It's the simple things

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I once knew a woman, the most well-adjusted person I've ever known, more