderly - excellent - it's great to put in that time :)

I'm checking in early today, too.
Day 7: Just under 3 pages, across 3 WIPs.

Esmae Tyler
10-08-2017, 01:40 AM
Hi all!

Day 6 - The page finally won.
Day 7 - Picked myself back up and got 170 words worth of scribbling in, so a better showing than the last two days worth of effort. I think I need to wrap the scene I've been working on up though because what I want out of it is elusive and emotional and I need word count right now, not to sit there and argue with my inner editor about what the best way to wring some feels out of my Ideal Reader is. This brings my total for the month so far to 2644, which is about half as much as I should have by this point to hit my big monthly goal. Oops.

Disorderly, I'm really curious about the Snowflake method. I'm kind of tempted to give it a try since it seems to work going from scrap-of-idea to outline and I have a scrap of an idea for NaNo (dangerous though that path is.)

Timeforce, 5 to 10 pages a day? Wow! Congrats on getting to the end! How long do you plan to wait before jumping into revisions?

Edutton, seems we all pretty much miss a day here or there. Congrats on catching up!

SciSarahTops, welcome! Plotting is good. I'm pretty sure everybody uses a different method. There's a bunch of different ones collected at http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2011/09/14/25-ways-to-plot-plan-and-prep-your-story/ ... I kind of work on a basic arc structure/the tentpole method myself, but my outlines are pretty anemic compared to some of the glorious, sprawling roadmaps some people create. Plotting exercises sound like a fantastic way to figure out where to go with all of that though. Good luck.

D.L., 300 words when you don't feel like it are probably at least as good as 600 or 900 when you're really in the zone. Especially when the days when you (and by you I mean I, see above) really don't feel like it are common enough to be troublesome.

Magnus, look at you, racking up the wordcount. Changing up the goals can definitely help and it seems like it's working out for you. (So, too, did that mini deadline if I'm not mistaken...)

Layla, you're making awesome progress. I'm very curious, how different are your WIPs? Totally different genres, or things similar to one another?

Write hard, all! Week two is upon us!

heykatydid
10-08-2017, 05:39 AM
I've been awful with actually keeping this up the past few days - I think I've written about 363 words on Friday only, but it's Sunday now and I might open the WIP to get some more in, which may at least help to getting me back on track a little bit. Kudos to everyone who is putting those words down!! And welcome to all the new goal thread members! :)

NBgirl
10-08-2017, 06:36 AM
Hi all,

I am new at writing, about halfway through hopefully the first of many novels. Decided I wanted to try NaNoWriMo this year because I have been lacking in motivation lately. I took most of the summer off. I am trying to re-focus and my goal is 400 words per day for September.

LadyRedRover
10-08-2017, 06:50 AM
Wow! Everyone's making such great progress!

@Esmae Tyler, Congratulations on getting back on track today :) Emotional scenes are really hard to move on from, especially when they aren't coming out correctly! Hopefully the next scene will be a bit easier on you.
@Disorderly Disorder, Way to stay on track! I really like the paragraph summaries with the Snowflake method :)
@Timeforce, Congratulations on reaching The End! Finishing a story is the best!
@SciSarahTops, Welcome to the group! Small goals are ideal for building good writing habits and . As far as resources for plotting, I'm really fond of the articles over at Janice Hardy's blog. Chuck Wendig's blog is awesome too :) How are you wanting to practice?
@D.L. Shepherd, 300 words is a huge accomplishment when you're not feeling the whole writing thing. Give yourself a hearty pat on the back, you deserve it :D
@Magnus, That's awesome, man! Keep smashing those goals!

Days 6 and 7

Current Total: 4.5/31 hours
Prep ProgressLots of progress over the past two days, though most of it is just proverbial housekeeping before the real work begins. I decided on my theme and basic cast of characters. I also completed my paragraph summary (ala Snowflake Method), and am starting to develop my world.

Disorderly Order
10-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Magnus- I agree daily goals feel much more doable than one giant monthly goal
Esmae Tyler- I first used the snowflake method last NaNoWriMo and I have to say the summaries were invaluable. I'm not doing the steps in order. I'm going back and forth either working on characters or a scene list. I get stuck if I focus on one thing for too long.
LadyRedRover- Right back at ya! Good luck with world building

Day 7:
Paragraph summary is done and I added goals for all of my characters along with a few more scenes to the scene list.

My goal for Sunday is to either create a one page summary or work some more on the dreaded scene list.

D.L. Shepherd
10-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Wow...looks like everyone is making great progress!

Except me.

Day 7: Nothing. Will try to get some writing done later today.

ETA: Okay, I admit it! I was rushed and skimming earlier when I said, "Wow...looks like everyone is making great progress!"

Now that I had time to go back and re-read, I should have said, "Wow, looks like *most* of you are making great progress!"

esmae and heykatydid...sorry to read that you're struggling too. Hope you both had a better Sunday, or at least got a handful of words in!

NBgirl...welcome aboard!

To all of you that ARE plugging away...nice work...keep it up!!

Magnus
10-08-2017, 07:11 PM
Day 8
Feeling a bit less energetic today, but then again, I wrote 337 words and also edited two pieces of flash fiction, so I guess I'm doing okay! The monthly total is up to 3875.

Welcome, NBgirl to the challenge!
Esmae- I'm sure you'll find your energy again. It's probably a good idea to leave that sticky scene for a while and come back to it with fresh eyes, anyway!

Positive thoughts to everyone!

SciSarahTops
10-09-2017, 12:40 AM
My official Day 2. Day one was reading about writing/plotting exercises. Today I actually did one. It felt bloody great actually. I have tomorrow's exercise lined up.

You guys are doing well aren't you! Loving the momentum.... Thanks for the encouraging words
x

D.L. Shepherd
10-09-2017, 02:25 AM
Magnus...Wow, for not feeling energetic, you are blazing along. October is your month!!

SciSarahTops...Glad you got your writing exercise in for the day and have another lined up for tomorrow. Have fun with it!

Me...Day 8...nothing. Again. I did NOT meet my goals for the first week, but hopefully I'll pick up some momentum now that I'm entering week two.

Layla Nahar
10-09-2017, 03:32 AM
Esmae, congrats on the 170 : ) - They are all fantasy, one is fantasy that looks like a sci-fi; Those are the stories that I am currently adding words to. I have another fantasy novel that I'm in a problem solving phase for. (that makes 4 WIPs)

Katy, good to see you. Great words!
Welcome, NBgirl
LadyRed, Disorderly, congrats on getting that time in
DL - good to see at the check-in! :)
Magnus - that sounds like a great day.
Sci - congrats on doing those exercises,

Day 8: about 1 page across 3 WIPs - but - I did *something*, so I'm feeling good about that, because I'm still not out of the woods with my stressful situations. I did two easy (1-click) job applications.

Timeforce
10-09-2017, 08:39 AM
I have an accountability partner and use Winstreak to record my wins for the day which includes writing at least one page a day. I've been pretty consistent this month.

SciSarahTops- That's awesome! That has to be a wonderful feeling.
Magnus- Great job, keep it up.
Disorderly Order- That is important to lay a foundation and ask yourself questions like what are my characters goals.
D.L. Shepherd- Just don't be too hard on yourself. You will get there soon and before you know it you will have a rock solid habit.

Disorderly Order
10-09-2017, 09:42 AM
Timeforce- I find it's the most important because then the plot becomes clearer to me because it's the characters that move it forward.

Day 8:

Spent an hour working on a one page plot summary.

Since I have major plot problems to fix I'll be working on those tomorrow.

Keithy
10-09-2017, 04:37 PM
I've been in Spain for the last week relaxing on a sunbed, but now I'm back and getting back into writing/editing.

So... my target is getting the MS ready for a readthrough after adjusting storylines and characters.

Layla Nahar
10-09-2017, 09:36 PM
Timeforce, congrats on this months work
Disorderly, likewise, congrats on getting that time in :)
Kiethy!!! He's baaaaaak! Don't forget to put some lotion on that tan or it will fade away :D

Checking in early again today - (the new normal for me?)

Day 9: 3 pages across 3 WIPs. Made some changes to my resume and wrote and sent one job letter.

edutton
10-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Still chugging along, nothing too exciting to report... I did deliver the sewing project yesterday, so that's out of the way :)

Eilyfe
10-10-2017, 12:25 AM
The revision of the 3rd draft is about 50 % done. The characters feel more alive now. Once this draft is done I'll pretty it up a last time and then I'll send it out for some feedback.

Magnus
10-10-2017, 01:12 AM
Day 9
I eked out my words today, 312 of them, forced and of mediocre quality. But I hit my goal. Now I'm dead tired and heading to bed. Better planning required tomorrow! I got some positive feedback on some of my earlier work, so feel decent at the end of the day. Monthly total: 4187.

D.L. - Not hopefully, certainly! Set your mind to writing today, before you go to bed. Even write it down on a note to yourself that you read in the morning: "Today I'm going to write 300 words." Try to think of it right before you fall asleep. It's called priming, and it helps!
SciTops - You can never do enough writing exercises! I used to be of the crowd who think they are unnecessary, but I'm since humbled and I try to do them regularly as they always help me discover new ways to think about my writing.

Rock on, folks.

Keithy
10-10-2017, 02:22 AM
OK some work done on Chapter 7 today. ~100 new words and some others switched around. One character is made more sympathetic and another... well she is present, but I might remove her and have someone else mention where she is.

peartree
10-10-2017, 03:07 AM
I've done "daily goals" for months now. I write 100 words of "smut" (really, it's kind of a cheesy Christian romance with a kiss at the end to seal the deal) and 100 words of fiction every day. I also have more overarching goals - stuff like "edit this novel" and "flesh out x relationship in that novel" for each week or month.

Today I'm trying to work on a scene from the 3rd and last novel of my YA trilogy where the heroine is enduring a war while safely tucked away at a country hotel, but since she's noble no one will let her nurse or do anything useful and keep telling her to go back to her corner and embroider something and it's pissing her off. I'm pretty pissed off at the latest rejection of the first novel of the trilogy, so hopefully I can twist that into useful fuel.

heykatydid
10-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Okay, thread, I'm back! After falling off the wagon over the weekend, I'm hoping to get back on track this week. I wrote 484 words today (juuuust shy of 500, but I'll take it) and finished up a chapter.

LadyRedRover - I use the Snowflake Method, too! I hadn't before this recent duology but it really helped. Good luck with continuing!
NBGirl - welcome! And good luck with getting ready for NaNo! I am doing the same.

Disorderly Order
10-10-2017, 08:33 AM
Layla Nahar- I think it's awesome you're working across multiple WIP's
peartree- It's great to see another person doing small daily goals. I started off doing 50words a day and hope to get it up to 100 or more.
heykatydid- Way to go!

Day 9:

oh boy this was a hard day. I spent the hour trying to fix the plot problems so I can make a one page plot summary. Not enough stuff happens its barely a novella at this point. I still have work to do probably for the next week.

LadyRedRover
10-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Hey all! Haven't gotten a lot done the last two days. Day 8 was spent lost in research and Day 9 was spent going over and fixing things based off of the research. I now know my main characters motivation and character arc, but that's about it.

Hope I'll have something more to report later on today :)

edutton
10-10-2017, 04:31 PM
I now know my main characters motivation and character arc, but that's about it.
Those are kind of important :D, so it's hardly a loss!

SciSarahTops
10-10-2017, 04:53 PM
Love this thread. I've had to revise my remit for daily goals! If I work on the story at all it counts. Yesterday (day 3) I failed to do any editing, writing or writing exercises but I DID have a little epiphany about the plot and how to make a weak bit stronger. So I wrote notes on that and to be honest it felt like something worthwhile.

So I think as long as I spend some time each evening on something writing related I'll be happy. With a goal to being in that creative, productive mindframe. Moving the goalposts but something is better than nothing.

D.L. Shepherd
10-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Layla: Nice work! Good luck with the new version of your resume.

Timeforce and edutton: Sounds like you are both plugging along. Keep at it.

Eilyfe: Must be so exciting to be halfway through your third revision!

Magnus: I so understand those forced days, but so glad you went ahead and reached your goal anyway!

Keithy: Plus or minus 100 words and some editing is a good day, especially after just getting back from a trip. Hope you had an awesome time!

peartree: Welcome. Sure sounds like you have a lot of projects to work on...love the idea of using that rejection as fuel!

heykatydid: Nice come back at almost 500 words!

Disorderly: Sorry you had a bad writing day. Hope today will be a better one for you.

LadyRedRover and SciSarahTops: Glad you got both got some ideas as to where you're going next with your current projects. I sure consider that as working towards your goals!!

Day 9 for me: Nothing. I have a lot going on this week so I'm not going to be too hard on myself, although I do plan to at least open my file later and stare at it for a bit.

peartree
10-10-2017, 07:41 PM
Disorderly Order - It's weird how some days 100 days is sooo easy and some days it's like hiking Everest. But I find it's a good number for me. I think my average per day is about 300 words, but I've had a couple really amazing days in the last few weeks. I even wrote 6000 words Sunday before last. I couldn't believe it!

D.L. Shepherd - I have quite literally two dozen novels "on the go". I'll usually focus on one or two over a couple months, and switch between them as I do or don't feel inspired about them. It works well for me. I have two "good" novels, one shitty one I'm trying to rewrite, and one terrible one I wrote when I was 13 (that I don't show anyone) completely written. Then I have a dozen that are between 10-40,000 words, and probably a dozen more under 10,000 words. Maybe that would be too much for some people, but I just can't concentrate on the same thing all the time.

SciSarahTops
10-10-2017, 10:36 PM
Day 9 for me: Nothing. I have a lot going on this week so I'm not going to be too hard on myself, although I do plan to at least open my file later and stare at it for a bit.

Hehehe, let's see if you can resist tinkering or adding to it.

Magnus
10-10-2017, 11:51 PM
Day 10
Got another 345 words that felt of fairly low quality, but I also did some editing and didn't save it for late evening, so I call it a win. Monthly total: 4532 words.

heykaty - Welcome back! You're doing the right thing, picking it back up! We all fall off from time to time, and the ability to forgive ourselves and get back to it is very important!
D.L. - Kind of the same as above. I spent most of the last month not quite getting there, and it feels shitty. I just had to put it behind me and look ahead!
SciSarah - You're doing it right. The goals being something you hit more often than not is the most important. Failing too often is demoralising, so aim for what you're confident that you can hit at least 80% of the time. I'm doing so much better now that I relaxed my goal a little! Sure, I wish I was even more productive but that will come, in time.

SciSarahTops
10-11-2017, 01:50 AM
Day 10
Failing too often is demoralising, so aim for what you're confident that you can hit at least 80% of the time. I'm doing so much better now that I relaxed my goal a little! Sure, I wish I was even more productive but that will come, in time.

Magnus that aseems like a brilliant total. I'm feeling ashamed, I started off well and then swerved to watch the Great British Bake off despite being fairly in the zone (I know! FFS) tomorrow I am on a course in the evening but I hope to get some done in the day. Feel icky and lazy.

Keithy
10-11-2017, 01:50 AM
Layla Nahar - My tan is mild, but the wife managed to get her legs sunburned, so I've been playing nurse for the last three days.

SciSarahTops - That's my approach - a bit every day. One day it'll be done.

As for my progress today, it was a little bit of tinkering in Chapter 14 that I'm now tempted to change back. Aside from that, today's problem is that I have two characters doing identical jobs (Guard captain) with oddly similar story arcs. How that slipped is beyond me. I have a couple of ideas to resolve the problem, but one of them involves a character of diminished stature - I don't know if I can pull that off.

Esmae Tyler
10-11-2017, 04:10 AM
Hey all. I'm so glad to see you guys are making progress. Me.... ehhhh, not so much. I haven't written anything at all over the last few days. The great sucking void of inertia is winning at the moment, keeping the page completely blank. I'm also struggling with the temptation to abandon ship on the WIP and sail on a different project. My revolving file of WIPs looks a bit like the Bermuda Triangle...

Hopefully I will kick this soon and get back on the wagon.

Better luck to you all! Write hard!

Layla Nahar
10-11-2017, 05:03 AM
dutton, LadyRed, keep at it!
Eilyfe, peartree, welcome!
Katy - welcome back :) & congrats on the 484
Disorderly - it's the only way I can get any significant amount of work done. On a good day I can *maybe* get a page out of one WIP
SciSarah - I like to think of it as 'carving out time' in your routine - even if we start off tiny, if we make a place in our routine, we make a place for it to grow IME
DL - I think 'not being hard on myself' is a good practice, a good skill to aquire
Nice work, Magnus!
Way to go Keithy!
Ah - Esmae - see my above note to DL ;) & hope you got your pen ready for when it kicks in!

Day 10: ~ 2 pages in 2 WIPs - I started the day with the expectation that I would spend this last sunny warm day in the country, and nicely wrote my 2 pages - then realized I had to *work* - I made it in time, but it took my whole day… (10-7 bleh). *maybe* I'll write tonight? (but it's 9:00 already...)

edutton
10-11-2017, 06:47 AM
dutton, LadyRed, keep at it!
I kind of got a day off, because today's prompt was for work I've already done :)
I spent that time pondering backstory for the "shadowy figure" instead...

edutton
10-11-2017, 07:42 AM
Hey all. I'm so glad to see you guys are making progress. Me.... ehhhh, not so much. I haven't written anything at all over the last few days. The great sucking void of inertia is winning at the moment, keeping the page completely blank. I'm also struggling with the temptation to abandon ship on the WIP and sail on a different project. My revolving file of WIPs looks a bit like the Bermuda Triangle...

Hopefully I will kick this soon and get back on the wagon.Hang in there!

peartree
10-11-2017, 07:56 AM
727 words on Book 3 today. Feeling pretty good about that.

Disorderly Order
10-11-2017, 09:22 AM
LadyRedRover- I would definitely count that as a good day's work
SciSarahTops- That was my goal before prepping for nano. I used to write every single day but I realized thinking about my characters and plot are important too and helps me write more!

Day 10:

Today went a little easier. I came up with more conflict and stuff the plot desperately needed. That what's nice about doing all these summaries you can catch this stuff before you're slogged down in the writing.

peartree
10-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Just wrote 1600 words since my last post. I have a feeling some of it might need to be culled upon sober reflection, but it's easier to cut down than bulk up...at least with writing.

LadyRedRover
10-11-2017, 06:30 PM
Day 10, I was able to get my full hour in but not much over that. I was able to get a lot of world-building done and I'm hoping that Day 11 will be productive considering that I'm going to have the house to myself for a bit :)

D.L. Shepherd
10-11-2017, 06:56 PM
peartree: That's pretty awesome. It sounds like no matter what, you always have something to work on and to keep you writing. And, judging by your updates, you are getting a lot of writing in. Nice!

Magnus: Yeah, I remember that you weren't feeling it last month. October sure seems to be your month though...nice work!

Keithy: Good catch on the guards. Hey, even in real life, having a similar background often leads people to having the same types of jobs.

Esmae: Sorry you're having a hard month too. Hope you get back on track soon!

Layla: Don't you just hate it when that work thing interferes with what would otherwise be an awesome writing day? Glad you still got two pages in!

edutton: Nice that you were ahead on your story prompt and got to spend some time thinking about one of your characters.

Disorderly: Glad you had an easier day! It will be great to have all those summaries to keep you going when you are slogged down and writing.

LadyRedRover: An hour of work is a nice chunk of work. Good luck today, hope having that extra time for yourself helps.

Day 10: I managed a little over 550 words (finally). Very forced still, but I crossed 25k in my WIP, so that made me happy.

peartree
10-11-2017, 08:39 PM
DL Sheperd - that's why I do it! Keeps my brain happier than if I tried to force a story that wasn't quite ready yet.

danib225
10-11-2017, 10:57 PM
Thanks Magnus for the tips. I'm going to commit to this October challenge. I'm hoping it will help me out of this mental block I'm having.

-Dani B

Magnus
10-11-2017, 11:33 PM
Day 11
448 words, though still not of the most inspired kind. I'll endeavour to get back to some more inspired material tomorrow. Monthly total: 4980.

DL - Nice one, welcome back! Forced words are better than no words. You can't edit an empty page! Mine have been less than inspired the last few days, but it's still better to write.
peartree - Nice, seems you're on fire. Doesn't matter that some - or a lot - might go in a revision. If you write 1000 words and keep 100, it's still worth it, in my opinion.
danib - Welcome to the challenge, I hope it helps you write!

Layla Nahar
10-12-2017, 04:17 AM
peartree - wow, way to go!
Disorderly, Lady R, congrats on the time with your projects
DL - congrats for getting back in the saddle & getting in 550 words! - yeah, I really notice the difference between how much I can accomplish when I'm relaxed, rather than so stressed.
danib255 - welcome!
Magnus, congrats on the 488 words!

Day 11: about 2.5 pages in 3 WIPs; I responded to an email from a headhunter (I suspect it won't go far because I'm underqualified, but - I'm interested, so I'll give it a shot) wrote and sent a job letter, and found an listing for a job I'd like to apply to; did some writing for my own marketing material (included in my report for Day 11)

peartree
10-12-2017, 06:17 AM
270 words today on the book I'll call "summer read". Stress is getting to me, I"m struggling a bit.

heykatydid
10-12-2017, 08:24 AM
Disorderly Order - good luck with the expansion! That can be tricky.
LadyRedRover - best of luck to you as well, and your research at least sounds to be going well.
SciSarahTops - epiphanies are good, too, even if no word count was done that day.
peartree - That's a crazy amount of WIPS! I'd never be able to keep them straight, but it sounds like it works well for you.
Magnus - way to hit that monthly total hard and fast! Keep it up!

As for me, nothing yesterday but I did get 692 words written today, so progress is definitely being made even if it's at a snail's pace. I went back to check on some old chapters to make sure my details are correct (for less editing issues later), and found a gem of a line that I really like: "Tatsu worried that his ribs were no longer strong enough to keep his heart encaged." That's motivating! Seems strange, but finding wording of my own that I really love helps me to move forward more because I'm happy with what I'm producing, haha. Good luck to everyone today!

Disorderly Order
10-12-2017, 10:16 AM
peartree- WOW! that's an incredible word count
LadyRedRover- An hour is all I can ever get in. Congrats on the world building.
DL Shepherd- Congratulations on the word count and passing 25K!
heykatydid- I feel the same way! If I find some old writing of mine that I really like it makes me think I'm not so bad at this after all and it makes me want to write.

Day 11:

Another hour of plotting done. I have to keep reminding myself that I will be grateful I did all this work come November!

Keithy
10-12-2017, 03:51 PM
OK I was too busy to do any practical work yesterday, but I did decide to change the job of one of the Guard Captains to something else, so I searched for suitable jobs that would entail the same kind of royal intimacy and trust, and came up with "Groom of the Stool", which translates as the Imperial butt-wiper. Now this is going to be fun!

Today I've been going through the Imperial plot area in more detail, looking at the plot threads. It needs quite a rejig and two more chapters added, and I almost certainly need to add a third to illustrate a sort of friendship-cum-romance between the above character above and someone else. It's a lot of work, but I'm making progress and getting on with it.

And now I'm off to lunch :-)

Special mention for Peartree - wow!
Ditto for LadyRedRover - I'd love to have the house to myself.

Keep on swimming!

Magnus
10-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Day 12
332 words. Twelve days straight of hitting my goal, so far! It seems a perfect goal, at the moment. Not so big that I can't sit down and force it out late in the evening, but big enough that it can get the creativity rolling and have me go way past the mark on a good day. Monthly total: 5312 words.

peartree - Hang in there! If you're getting stressed out, try to lower the bar a bit. You can always raise it again later when you're feeling more confident.
heykaty - Snail's pace will also get you there in the end, and the habit you're building will only grow stronger!
Keithy - Groom of the Stool! :ROFL:

peartree
10-13-2017, 12:58 AM
Day 12
332 words. Twelve days straight of hitting my goal, so far! It seems a perfect goal, at the moment. Not so big that I can't sit down and force it out late in the evening, but big enough that it can get the creativity rolling and have me go way past the mark on a good day. Monthly total: 5312 words.

peartree - Hang in there! If you're getting stressed out, try to lower the bar a bit. You can always raise it again later when you're feeling more confident.
heykaty - Snail's pace will also get you there in the end, and the habit you're building will only grow stronger!
Keithy - Groom of the Stool! :ROFL:

Oh my stress isn't about writing novels...it's my personal life, which I don't want to cross over to my writing "persona". No one needs to worry about me - I'm living with family and I'm paying down my debts and there's no illness or violence in my life - but I have stuff going on that's really shitty, and it's definitely affecting my writing.

I haven't even been trying to write a lot in the past few weeks, just to keep up with my daily 100/100 goals. I've had a couple of amazing days, and plenty of ordinary ones and a few bad ones, but writing is really making me happy. I just want the stress to sod off so I can enjoy my writing and do even more.

Keithy
10-13-2017, 02:18 AM
I've been busy drawing up a plot chart, showing the chapters and what plot thread gets advanced, and also who is present in that chapter.

Also working on character motivations, wants, needs and making decisions about conflicts.

Peartree - sending a special hug for you. :Hug2:

D.L. Shepherd
10-13-2017, 03:50 AM
Hope everyone is doing well with your goals!!

For me, I got a bit of bad news both yesterday and even worse news today about one of my cats who's been sick, (liver cancer), so I'm feeling bummed, and I'm going to take a couple days to clear my head.

Layla Nahar
10-13-2017, 05:49 AM
Katy - 692 words sounds great!
Disorderly, Keithy, congrats on getting that time in
Magnus, congrats on getting those words down :)
peartree, I hear you about the stress. I have a lot of it and previously I had either been able to handle the stressful things OR do my writing. It's why I report what I've done for my job hunt along with my writing - my challenge is to do both every day
Oh DL, I'm so sorry to hear this. (((hugs))) for you and for your cat friend.

Day 12: about 1.5 pages in two WIPs; The big happiness here was that I wrote a bit in the morning, on the porch (my favorite) - then I was able to pick up & continue in the evening (when it's dark) & in my room (not the comfy chair)
109 words in a non-fiction WIP (marketing material for my job hunt)

Went to JVS (& helped my friend write his resume) Did one online app, rsvp-ed a headhunter but the job was gone by the time I reached him…

peartree
10-13-2017, 07:55 AM
Keithy - thank you!
DL Sheperd - I am so sorry. I lost my beloved kitty of 15 years two summers ago, and her brother (equally beloved) last autumn, and although most of the pain has gone I still miss them dreadfully. I send snuggles and headskritches to your sweet kitty!
Layla - I'm balancing a job hunt with being a substitute teacher to earn enough to pay down my debts. It's a good gig, but I'm very stressed about other things and I need breaks from being around people so it's a challenge for me too!

I've spent all day dealing with a personal demon, so no wordcount yet. Let's see if I can do my 100/100 before I conk out.

heykatydid
10-13-2017, 08:40 AM
Magnus - congrats! Keep on going! You're on track for an incredible month.
Layla - your writing habits sound wonderful and relaxing! I'm jealous, haha.
DL - I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved pet. Sending my best thoughts!
Peartree - I completely understand having shitty problems, and I hope you can work through them to get some good words down. Either way, sending hugs.
Keithy - Keep it up! You make really good progress through things, I like to see the updates.

Today, I realized that since my coworker gifted me a new phone (to use until we leave Japan next year), I can finally get apps from the app store again (my old iPhone 4 wouldn't update to iOS 8 and thusly I could no longer download anything). This means I was finally able to get Google Docs on my phone, and that now I can write during my train commute! At least when I'm able to sit, as it takes two hands. But this is a game-changer for both now and next month's NaNoWriMo. Partly thanks to this, and partly thanks to it being a low-class day for me, I got 1,513 words written today! I'm feeling very accomplished, things are finally moving along in the story and I feel like I'm back on more stable ground.

peartree
10-13-2017, 09:05 AM
Magnus - congrats! Keep on going! You're on track for an incredible month.
Layla - your writing habits sound wonderful and relaxing! I'm jealous, haha.
DL - I'm so sorry to hear about your beloved pet. Sending my best thoughts!
Peartree - I completely understand having shitty problems, and I hope you can work through them to get some good words down. Either way, sending hugs.
Keithy - Keep it up! You make really good progress through things, I like to see the updates.

Today, I realized that since my coworker gifted me a new phone (to use until we leave Japan next year), I can finally get apps from the app store again (my old iPhone 4 wouldn't update to iOS 8 and thusly I could no longer download anything). This means I was finally able to get Google Docs on my phone, and that now I can write during my train commute! At least when I'm able to sit, as it takes two hands. But this is a game-changer for both now and next month's NaNoWriMo. Partly thanks to this, and partly thanks to it being a low-class day for me, I got 1,513 words written today! I'm feeling very accomplished, things are finally moving along in the story and I feel like I'm back on more stable ground.

That's awesome about the writing! Is your username a reference to the What Katy Did books?

Disorderly Order
10-13-2017, 10:16 AM
Day 12

I really had to push today. I did not want to do any work. A hint for those that are really tired try standing up at your keyboard. That's what got me through the hour.
I did one character synopsis (Step five of the Snowflake Method). I'm switching from that and a one page summary.

heykatydid
10-13-2017, 12:23 PM
That's awesome about the writing! Is your username a reference to the What Katy Did books?

Is it not! Is it an unintentional reference that I don't know about? It's actually just using my name, as my name is Katy, and a play on the insect Katydid.

SciSarahTops
10-13-2017, 12:43 PM

Is it not! Is it an unintentional reference that I don't know about? It's actually just using my name, as my name is Katy, and a play on the insect Katydid.

Awesome, I had wondered at both myself!

I used to love the "what Katy Did" books.

Peartree and Layla: your progress is inspirational
Disorderly that is awesome advice.
Keithy, 'Groom of the Stool' is GOLD. And I had read first as 'stool' somewhere to sit while you poo' and now I just caught on the 'stool' is poo itself.

D.L Shepherd I am very sorry to hear about your cat.

I made a nice slot of time for writing yesterday. I'm trying to work through the exercises in 'Fire in Fiction' by Donald Maas, the nice thing is that a few of the things he stresses I feel are in the manuscript already, but it really helps to distill those important elements out when they might otherwise get lost a bit in the wash.
The problem is these exercises end up with me most mostly editing and 'fact checking' my own work (it's a time travel story I have to sometimes check it all measures up.)
I also keep finding filtering instances in there.

In general I'm doing far far less that I want to but I have Boy2's birthday party tomorrow to get into order, I'm facepainting at 2 school discos tonight for Boy1, had meetings and meeting preps galore and life is seeming really full. I'm passing out at 10:00pm.. Hakuna Matata

edutton
10-13-2017, 02:46 PM
Hope everyone is doing well with your goals!!

For me, I got a bit of bad news both yesterday and even worse news today about one of my cats who's been sick, (liver cancer), so I'm feeling bummed, and I'm going to take a couple days to clear my head.

I'm so sorry...

Magnus
10-13-2017, 06:30 PM
Day 13
Drive-by check-in here as I'm heading out and will be back late. I planned ahead and smashed out a 518-word first draft of admittedly shonky quality, but the fact that I did it is way more important, and I feel great about that! :snoopy: Monthly total: 5850.

D.L. - I'm so sorry about your cat.

peartree
10-13-2017, 11:56 PM
heykatydid - the Katy books were some of my favorites as a kid, and even now I go "hide" in them mentally when life gets too tough. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Katy_Did I think they're on Project Gutenberg too. My favorite is the one where Katy goes to Europe, and my second favorite is the last one "In The High Valley".

SciSarahTops - I'm so glad someone else knows those books!

I'm home from being a sub in a learning disabled 2nd grad classroom. Good God, those kids were noisy. I had to use my "sea captain in a storm" voice more than once and we definitely disturbed another class or two. Oh well, I did what I could.

SciSarahTops
10-14-2017, 12:41 AM
heykatydid - the Katy books were some of my favorites as a kid, and even now I go "hide" in them mentally when life gets too tough. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Katy_Did I think they're on Project Gutenberg too. My favorite is the one where Katy goes to Europe, and my second favorite is the last one "In The High Valley".

SciSarahTops - I'm so glad someone else knows those books!

I barely remember anything about the books, I did once make a drink from water, vinegar and sugar because Katy had it at a picnic. It wasn't that tasty! Although I liked the books I always found the title really ominous, and still do!

peartree
10-14-2017, 01:07 AM
I barely remember anything about the books, I did once make a drink from water, vinegar and sugar because Katy had it at a picnic. It wasn't that tasty! Although I liked the books I always found the title really ominous, and still do!

That was in the first one, "What Katy Did". Then there's "What Katy Did At School" where she and Clover go off to a fine young ladies' boarding school, then "What Katy Did Next" when she goes off to Europe on a Grand Tour, then "Clover" which starts with Katy's wedding and then Clover and Phil go to Colorado for his health, and then "In the High Valley" where more of the family is settled in Colorado and the rest come to visit.

Sigh...I want to read them again now! I need a time-turner or something.

Layla Nahar
10-14-2017, 04:08 AM
Day 13: less than a page in 1 WIP. But I wrote. I wrote.

Keep on keeping on y'all!

Keithy
10-14-2017, 04:16 AM
Achieved very little today apart from deciding a character is going to be angry and bitter instead of a bit naive.

That and organizing the outline for a new chapter.

My challenge for the weekend is find 5 minutes spare in which to do more. It's not looking good.

Disorderly Order
10-14-2017, 09:03 AM
Day 13

I got my hour in doing plot summaries and came up with another plot line I might explore

Layla Nahar
10-14-2017, 09:59 PM
Disorderly - congrats on getting that time in!
Kiethy - keep swimming! ;)

Day 14: about 2 pages in 3 WIPs; some drafting of a job letter, and some drafting of my marketing piece.

This is hard yall, lets keep at it :p

SciSarahTops
10-15-2017, 12:13 AM
Peartree, I only knew about the first and ""What Katy Did Next". I had no idea it went into her adult life!

Disorderly is that plot summaries plural? How many do you have/want to write? Is this outside of your snowflake method exercises?

OMG guys I'm actually writing! Only fleshing out stuff and plugging little holes but it feels great. I'm drinking gin too so I hope it's not all balderdash but still. Happy writing!

Magnus
10-15-2017, 01:21 AM
Day 14
I had a tough time getting words today and was about to yield at 135, but right at the end of the day, I decided I wasn't going to fail after nearly two weeks of hitting those 300 words. So I found something to write and punched out words. Again, many won't be used, but just getting into the habit to keep trying is worth so much. I got 461 in the end, for a monthly total of 6311 words.

Anyway, I wish everyone plenty of good words! Time to take the dog out in the pouring rain then fall asleep with my face buried in my Kindle.

Keithy
10-15-2017, 03:40 AM
Managed a total of 135 words from two stints. I will say no more.

peartree
10-15-2017, 06:23 AM
Peartree, I only knew about the first and ""What Katy Did Next". I had no idea it went into her adult life!

Disorderly is that plot summaries plural? How many do you have/want to write? Is this outside of your snowflake method exercises?

OMG guys I'm actually writing! Only fleshing out stuff and plugging little holes but it feels great. I'm drinking gin too so I hope it's not all balderdash but still. Happy writing!

You should totally read the rest! I *think* they're on Proejct Gutenberg (I have them on my kindle anyway), and I just adore them!

Disorderly Order
10-15-2017, 11:40 AM
SciSarahTops- I have a one page plot summary which is step 4 of the Snowflake Method. And I have character synopses which is the plot from each character's POV step 5 of the Snowflake Method. I have six more of those to write. I go back and forth between step 4 and step 5.

Day 14

Finished one more character synopsis. Tomorrow I'll probably work on the one page summary and see if the new plotline I came up with works.

heykatydid
10-15-2017, 03:32 PM
SciSarahTops and peartree - I have never even heard of these books, haha. I'll have to look them up now!
Disorderly Order - nice work! Good luck with the plotline!
Magnus - stellar word count so far this month! Don't disappear completely into your Kindle. :)
Keithy - best of luck for tomorrow, a new day!
Layla - it is hard, isn't it? But let's all do our best! Good job on your progress, job things included!

I felt absolutely awful today - I think I'm coming down with something, but unsure what. As a result, I did next to nothing today and none of the things I was supposed to do. Except I did pull my laptop into the bed with me and managed another 568 words in the scene I was working on, which is at least more than my daily goal total. I'm hoping to get some more words this coming week in the extra downtime I'll have. Halfway over with October!

Magnus
10-15-2017, 10:51 PM
Day 15
332 words struggled out on a short story. I know I'm repeating myself, but I'm just glad I sat down and forced it. I feel it's important not to drop the ball now that I'm doing well. Monthly total: 6643.

Layla Nahar
10-16-2017, 02:05 AM
SciSarah - congrats on the writing, that's really great :)
Kiethy, 135! way to go!
Nice work, Disorderly :)
Katy - sorry to hear you feel bad -- 'cept for those 568 words!! ;)
Magnus, congrats on that second push for day 14, and for keeping at it on day 15

Day 15: Over 3 pages in 3 WIPs, and did a 1-click job app

We're on week 3 now -- keep on keeping on!

heykatydid
10-16-2017, 04:17 AM
It's only 9:15 AM here, but I wrote using my phone during my train commute and came into work early just so I'd have some writing time before classes started, so I finished 1,315 words today! This is great because I think I'm changing my entire NaNo project and the rest of my time today is going to be spent reworking an old WIP into a coherent sort of plot.

Disorderly Order
10-16-2017, 11:36 AM
Day 15:

Had a great day! I wrote in my new plotline into my one page plot summary and it worked. I finally have a beginning middle and end!

For tomorrow I'm going to use this momentum and work on my scene list

D.L. Shepherd
10-16-2017, 02:25 PM
Hey Everybody...thanks for the well wishes for my cat, Cinder. I'm feeling a bit better today. I've been coming to terms with his diagnosis and have a plan in place with my vet to try and keep him comfortable until the time comes when the big decision needs to be made. It's one of the curses that comes with choosing to share your life with these four-legged critters, and it's unavoidable. But it sure doesn't get easier from pet to pet!

Anyway, I hope that everyone is making good progress with their goals. I plan to get back on track later today, even if I only add a paragraph.

Esmae Tyler
10-16-2017, 04:30 PM
Day 14 - 356
Day 15 - 177
Perhaps I will just pretend that the whole of last week didn't happen. I barely remember any of it so it doesn't count, right? (I threw a birthday/Halloween party for my almost-4 year old on Saturday. Planned for the 10 kids that live in the neighborhood, ended up with something closer to 14? showing up. We played a game of Trick-or-Treat, in which I filled a bunch of paper cups with various things and then covered them all with orange tissue paper. They took turns pushing through the paper to grab whatever was inside the cup and the sheer revulsion and recoil when they encountered the tricks was SO WORTH IT. Zombie boogers, monster snot, witches' tongues, a scorpion - cold oatmeal, lime jello, long slices of banana and plastic, naturally - and some candy, of course.)

Hopefully I can get back on the writing train now and not blow all my goals completely.

D.L., I'm really sorry to hear about your kitty. Taking care of them at the end is the hardest thing in the world.

To the rest of you, I'm so glad to see so much progress being made! Keep hammering away at those word walls.

Keithy
10-16-2017, 05:20 PM
Managed about 20 words yesterday.

:-(

Layla Nahar
10-16-2017, 11:39 PM
Disorderly, that's awesome!
DL, give Cinder a kiss from me, & I hope you got to your paragraph, & if it's a skip day, that's ok too
Nice work Esmae
Kiethy
Managed about 20 words yesterday.
:-(
:-)

fixed it for ya ;-)

I'm checking in early for today. Had a lot to do. Day 16: ~1/2 page in 1 WIP. But feeling good that I got to it.

Magnus
10-17-2017, 12:16 AM
Day 16
Another rough day, probably the roughest yet. I did nothing of value and had pretty much accepted that this would be my first fail on the challenge. But the habit is getting strong; after two weeks it just felt wrong not to write something. So I did. Again, not the most inspired material, but it certainly brightened an otherwise shitty day. 308 words for a 6951 monthly total. It's still more than I wrote on some good days last month. It's working. Now I just have to remember not to relax, as that is what tends to happen. It does get easier to stick with the habit, but it's a mistake to think it's completely automatic.

Sending positive energy to everyone! Keep at it, and you will see the change.

D.L. Shepherd
10-17-2017, 12:45 AM
Disorderly...great work! Have fun working on the scene list tomorrow.

Esmae...wow...sounds like you threw them a really fun party! Hope you get back on track this week too.

Keithy...that's 20 more words than you had the day before!

Layla...glad you got another 1/2 page in before calling it quits. (Oh, and Cinder says thanks for the extra kisses!)

Magnus...so happy that building the writing habit has been working so well for you. Really nice total for the month, so every bit is helping.

Me...surprisingly, I managed just over 600 words today. I wasn't feeling it *at all* when I sat in front of the screen, but I finally found my groove. Plus I left off at a place where I know in which direction things are heading for my next session.

peartree
10-17-2017, 01:38 AM
Didn't get much done this weekend, but I did get inspired and "found" the "bit" that I'd been missing about my heroine in a fantasy novel I'm writing. I think I wrote maybe 100 words all weekend? It was a rough weekend. I only just got home from work, think I might pass out before doing any writing.

edutton
10-17-2017, 03:21 AM
After several extremely mentally tiring days (I think I'm going to have to go on a news diet until December if I have a hope of getting this challenge done), I managed to catch back up to where I need to be to stay on track. *whew*

Esmae Tyler
10-17-2017, 04:29 AM
Day 16 - Another 216 words. Not awesome but at least I seem to be back on the train. Maybe I can lure the writing fairy in again.

Keithy, 20 words is 20 more than the page winning!

Layla, half a page is still awesome. Slow and steady. How many pages do you have piled up now?

Magnus, you're absolutely right (write?) It's so easy to relax and think you've got the habit down, and the next thing you know you're like me and missed a whole week in a row... but good on you for keeping to it every day!

D.L., 600 words! That's fantastic. A big chip out of whatever total you might need for your draft. Even better for your own personal cliffhanger; it really is easier to pick back up again if you know where you're headed rather than having to fumble around looking for a new place to start again.

Peartree, sometimes it's the inspiration that counts. That missing bit that sets things in the right direction can be more important than a lot of words on any given day, and 100 words is still 100 more than you had yesterday.

Edutton, congratulations on catching up! That can be a monumental task if you get tooooo too far behind. (Like me. Trying not to think about it. Oops.)

Cheers all!

Keithy
10-17-2017, 04:40 AM
At last I have finished the first scene (hunting) of chapter 7. It's very lumpy though.

I had to go to a funeral today, and because of Tropical Storm Ophelia the burial was postponed till tomorrow.

heykatydid
10-17-2017, 07:43 AM
Hi wonderful thread-

Keithy - I'm sorry for your loss re: funeral, but I am happy that you finished that scene in chapter 7!
Esmae - even a small amount of words is still an amount of words greater than zero! Kudos!
Edutton - congrats on catching up! That's no small task when you factor in outside forces that derail you.
Peartree - sometimes you just need some rest time, and at least you got some planning done with your heroine!
D.L. - congrats! 600 words, particularly when you aren't feeling it, is great!

I had a very slow day with only 284 words today, but have done a lot of planning on my NaNo project. In addition to pitching it to my editor, who gave the thumbs up, I've done the five-sentence paragraph summary and two character profiles (all from the snowflake method, which others in this thread have also used) and that's all in the past two days, so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

Disorderly Order
10-17-2017, 09:07 AM
Day 16:

I worked on my scene list and am proud to say I have four times as many scenes as I started with. I still need to add more to the second and third act though.

Magnus
10-18-2017, 12:08 AM
Day 17
After a few rough days, I feel better again. I sat down and first drafted some extensive revisions to a flash fiction piece I did that I wasn't happy with, then wrote some stuff on another project a while later. Didn't have to force a thing, either, so that's the payoff for sticking with it. 1042 words today. Wow. So that's a 7993 word total for the month, so far. Pretty sweet!

D.L. - Great! When you get into the habit of forcing it a bit, it will unlock the flow of words more and more often, I find.
peartree - Keep at it and don't get dishearted if you had a few slow days!
edutton - Yeah, I've massively reduced my media intake. I know it's bad out there, but at the same time, I try to remember that media gives a skewed image of the world. How often do they report that things are going fine? Who would watch that? So yeah, take a step back from that stuff. Do what you can to affect positive change locally, but don't feel like it's your job to worry about the whole world.
Esmae - Staying on the train is the most important part!
heykaty - At least planning keeps your mind on the writing!

Esmae Tyler
10-18-2017, 02:13 AM
Day 17 - 58 words. Seems like a tiny drop in a huge bucket. I have a vague idea for how to add something to the scene to play up an element that so far has been slow to manifest, but today is one of those day where everything but the bloody kitchen sink threw itself at me while I was trying to write. I actually cannot decide what is worse: having time and quiet space to write in and having no words come out, or having the words that want to creep out onto the page but not actually being able to get there to record them. Arg.

peartree
10-18-2017, 03:53 AM
Esmae Tyler - I'm really pleased with this bit of inspiration, because it also makes a reasonably inclusive book even more inclusive, and as this one is basically high fantasy, I want to make it as accessible as possible to lots of people because I've been told so often that those worlds are lacking in people who aren't white/cisgendered/tall/thin/beautiful.

heykatydid - I'm pretty exhausted from real life, so yeah, the downtime was good from that respect too!

Magnus - it's more that I'm stressed from my real life and it's affecting my writing, but I have a bit of time to myself tomorrow and I'm hoping I get to dedicate a nice chunk to fiction.

Keithy
10-18-2017, 04:42 AM
Sorry - nothing today. Too busy.

Layla Nahar
10-18-2017, 04:52 AM
DL, that's some great words!
peartree - Congrats on getting words this weekend, and some insight :)
nice work, edutton
Ah, Keithy, hope things are ok
nice work katy, on the words and the planning,
& congrats on the scene list, Disorderly
way to blow it out of the water, Magnus!
Esmae - honestly, the 58 word days, they feel like the worst, but I believe they are the best because we *could* have given in…

Day 17: about 2 pages in 2 WIPs; responded to a recruiter, edited my resume and worked on my 'story' and my 'what can I do for (your company) the moment I walk in the door' pitch. Also drank lots of tea and ate lots of cold-eze because I'm getting sick. :-(

heykatydid
10-18-2017, 05:45 AM
Layla - congrats on 2 pages!
Keithy - tomorrow is a new day, don't despair!
peartree - I'm glad the downtime was good for you :)
Esmae - but 58 words every day will eventually make for a full bucket!
Magnus - wow! Congrats on your great progress!!

I wrote 624 words on my commute today, and I know where the story is going from here, which gets me over one of the last hurdles. Probably two chapters left and the epilogue - the end is in sight!

edutton
10-18-2017, 07:24 AM
Keithy, hang in there!
Good job to all those making progress. :)

The themes and underlying motivations are really starting to come together now... the background is less fuzzy than before, even if the players aren't all in sharp relief yet.

peartree
10-18-2017, 08:50 AM
767 words today. I do like pretty numbers. Funny, how it's easier to write the painful parts when you're unhappy yourself. (Not that I should be unhappy - I worked my butt off today AND accomplished everything I'd set out for myself on my to-do list!! Stupid depression clouding everything.)

Disorderly Order
10-18-2017, 10:17 AM
Esmae Tyler- Having lived through both situations I would say not having the words is the worse. I hope you get the chance to put them to paper!
Heykatydid- congratulations on the word count!
peartree- that's a nice wordcount

Day 16:

Took a break from the scene list and did another character synopsis. Slowly getting there.

D.L. Shepherd
10-18-2017, 05:36 PM
peartree...Glad you are picking up the pace again, but sorry to hear you've been down. Hang in there.

edutton...Nice that you were able to catch back up. I always seem to feel perpetually behind.

Esmae...We wrote almost the same amount yesterday. Hopefully today will be better for both of us.

Keithy...Sorry for your loss, as well as the storm being so severe as to postpone putting your loved one to rest.

heykatydid...Nice that your editor likes the idea for NaNoWriMo. I bet having that pre-approval will help make the words flow all the more when you start your challenge.

Disorderly...Seems like you are plugging along. Keep it up!

Magnus...Woo Hoo! Glad you are feeling better and getting so much done!

Layla...Nice work with the 2 pages. I do hope you find a new job soon, so at least you'll have that off your plate, but at least you've been making good use of your time off.

Me...I managed a measly 60 words yesterday. Was a busy day, but I could have done better. Hoping today I will.

Magnus
10-19-2017, 12:36 AM
Day 18
Yesterday felt like I was doing better and had dodged the depressive bullet, but today I felt lower again. I still managed to eke out 313 words, but I properly had to force it today. Now I'm going to try to relax and aim for a better tomorrow. The monthly total is 8306 words. I'm doing well. I just have to keep reminding myself of that.

Fight on, everyone.

Keithy
10-19-2017, 02:17 AM
OK at last I've finished sorting out chapter 7 - it took almost a week. So onto chapter 14, wherein a bank demands its money back from the empire (in this story there's an empire, but it's crumbling and bankrupt) Upon reading this chapter I note that I need some more conflict and intrigue, so it's time for some thinking. With a bit of luck I can add that with one or two short conversations.

D.L. - thanks - it was part of the nightmare.

With a bit of luck I will be ready for NaNoWriMo, aiming to write at least one new chapter during that period. In theory I can write a first draft of an individual chapter in 2-3 days, but I'll believe that when I see it.

Keep on trucking/swimming/writing/editing...

Layla Nahar
10-19-2017, 03:43 AM
Nice work, Katy, peartree, Disorderly, Magnus
Keithy, edutton, keep at it!
DL - congrats on getting those words down :)

Day 18: About 3 pages in 2 WIPs;
edited my resume, applied for 1 job - updated my LinkedIn (long overdue)
Also assembled & sorted material for a small freelance job
made flyers for a service I want to make money doing
did 30 mins of training for a product demonstration temp gig coming up

heykatydid
10-19-2017, 04:15 AM
Good job, everyone! Looks like there was a lot of hard-earned success yesterday/today across the board. I got 831 words written between my commute and my pre-work time at my desk, so I'm feeling good. Fight on!

Davy The First
10-19-2017, 04:18 AM
1200 today. This two weeks have been good. A desert before that!

D.L. Shepherd
10-19-2017, 04:59 AM
Magnus...even with your forced days, your monthly total keeps on climbing. 8K+ is fantastic!

Keithy...I bet you can get a couple of new chapters in next month. Believe it, and you'll see it.

Layla and heykatydid...nice work all around! Keep it up.

Davy The First...glad you found your way out of the desert and onto this thread. Welcome aboard.

Me...I had a good day, which made up for my crappy day yesterday. Added 1,100 words and crossed 27.5K in my WIP. Still got a ways to go if I plan to finish this draft by the end of the year, but I'm getting closer.

peartree
10-19-2017, 07:22 AM
518 words on the romance novel. I'm pretty worried about the story, but once I get enough posts I'll start asking for feedback on it the appropriate forum. I just always disliked the traditional romance novel where the heroine didn't have much in her head besides boys, so although I have this heroine thinking about boys all the time, it's interspersed with other things - her dreams for the future, the dreams she's had to abandon, her relationship with her best friend. Hopefully it'll flow well once I finish it.

Esmae Tyler
10-19-2017, 05:11 PM
Day 18 - 321 words. For yesterday. Getting warmer, though I'm nowhere close to where I wanted to be this late in the month. 26,500 words isn't quite 1/3rd of the count that I need, but getting warmer on that too I suppose. Next month IS NaNo though....

Keithy, look at you bouncing around your chapters and filling in the conflict. You must be getting close-ish to being done with this part, yes?

Layla, being sick is awful, awful. Especially when it's the kind that turns your brains into batting. Good luck with the job stuff! And congrats on getting pages every day in spite of everything.

Edutton, that's the best part about a draft. Gotta get stuff out there and nail it down where you can see it so you can figure out what you have to work with. Almost everything can be fixed later!

Peartree, depression sucks. I'm sorry. Awesome word count though! Seems like you have a good handle on how to deal with your romance story. I don't see any reason at all why you can't have healthy, heavy un-romantical plot to go along with the boys bit.

Disorderly, I'm really curious now about this snowflake method thingy. I've gotten to the point in my own WIP where I'm ready to shove it in a drawer and start something new and shiny and the snowflake outline seems like it might be a fun way to..... arg no must continue

D.L., 60 words and then 1100! Nice! You're officially ahead of me now, and I'm wondering if we need a little more friendly competition to try and be done by December 31st.

Magnus, keep it up! You've managed to write something every day this month, right? That's fantastic, even with days where the total words are few in number.

Heykatydid, 831 words! Nice! You've definitely got a knack for taking advantage of time-related opportunities to write.

Davy the First, welcome! 1200 words, too. A good end to the desert, certainly.

Write hard, all!

Magnus
10-19-2017, 09:48 PM
Day 19
Apologies for another hit-and-run report. I smashed out a 674 first draft on a writing challenge, which is great, but the rest of my day was a shambles and I'm scrambling to keep my shit together. Monthly total: 8980 words.

Keithy
10-20-2017, 05:30 AM
Esmae - The plot thread I'm currently working on is going well, although I have another separate subplot to look at after this one.

Soo... what have I done today? I've dealt with chapter 14 (which is a chapter I particularly like), adding a bit of intrigue as a seed for what comes next.

I am currently working on chapter 20, which consists of two scenes in which the chapter-leading character is asking two different people questions. I've switched the two "interviews" around and will make what is now the first have a different perspective. After that is one of my new chapters: I already have some ideas for its content, so writing it will be easier.

Keeeep typing!

D.L. Shepherd
10-20-2017, 05:42 AM
peartree...I don't read much romance to compare to, but to me an interesting character would have lots of thoughts on their mind, and not all on one topic. That's a great idea to get some feedback from people who read in your genre.

Esmae...Sure seems like we've been pretty much neck and neck. Rather than competing, how about we cheer each other on and make sure we both reach our end of the year goal?

Magnus...Nice work getting all of that written, especially when you are having a shitty type of day. Hope tomorrow is less hectic for you.

Keithy...Sounds like you're being productive and moving along nicely with your edits.

Me...I managed another 500 words just now, and I'm calling it quits for the evening.

Hope everyone else who hasn't checked in yet are still busy writing.

peartree
10-20-2017, 06:13 AM
Esmae Tyler - thanks! I'm hoping my character is likeable, because she's tall, blonde, thin and a failed actress, but she's definitely a good friend and I'm hoping that sort of backstory (sidestory?) will make the romantic plots more believable and real. Also 26,500 words in a month...wowza!! Good job!

Magnus - I came home from work and crashed. Cost me two hours and I'm praying I get to sleep tonight...isn't real life annoying for getting in the way of our writing?

Keithy - how do you deal with the give-and-take in chapters like that? I have a hard time making it not look/read like a transcript of an informal interview...something I need to work on.

D.L. Shepherd - I don't read much romance either (I did buy a bunch of cheap paperbacks as research though), and started attempting it because my mom found Samhein press (so sad they're giving up) and suggested I try romance since it's "recession proof" and would be a good step into the industry. So in a lot of ways I'm on the outside looking in, and I'll DEFINITELY need the help of the good people on this site!! And I agree. I very much want my character to be interesting and likeable (for this story anyway), and I think just being boy-crazy isn't enough to get a reader to turn pages.

heykatydid
10-20-2017, 06:47 AM
peartree - good luck with your romance venture! I'm not a romance reader, either, so the times I've written it, I've turned it into a fantasy romance so I could add in an external plot and world-building and the like. I hope you find success!
D.L. - 500 is great, congrats!
Keithy - your edits sound like the story is really coming together, great work!
Magnus - congrats on that climbing monthly total!! And good luck with the shambles - I understand how that feels.
Esmae - even a small word count is certainly better than no word count, and best of luck as we head into NaNo time!

I got 513 words written on my morning commute. Feeling good as we head into the end, but unsure if I will finish it before November (yikes!). There is a typhoon heading our way on Monday, which might shut the school down and keep me home from work, which would be a great time to get more words down.

Layla Nahar
10-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Weird. I could have sworn I posted
Day 19: ~1.5 p in 1 WIP.

Here's to a wordful day 20 for everyone!!

Layla Nahar
10-21-2017, 03:33 AM
Day 20: ~1 page across 3 WIPs, but I'm sick (like, putting kleenex up your nose because it hurts too much to wipe it sick :-p); I did a bit more work on my LinkedIn. I also spent quite a bit of time doing 'unstucking' work on one of my stories, and reading the 5th book of the Abhorsen series, which is the kind of page turner even a slow reader like me would find hard not to finish in a day. It's been giving me insight about where I see my story as running aground.

Keithy
10-21-2017, 05:03 AM
After spending hours dealing with various chores (too many to name) I did some editing and fiddling around the first of the above mentioned "interviews". It's not really an interview as such, more someone pumping another for information, in exchange for (possible) freedom. The result is that the prisoner is still in the cell, and the "interviewer" knows a bit more. Oh, I wrote about 200 words.

peartree - what I do with these sideways conversations is pretend that the two people involved think someone else is listening (who might then tell someone else), so that means they can't say everything, or else they must talk around the subject. In the above conversation, things were a little more blunt because one of them wanted to know things and the other was desperate to be released. But the prisoner was sarcastic and insulted the "interviewer", which didn't help, and the interviewer thought more might be gleaned by not releasing them (and indeed stating some of the disadvantages of remaining locked up).

Tomorrow looks good for getting writing done. But actually working on the book helps too.

peartree
10-21-2017, 07:24 AM
peartree - what I do with these sideways conversations is pretend that the two people involved think someone else is listening (who might then tell someone else), so that means they can't say everything, or else they must talk around the subject. In the above conversation, things were a little more blunt because one of them wanted to know things and the other was desperate to be released. But the prisoner was sarcastic and insulted the "interviewer", which didn't help, and the interviewer thought more might be gleaned by not releasing them (and indeed stating some of the disadvantages of remaining locked up).

That's really helpful, thank you!

D.L. Shepherd
10-21-2017, 03:38 PM
Managed 450 words yesterday. Crazy weekend ahead, but I plan to at least have one writing session over the weekend.

Magnus
10-21-2017, 11:12 PM
Day 20-21
Seems I forgot to report in yesterday. I've had a rough few days but I've kept up with the writing, though just with my nose above water. But the habit is stronger and isn't letting me get off with simple excuses anymore, so that's good. 313 words Friday, 353 today. Monthly total: 9646 words.

Keep on keepin' on, folks.

Layla Nahar
10-22-2017, 12:45 AM
Day 21: Just over a page in one WIP. But I'm having crazy timez too, so I'm grateful for every little word.

Wordful days to you all!!

Keithy
10-22-2017, 04:55 AM
Finished chapter 20 to my satisfaction today and started on a new chapter set in a library. That's 700 words today (pinches self).

A quiet weekend (for a change) is helping me find time to work, and doing all those chores yesterday freed up time today. Tomorrow does not look quite so good, and house cleaning is looming next week.

peartree - this scene contains what might be construed as romance, but is more like unrequited affection - or attraction. The "Groom of the Stool" is very keen on the emperor's favourite concubine, but she's too busy thinking about freedom, justice and trying to persuade him that his job stinks (!)

Layla - I cannot imagine working on three WIP's at once. I'm struggling with one.

everyone else - keep on tippy-tap tippy-tap tippy-tapping.

heykatydid
10-22-2017, 06:12 AM
Nothing yesterday (for shame!) but today I forced myself to sit down and write enough for both days, and managed 1,901 words to the end of the second-to-last chapter! I might finish this before November yet.

Keithy - congrats on completing a chapter! You are on a roll!
Layla - one page is nothing to scoff at!
Magnus - you've finally got the words routine, that's fantastic! Great work!
D.L. - congrats on the words, and good luck with the upcoming writing session!

catesquire
10-22-2017, 06:41 AM
Oh heck yes, I love this kind of thread. *hops on in*

7,052 words total for the month. Nothing new for today. I blame it on finding AW. ;)

*cheers everyone else on*

Magnus
10-22-2017, 10:12 PM
Day 22
So in general, today was another bad day. I've really been feeling down, but again, the habit wouldn't be stopped. I did a complete rewrite of a piece of flash fiction and submitted it to a challenge, for a 677 word daily total. I'm so relieved and so happy I'm nearly crying. It's day 22 and I've beaten my total goal for last month. Not that I'm going to let that slow me down! Monthly total: 10323 words!

Layla - Looks like you're also getting the words out, even if it's not as many as you'd like. But it helps to keep the habit up!
Keithy - Nice, you're also getting the words out!
heykatydid - Excellent! Sometimes missing a day gives you the determination you need to get started!
catesquire - Welcome! I can tell you after three months that this works if you're persistent and patient!

Layla Nahar
10-22-2017, 10:59 PM
Magnus - that's fantastic! Congrats on all those words, and thanks for the encouragement :)
Katy - likewise, great work!
catEsq - hello & welcome to the thread
Keithy - whoa way to go 700!!

Reporting in early -
Day 22 - a little over a page in 2 WIPs. I'm adding a new WIP for this thread. I was working on it this summer - had been rolling it around in my mind for a year? before that... Been having a hard time finding the 'entry point' but now I'm doing some sketching - And I have another WIP that I've been doing a lot of 'outside the WIP' work - I've gotten to the end of the beginning, maybe, or the beginning of the middle and I'm finding it hard to know 'what happens now?' - so I'm trying to figure out things about the story by making lists... So this story, "Tell The Ferryman", is in simmer-mode for a bit, I think.

peartree
10-23-2017, 12:19 AM
Keithy - that's so cool! I would never have thought of something like that. I love the other worlds that other people create!

I pulled a muscle in my back yesterday and only got a couple paragraphs written and didn't bother doing a word count. I'm trying to "exercise" and stretch, but I think I'm going to have to call out of work tomorrow and I feel terrible about it, but I can barely go to the bathroom today, I could not control a classroom in this condition and I'm not going to accept money for a job I can't do.

heykatydid
10-23-2017, 04:58 AM
Magnus - CONGRATS!! You beat your goal with days to spare! That's impressive!!
peartree - I hope your back feels better! I hear you on classroom control - there are days when I just throw my hands up in the air, haha.
Layla - you have so many ideas going at the same time, I'm always impressed by it. Good luck on the new one!
catesquire - welcome to the thread, and congrats on your monthly count!

I wrote 593 words this morning since we got a free day off for the typhoon (yesssss), and might get some more written this afternoon if all goes to plan.

Keithy
10-23-2017, 05:24 AM
Alas today was pretty much a dud. A mixture of procrastination and genuinely being busy. Still, for one of my weekends it's not bad.

Monday looks busy. I'm not looking forward to Tuesday or Wednesday either.

peartree
10-23-2017, 05:41 AM
heykatydid - it doesn't help that I'm brand new at this! My mom is a veteran teacher and I was kvetching about my class on Friday and she was all, "I'm SO proud of you for [thing]" and I'm like...really?! Apparently I put in effort which is unusual? Anyway, it made me feel good! My back is a little better, but sitting up to dinner was more than enough to tell me that unless a miracle happens overnight I will not be able to sit or stand for 8 hours tomorrow. Blah. Congrats on the ~600 words!!

So far as work goes, I've been struggling with the plot of the third book of my fantasy trilogy. She's at war in the middle of it, and struggling with "trying to help" but people accusing her of "being in the way" and missing her fiance and unable to write to him because he's on the opposite side of the war. But I need to write a couple of chapters where she's actually getting to help and struggling with that (because she's a pampered little princess and has no idea what she's doing no matter how good her intentions) and getting that written so that the reader can see it without me explaining it baldly...oof. I just tell myself over and over, "chill on the exposition...chill on the exposition..."

D.L. Shepherd
10-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Magnus...It's been inspirational to watch your word count skyrocket, especially while you've been feeling down. Nice job beating your word count from last month!

Layla...That's great that you're adding another project to work on. When an idea won't let go, even after you put it aside for a long while, then you just have to go ahead and write it.

Keithy...Nice work adding the 700 words on Saturday. Hope things slow up for you soon so you can get back to your WIP.

heykatydid...Wowzers....2500 words over the past two days! Congrats.

catesquire...Welcome aboard. 7,000 words for the month so far is a nice amount of work. Keep it up.

peartree....Glad your back is feeling a little better. Hope it continues to improve.

me...I managed 500 words on Saturday. Nothing on Sunday. I have to write about 4,000 more words before the end of the month to reach my goal for October. I guess this week is crunch time!

Layla Nahar
10-23-2017, 11:01 PM
peartree - so sorry to hear about your back. I hope you are recovering well - take care of yourself.
Katy! Nice work, & hope it was a fun & rewarding day off
Keithy - keep swimming! keep swimming!
DL - congrats on the 500 - & any words is good words, so be good to yourself, too for this month, too :)

Day 23: about half a page in 2 WIPs. Did some online training for a temp gig selling a food gadget over the holidays. But other stuff going on, & feeling stressed & anxious - wanting to do more (needing, too, actually) and just trying to keep afloat. I'd like to do a little more swimming but treading is what I'm up to right now...

Magnus
10-24-2017, 02:04 AM
Day 23
The clock just hit midnight and I'm checking in with 441 words, mostly uninspired but words nonetheless. Now for a quick dog walk then bedtime, as going to bed this late is not advisable when I'm already feeling a bit on the downside. So another hit-and-run check-in. I'll add up total tomorrow!

Keep on chugging!

Keithy
10-24-2017, 04:43 AM
All I managed today was a bit of planning and deciding who is in my new "Library" chapter and a few very basic notes on what happens (apart from the 700 words already written)

peartree
10-24-2017, 08:39 AM
Only 138 words today. I re-aggravated my back too and I'm sore and mad. Anyone got any tips on how to fix a pulled lower back muscle? Or how to make an irritating heroine less irritating?

heykatydid
10-24-2017, 09:51 AM
D.L. - only 4000 more, you can totally do it! 500 words is a great dent on your monthly to-go number!
peartree - I definitely found it got easier after a few years and I figured out my own personal systems for running classes. I don't often have problems now except in extreme cases (knock on wood, haha). But good luck on the rest of your trilogy work, and congrats on the words you managed!
Keithy - dud days are totally allowed! After all, sometimes they pave the way for really productive days. :)

I got 513 words done on my commute this morning, not my best amount but hit my 500-word goal, so that's pretty good. One week left everyone!

D.L. Shepherd
10-24-2017, 04:04 PM
I had hoped to get 1,000 words yesterday, as I had freed up some time. But I only managed another 500.

Layla, Magnus, Keithy, peartree, and heykatydid: Seems like we all got done less than we wanted yesterday, but we all did something...which is much better than nothing, right? Onward.

Layla Nahar
10-24-2017, 04:30 PM
Anyone got any tips on how to fix a pulled lower back muscle?

Probably what you are doing now (mostly) - rest. Lie down. It will drive you crazy - it did me. I pulled a muscle in my lower back when I was about 27, I think. I couldn't walk, it hurt so bad. I ended up staying in bed for *three* days. Even after 3 days, it still hurt, but I could walk a bit more. OMG I nearly went crazy. I had an older friend who told me he had had the same thing, he thought he would be screwed for life, but it got back to normal.

Magnus
10-24-2017, 08:55 PM
Only 138 words today. I re-aggravated my back too and I'm sore and mad. Anyone got any tips on how to fix a pulled lower back muscle? Or how to make an irritating heroine less irritating?

Probably what you are doing now (mostly) - rest. Lie down. It will drive you crazy - it did me. I pulled a muscle in my lower back when I was about 27, I think. I couldn't walk, it hurt so bad. I ended up staying in bed for *three* days. Even after 3 days, it still hurt, but I could walk a bit more. OMG I nearly went crazy. I had an older friend who told me he had had the same thing, he thought he would be screwed for life, but it got back to normal.

If you know that it's a pulled muscle, then rest will actually make the healing take longer. As much as you are able, try to get blood flowing to your back muscles. That means moving. Walk, if you can, or look up some light back exercises you can do while prone or sitting. Talk to a physiotherapist if that's a possibility. And don't be afraid to use painkillers for the purpose of being able to move enough to get the blood flowing, or indeed to get enough sleep.

I messed up my back in my misspent youth and I've done this many times. Back in the days, I would rest and wait for it to be over and it could take several weeks to get well. Once I started using the above method, I cut down recovery time by more than half. The last time was by far the worst episode I've had (the pain was so strong it made me nauseous, and the first day I could not actually stand up straight), yet it was the speediest recovery. I was out walking after three days and moving normally after a little more than a week.

Magnus
10-24-2017, 10:15 PM
Day 24
317 words, once again after pushing myself. I'm sticking with it and the habit grows stronger. I do feel that I need to step up my game on the creative side, but for now I'm happy as long as I keep reinforcing the habit. Monthly total: 11081 words.

Also, I got some very good news today! I won third place in a fairly prestigious short story competition! Wooo! :snoopy:(I'm going to be published for the first time.)

edutton
10-24-2017, 10:31 PM
Also, I got some very good news today! I won third place in a fairly prestigious short story competition! Wooo! :snoopy:(I'm going to be published for the first time.)Congratulations! :partyguy:

I've barely been online the last few days, but I have (just) managed to keep up with my pre-planning objectives, so... yay, I guess.

Layla Nahar
10-24-2017, 11:40 PM
If you know that it's a pulled muscle, then rest will actually make the healing take longer.

Ha! "Go not to the Elves for council, for they answer both 'yes' and 'no'"

(Marcus looks like and Elf, and so do I...)

But - I do also rather agree. The rest helped me, but who's to say that wise exercise wouldn't have helped me recover fast. Since Marcus had mentioned exercise, I will say that exercise - working on your posture and strengthening your back and legs (check on this - do you have anterior pelvic tilt and/or over-pronation of the ankles? I wish someone could have told me to correct those two problems to stave of additional back problems later down the road.)

peartree
10-25-2017, 12:06 AM
If you know that it's a pulled muscle, then rest will actually make the healing take longer. As much as you are able, try to get blood flowing to your back muscles. That means moving. Walk, if you can, or look up some light back exercises you can do while prone or sitting. Talk to a physiotherapist if that's a possibility. And don't be afraid to use painkillers for the purpose of being able to move enough to get the blood flowing, or indeed to get enough sleep.

I messed up my back in my misspent youth and I've done this many times. Back in the days, I would rest and wait for it to be over and it could take several weeks to get well. Once I started using the above method, I cut down recovery time by more than half. The last time was by far the worst episode I've had (the pain was so strong it made me nauseous, and the first day I could not actually stand up straight), yet it was the speediest recovery. I was out walking after three days and moving normally after a little more than a week.

Oh I've been practicing walking. It's definitely helping, along with massaging the area (I'm getting faint bruises because of all the massage I'm trying to soothe it with), and I'm feeling a bit better. I wanted to swim, but the water's just too cold to endure at this time of year. I've also ordered those spiky massage balls off Amazon and I'm going to use them every morning to stop this from happening again if I can possibly help it.

Layla Nahar
10-25-2017, 03:00 AM
Wow - Magnus, wow :) that certainly is some very good news - that's fantastic :D Congratulations!!!

Day 24: Almost 2 pages in 1 WIP. Did one job app. keep swimming... keep swimming...

D.L. Shepherd
10-25-2017, 04:15 AM
Magnus...I saw your news on twitter too. How exciting for you! Congrats!

edutton...nice that you are still working on it, even if you haven't had a chance to check in. All this planning should help you a ton next month.

peartree...I hope the massages and the walking help you and that your feeling better soon.

Layla...great work getting two pages and another job app done. Good luck!

I managed 1500 words today. I *really* want to beat my monthly total from last month, so I'm forcing myself not only to sit in front of the computer, but to stay there too.

heykatydid
10-25-2017, 04:49 AM
Magnus - CONGRATS!! Wow, that's amazing!! And well done with your continuing word count!
Layla - good job! You are churning out those job apps AND pages in your WIP.
D.L. - 2000 words in two days isn't bad at all! Keep it up, I think your forced computer sitting is working.
edutton - hope the pre-planning activities continue to come together for you!
peartree - I really hope your back feels better soon - what a pain (literally)! Best of luck for your recovery!

I got 598 words written this morning. My Gdocs app crashed almost through my commute and I totally panicked, but thankfully Google saved all my writing. No thanks to iPhone, which is so buggy, but thanks to Google for saving it despite not hitting the "accept changes" button!

Keithy
10-25-2017, 05:35 AM
In amongst all the house cleaning, cooking and planting bulbs I managed 528 words.

Talking of aches, my wrist has started up again.

peartree - get well soon!

peartree
10-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Thanks for all the support guys! I'm much better today and can walk fairly normally, although twisting and bending are still very dicey. I didn't do any actual writing today, but I did try to chew over the chapter I'm working on for the last book of my trilogy. I'm so stuck with exactly what I want to happen, even though I have a good idea that I think a reader would enjoy, so I'm just trying to run through as many mental scenarios as I can, because my usual gambit of writing the first thing that comes into my head and then editing it is just not working.

Layla Nahar - progress is progress! I hope you get some good news about your forays into the job market soon.
D.L. Shepherd - 1500 words!!! That's so awesome!
heykatydid - I would have passed out right there if I thought I lost that much work. Thank goodness for Google! (P.S. Go Android ;) )
Keithy - you sound so accomplished when all I did today was try to walk, hunt for Christmas presents on Amazon, and chew over my storyline!

Magnus
10-26-2017, 12:20 AM
Day 25
338 words. Decent words, too, not just throw-away ones like the last few days.

Layla - I go into nurse mode when someone asks for health advice, but it wasn't my intention to walk all over your advice. Apologies. (And yes, I used to work as a nurse. Also, my name is Magnus. ;) )
peartree - Sounds like you're getting better, that's good! Cold water (or cold in general) is indeed not great for the muscles when they need to heal as it lowers blood circulation. I tend to go to the sauna an extra time a week when I have sore muscles. Not sure if you have those where you live. They're magical!
D.L. - Awesome, real progress there!

And thanks to everyone for your congratulations! I still haven't quite processed it. :eek:

Layla Nahar
10-26-2017, 01:41 AM
DL - wow, way to go 1.5K!!
Katy - 598, that's just about your 600, right? :D
Whoa, Keithy - congrats on the 528 - sounds like an all round productive day
peartree, glad your feeling a little better. I am having one of those points with one of my WIPs - yeah, I prefer to think things through before I write. Most of the time once I sit down, a little bit of the path becomes clear to me, and I can get up to a page, but most often less. When it gets to the one sentence zone, I know it's time to take a step back and let things simmer…

Also, my name is Magnus. ;)
So it is. (Whoops!) & congrats on a the decent words :)

Day 25: A little over one page in 2 WIPs.

I washed the bedding, flipped the mattress & vacuumed.
Applied for two jobs.
Researched a company I'm interested in; also put corks in 4 wind bottles filled with water. Its for this holiday part-time job I'm doing. That was interesting. We got a corker thing from Italy as part of the demo supplies. I'm going to guess that in the same way there is home-brew beer here, they might be home wine-making in Italy, or wine-makers on a small enough scale that they use a hand-tool to put in the cork.

So, some self-care, some job stuff and some writing

And hey - wot? 6 days left folks.
Keep on keepin on!

D.L. Shepherd
10-26-2017, 02:33 AM
heykatydid...Phew! So glad Google came to the rescue and you didn't lose your work.

Keithy...Nice work! Hope your wrist feels better so it doesn't hinder your writing.

peartree...Good luck figuring out your plot. I've been just writing my scenes as they come too, and because of it, I do think I'm going to have a lot of editing and rearranging in my future. But whenever I try to plan ahead, I get stuck and end up writing nothing at all.

Layla...Nice! You've been really busy trying to land that dream job. Glad you also found something in the interim to keep you busy. My husband considered making homemade wine about a year ago. He even started growing grapes. Then he realized wine was contributing to his migraines, so, now we have a grape vine that's getting bigger and no real use for it!

I managed just over 500 words again tonight. Seems to be my average writing session, unless I have a really good one like yesterday, but that's rare. Anyway, if I can swing 3 or 4 more ~500 word sessions before the end of the month, I will have beaten my word count for last month, so I am going to just make myself do this.

Keithy
10-26-2017, 03:08 AM
I managed 452 words today. The scenes in my "library" chapter need stitching together... and it's a little bit talky, so I keep telling myself something needs to "happen". I have no idea what.

D.L - that's about a week's worth for me! Wow! Oh, and my wrist has stopped aching.

heykatydid
10-26-2017, 03:17 AM
Layla - my dad makes his own wine! and beer. :) I've helped him bottle brews and wines. It's a fun hobby now that he's retired. And congrats on the one page!
D.L. - Google to the rescue indeed! I bet you can get those 500 word sessions in - best of luck!
Magnus - congrats on the decent words! Though it sounds like most of your words have been positive, given your recent accolades. ;)
peartree - I would much rather have an android, haha, but I'm currently using an iPhone 5 that was loaned to me to use until we leave Japan because the last thing I want to do is buy a new phone (visa issues make it expensive). But definitely when we leave. And I'm glad you are feeling better!

Yesterday I wrote an extra 412 words on my commute home, and today I wrote 777 words during my morning commute, which was higher than usual haha. I'm so close to the end of the WIP that I can taste it.

Disorderly Order
10-26-2017, 09:22 AM
peartree- sorry to hear about your back
Magnus- Congratulations on winning the short story competition!

Day 25:
wow can't believe it's been a week
Days 18-21 I spent on vacation
Days 22-23 I worked on a character synopsis
Day 24 I gave myself a break and made a pinterest board

Today I skipped to step 9 of the snowflake method and did a narrative description of each scene on my outline. That will help the most when NaNoWriMo starts.

Magnus
10-27-2017, 12:33 AM
Day 26
Drive-by report. 308 words. Goal reached, nose above water!

Layla Nahar
10-27-2017, 02:50 AM
Drive by here too.

day 26: wrote 3 sentences, but I wrote.

The housemate situation went south - I wasn't sure before, but now I am sure that this is a problem. But I decided that I wouldn't let it rob me of my writing. (And - I moved the guy in, despite my misgivings. I did it because my financial situation is bad. So that's my responsibility.) I had one good thing happen, so I'm just going to keep moving ahead. I'm going to my friend's how now to make a video myself using the magical wine corker thing so I can do the presentation job on Saturday.

I'm hanging in there.

Keithy
10-27-2017, 04:14 AM
Did a little prodding and poking at it, but nothing else worth talking about.

D.L. Shepherd
10-27-2017, 04:43 AM
Keithy...Glad your wrist stopped bugging you. Good job on the 452 words yesterday! Sorry you did not get much done today, but at least you looked at it.

heykatydid...That's awesome that you're so close to the finish line. Keep at it!

Disorderly...I'm betting next month you'll get that 50K in no problem with all this prepping. I'd also bet you're chomping at the bit to get started!

Magnus...So happy to see how well you've been doing with the challenge this month. Nice work all around.

Layla...I'm very sorry that the housemate did not work out. Hope its because a better one is out there for you and you connect with each other soon. Have fun with the wine demo.

I managed another 500 words tonight. I'm so close to my word count goal for the month, I think I'll get there in a couple of days if I keep at it.

Magnus
10-28-2017, 12:28 AM
Day 27
Quick check-in: 883 words, decent ones too, if not great.

12610 words total for the month. Feels pretty good. Going to target a specific story this weekend.

D.L. Shepherd
10-28-2017, 03:07 AM
Woo hoo Magnus! Nice session.

Today I opened the file for my WIP, left it open for about an hour or so while I messed around on social media, and now it's time to make dinner. Just wasn't feeling it today.

Keithy
10-28-2017, 04:18 AM
DL Shepherd - that's only slightly less than what I achieved today - 12 words and a bit of thinking while out and about.

Tomorrow does not look good either, but Sunday afternoon seems promising - no cooking and the place to myself for a few precious hours. I must not waste it.

Layla Nahar
10-28-2017, 05:18 AM
Lovely work, Magnus. You should feel great :) you've earned it :)

DL - but at least you sat with it -

Keithy - I had a day close to that yesterday - but - at least you gave the story some time - if we don't do it, who will?

Day 27: ~1/2 a page in 1 WIP. Feeling really good about that. I wanted to give in and give up...

peartree
10-28-2017, 08:13 AM
Hey all - I see you're having as much luck as I am with writing recently! I have been sewing a RenFest costume (for a festival I've never been to!) which has kept me busy, but I'm still struggling with my novel. Hell, let's be honest. I'm struggling with ALL my novels.

At least I can twist now, even if bending is a bit dicey.

Disorderly Order
10-28-2017, 09:10 AM
Magnus- Way to go on that word count!
Layla Nahar- Congratulations on that 1/2 page

Day 27:
I didn't check in yesterday but I did put in an hour doing the narrative outline

I only got a half hour in today. As I get closer to the end of the month I'm quickly losing steam.

Magnus
10-28-2017, 10:45 PM
Day 28
346 words on a story that I planned to write, so that's two goals hit for the day, though I had hoped to write a little more.

Layla - Nice, you got some words down after being ready to give up. That's twice as rewarding!
peartree - Good to hear you are getting better.
Disorderly - Keep at it! Get some more planning done so you are ready to hit the ground running in the November thread (coming up!)
D.L. - Just sitting down with writing in mind will reinforce the habit. Here's hoping tomorrow will bring the words! But you do seem to get distracted by social media a lot (join the club). Maybe hide those links, or set yourself on a social media timer?

heykatydid
10-29-2017, 02:54 AM
Well, I wasn't here for a few days, but that doesn't mean I wasn't writing (I have a friend visiting from the states right now). And I have great news! Thanks to this thread and forcing myself to sit down and write, I finished the first draft of book 2 in my duology! (With days to spare before NaNo starts!) The final draft count is 97,500 words - PHEW! What a ride. I've been working on that since February, on and off as my anxiety and job allowed. So I won't be doing much the last days as I get ready for NaNo.

Magnus - you are above and beyond your word count for the month, congratulations on your progress!
Disorderly - hopefully the 'NaNo is beginning' bit at the end will help push your motivation back up to where it was? Either way, you've pushed through the month, good job!
peartree - glad to hear your back is feeling better, and super jealous about RenFaire (I want to go) but hoping for better luck on your writing soon!
Keithy - good luck with your day to yourself! I hope you get a lot of words down!
Layla - half a page when you wanted to give up is great! A good accomplishment no matter how many words it ended up truly being.
D.L. - maybe the open document will spark some ideas? Hoping for your creative juices to flow back into the page!

Keithy
10-29-2017, 04:53 AM
Absolutely nothing today :-( but let's see what tomorrow brings.

Layla Nahar
10-29-2017, 07:03 AM
peartree, me too (struggling with all my novels…)
Disorderly, congrats on getting half an hour in
Magnus - congrats on those words
Katy - wow, awesome, congrats on finishing!!
Keithy - glad you posted - keep swimming!

Me, another day I almost said - no, I want to lie down, but I got 50 words in.

This thread is great.

peartree
10-29-2017, 09:58 AM
Magnus - keep on keeping on! Progress is good :)
heykatydid - WOO!! Is there a greater feeling than finishing that first draft?? Congrats!
Keithy - that was my Friday. You can do it!
Layla - congrats on banging out those 50 words. Every victory matters :)

503 words today. Think I've finally found a good direction for this section of my novel, and am super relieved that I've at least written something!!

Disorderly Order
10-29-2017, 11:36 AM
haykatydid- CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Layla Nahar- Thank you and good job on getting those 50 words in
peartree- Yay!

Day 28:

One hour of working on a character synopsis. Kinda feel like I'm getting my motivation back

ktzeee
10-29-2017, 10:32 PM
I wrote a novel during the latter half of September and finished it this month and am now leaping into Nano with my next novel! (And a WIP that I've been working on on the side. XD) I don't know why writing has gripped me this year, but I'm hoping it doesn't stop!!

Magnus
10-30-2017, 12:58 AM
Day 29
Uninspired and with my mind elsewhere today, but the habit got me in the end and I sat down to write some conceptual text that wasn't half bad. 410 words, for a 13366 word total for the month.

heykaty - Awesome, congrats!

Layla Nahar
10-30-2017, 03:29 AM
peartree - nice work - congrats on things beginning to fall into place - & the 500 words :)
Disorderly - congrats again on getting to that half hour - like you say, every little bit counts
welcome ktzeee :)
Magnus - congrats on the words, and the habit.

Day 29: another day where I'm just glad to get something in. about 30 words. I also did two 1-click apps, and wrote a job letter.

ktzeee
10-30-2017, 04:44 AM
Magnus - hey, 410 isn't bad at all. Something is better than nothing!
Layla - I've had many days like that and I know exactly how you feel. You''ll push through it eventually!!

After days of research/editing/very little writing, I managed to knock out 3,000 words on my WIP today, woohoo. :)

Keithy
10-30-2017, 05:29 AM
I spent my spare time wisely today, finishing the new "Library" chapter with 250 new words and some other stuff deleted.

The problem is that I've shunted this new chapter beyond a previous chapter in the plot, so that one needs tweaking.

My body clock is confused thanks to last night's hour change (I hate all that fiddling with clocks), so I'll stop writing and have a beer. Cheers!

Disorderly Order
10-30-2017, 10:00 AM
ktzee- Welcome!
Magnus- Congrats on getting those words in
Layla Nahar- That's the right attitude to have and here's to many more words
Keithy- Congrats on finishing the chapter

Day 29:

I got a full hour in this time. I think doing it first thing instead of waiting til night helped a lot. Just two days left!

edutton
10-30-2017, 03:59 PM
And I have great news! Thanks to this thread and forcing myself to sit down and write, I finished the first draft of book 2 in my duology!Congratulations! That's awesome.

edutton
10-30-2017, 04:03 PM
Sorry I've been away... I got nothing done writing-wise this weekend, swamped with a college visit and some other obligations. Tonight is my three-hour block to make it back, though (and since this is still pre-planning work, it's mostly conceptual and shouldn't be hard to catch up). I'm really doubting I'll be able to pull off a win in November, if I'm being honest with myself, but if it gets me actually, finally writing this book then I'll take it. :Shrug:

- - - Updated - - -

After days of research/editing/very little writing, I managed to knock out 3,000 words on my WIP today, woohoo. :)Nice!

ktzeee
10-30-2017, 05:15 PM
Disorderly - thank you!!
edutton - thank you! I completely understand your concerns. The funny thing with me is that I stress write. The past 1.5 months, I was recruiting hardcore for public accounting firms while enrolled as a fulltime master's student and participating in extracurriculars besides, and I was so stressed that I ended up somehow writing a 80,000 words novel. I did it by writing on the bus, sometimes writing in lecture (shhhh), and forcing myself to go to the library and write when my friends were out partying every weekend. (I'm a sad person, I know.) But if this novel is important to you--and it sounds like it is--I believe you'll be able to push through at least a decent chunk of the writing! I'm doing Nanowrimo as well and scared because I have 2 extra classes this quarter...but still...we got this!

edutton
10-30-2017, 06:00 PM
I was so stressed that I ended up somehow writing a 80,000 words novel. I did it by writing on the bus, sometimes writing in lecture (shhhh), and forcing myself to go to the library and write when my friends were out partying every weekend. (I'm a sad person, I know.) But if this novel is important to you--and it sounds like it is--I believe you'll be able to push through at least a decent chunk of the writing! I'm doing Nanowrimo as well and scared because I have 2 extra classes this quarter...but still...we got this!Yeah, that's how I got my first book written. In an empty room at work during lunch hour, as often as not... and in the library, and late at night, and... we all know the drill. :D

D.L. Shepherd
10-30-2017, 06:50 PM
Keithy...glad you managed to get some words in. I *hate* when they mess with the clocks. Ours comes next weekend. Hope you enjoyed your beer!

Layla...so happy this thread is working for you. Every session helps. No matter how small, the words are still adding up.

peartree...nice work getting in those 500 words!

Disorderly...great that you found your motivation again. Keep it up!

Magnus...great monthly total for you. You are really plugging along! You're right that I should limit my social media time. I literally should just unplug the modem from the wall, that might help.

heykatydid...woo hoo! Congrats on finishing!! Enjoy your well earned break for a few days.

ktzee...wow! That was some amazing fast writing. Hope you manage to keep up that much motivation for the next one you are planning!

edutton...I bet you'll do amazing next month. Good luck!

I managed another 500 words on Saturday, but nothing on Sunday. I need to add about ~200 words to beat last month's total, so I should be able to make it between today and tomorrow. Nothing like waiting until last minute though!

Layla Nahar
10-30-2017, 11:00 PM
drive by check in

Day 30: ~half page - that's up from the last few days! I went mad on the 1-click applications this morning & got a phone interview invite. The jobs in another state! might be about a 1 hour commute - but I can't play around with money any more - & I'd take the train, so - two hours of writing time a day?

D.L. Shepherd
10-31-2017, 12:11 AM
Layla...that would be awesome...a job AND forced writing time. I like it. Good luck!!

I wrote 763 words today, which means...(drum roll)...I beat my word count from last month and made my goal! Yippee! I still plan to write tomorrow, so I won't post my final count until then. Hoping that will force me to sit down and have a final session, rather than just burying myself in Halloween candy wrappers after I finally crack open the bag that I've been resisting all week. Hope everyone else is busy writing.

Magnus
10-31-2017, 12:30 AM
Day 30
Quick check-in again: 472 words.

DL - Awesome, congrats on hitting your goal! You earned that candy!

Disorderly Order
10-31-2017, 09:34 AM
Day 30:

I did a little over two hours finishing all my planning. I'm taking Halloween off so I'm well rested for Nano. Good luck everyone!

edutton
10-31-2017, 04:43 PM
Day 30:

I did a little over two hours finishing all my planning. I'm taking Halloween off so I'm well rested for Nano. Good luck everyone!Same here! (Well, I take off Halloween every year because Halloween, but yeah... I've done all the planning that my pantser's heart can stand, and now I'm ready to let the crappy first draft flow. :)

Good luck, one and all!

Layla Nahar
10-31-2017, 08:32 PM
Day 31:

I'll begin with a look at my last month's summary:

Day 30 - my high for the month - 688 words in 3 WIPs! My total output for the month was 7560, and I took two 'skip' days. My average words per day was about 250.

today I wrote about 1 page in two WIPs, had a phone interview, then updated my Zip profile, and my new Aquent profile!

My total for this month was: 10170 words (!!) bettering my total of last month by about 2600! I wrote every day, my average words/day was 328, and my most productive day was ~692* words.

*(I write by hand, about 8 words per line. I count lines, and multiply)

See y'all in the November thread!

Magnus
10-31-2017, 10:56 PM
Day 31
515 words. I've written 14,353 words total this month. That's some 11,000 more than last month, and 463 words per day. I hit my goals, and then some! What a difference it makes to have a small daily goal to aim for instead of chipping away at a big lump for the month!

Thanks everyone for participating and for supporting the others in here. I hope to see you in November!

D.L. Shepherd
11-01-2017, 12:54 AM
Magnus...wow...that is some change from last month for you. Congrats and keep at it...and thanks again for starting these threads! Oh, P.S., I've had six pieces of candy so far. So much for the diet. But I did manage to add another 600 words today as well, so it balances out.

Disorderly...good luck next month! Can't wait to see how you do with NaNoWriMo.

Layla...that's awesome that you've done so much more this month. It's great when you total it all up and see your progress, isn't it?

So, here's my stats: I wrote 11,331 words this month, which is 1,203 more than I did last month! The total for my WIP is now 34,013 and I'm still hoping to finish my first draft by the end of the year.

The thing I really slipped up on was that I only wrote 18 days out of a 31 day month. Imagine how much more I might have written if I had done so more often? Next month that will be my new goal, to try to write 6 days a week, as well as to beat this month's total word count. See you all in November!

peartree
11-01-2017, 05:17 AM
I've had a horrible day - I lost my cool at work and shouted at a class to "shut up" when they were being so noisy I quite literally could not have heard a brass band outside the door - and one little horror "reported" me for it. The school isn't mad at me, but gave a few pointers to follow next time, and you can bet I'll never try to discipline the little monsters myself again instead of sending them off for detention, even if it IS a holiday.

I got about 400 words done yesterday but I'm too tired and angry to write tonight. Torn between two ideas for NaNoWriMo. Do you guys think I should write a sci fi I've had on the mental backburner for awhile, or try a new middle-grade school story that occurred to me a couple weeks ago when I was working in an ESE ("disabled") classroom? I'm not at all sure which way to go at this point, would appreciate your advice.

Layla Nahar
11-01-2017, 05:47 AM
I'd say go with whichever one seems 'liveliest'.

& the children - they can be awful. They know that we won't hurt them (I think it must be programmed into our genes or something) so they delight in pushing things as far as they can...

OH! someone told me a trick that worked for them with a noisy class was to speak quietly...

peartree
11-01-2017, 05:55 AM
I'd say go with whichever one seems 'liveliest'.

& the children - they can be awful. They know that we won't hurt them (I think it must be programmed into our genes or something) so they delight in pushing things as far as they can...

OH! someone told me a trick that worked for them with a noisy class was to speak quietly...

The reason I'm so torn between the potential novels is that the sci fi one is a glorious opportunity for world-building, and I have all sorts of film noir monster references buzzing around my head to turn into the aliens on their brave new world, and the middle grade one is a) something critically needed because I've seen zero books that revolve around neuro-atypical children and b) so tantalizing a prospect as a 'coming of age' story where small-town well-off girl gets shaken out of her selfishness and starts seeing the world around her.

I was seriously losing my cool with that class. I'd already had one awful class that day, and the fact it was the second-to-last class of the day made them extra zooey or something and there were nearly 30 of them so it was overcrowded, and it was the world's simplest assignment (I could've done it myself in 5 minutes, and that would be taking time for nice handwriting) and they just would not or could not follow the directions. I even tried talking quietly to the kids who were trying to work and they were trying so hard to listen (and some of them tried to shush the others) and it just didn't work and I got so MAD that this handful of terror tots was ruining everything for the other kids too...blah. Hell, maybe I should put THAT into the middle grade book whenever I end up writing it!! It would have the ring of truth!

Magnus
11-01-2017, 12:37 PM
The reason I'm so torn between the potential novels is that the sci fi one is a glorious opportunity for world-building, and I have all sorts of film noir monster references buzzing around my head to turn into the aliens on their brave new world, and the middle grade one is a) something critically needed because I've seen zero books that revolve around neuro-atypical children and b) so tantalizing a prospect as a 'coming of age' story where small-town well-off girl gets shaken out of her selfishness and starts seeing the world around her.

I was seriously losing my cool with that class. I'd already had one awful class that day, and the fact it was the second-to-last class of the day made them extra zooey or something and there were nearly 30 of them so it was overcrowded, and it was the world's simplest assignment (I could've done it myself in 5 minutes, and that would be taking time for nice handwriting) and they just would not or could not follow the directions. I even tried talking quietly to the kids who were trying to work and they were trying so hard to listen (and some of them tried to shush the others) and it just didn't work and I got so MAD that this handful of terror tots was ruining everything for the other kids too...blah. Hell, maybe I should put THAT into the middle grade book whenever I end up writing it!! It would have the ring of truth!

I briefly tried my hand at teaching when I was much younger. I deeply respect anyone who takes it on. It does sound like you're having to deal with more than you should; a big class filled with kids you don't know very well is often a challenge. Kids who are angels with their regular teachers can be devils when they test the limits of a teacher they don't know (this I know first-hand because I was a brat just like that). But you probably know all that, and I just want to tell you not to put yourself down too much about it. Annoying kids will get under anyone's skin, eventually. They're masters of the art.

The sci-fi book sounds like a good idea if you need some escape. That's a big part of why I read and write. The other book sounds important, but it also sounds like it could be a bit too close to what you're already doing at work? I'm not saying you shouldn't write it. But consider how it may affect you emotionally to work on it after coming home from work. Maybe wait until things are calmer at work (if such a thing is likely to happen) or until you have time off?

peartree
11-01-2017, 06:20 PM
I briefly tried my hand at teaching when I was much younger. I deeply respect anyone who takes it on. It does sound like you're having to deal with more than you should; a big class filled with kids you don't know very well is often a challenge. Kids who are angels with their regular teachers can be devils when they test the limits of a teacher they don't know (this I know first-hand because I was a brat just like that). But you probably know all that, and I just want to tell you not to put yourself down too much about it. Annoying kids will get under anyone's skin, eventually. They're masters of the art.

The sci-fi book sounds like a good idea if you need some escape. That's a big part of why I read and write. The other book sounds important, but it also sounds like it could be a bit too close to what you're already doing at work? I'm not saying you shouldn't write it. But consider how it may affect you emotionally to work on it after coming home from work. Maybe wait until things are calmer at work (if such a thing is likely to happen) or until you have time off?

I'm a substitute teacher so the classes I teach every day are different (and I work for different schools too) so I'm not always in ESE classrooms. But your point is well taken. I think I'll stick with the sci fi, thanks!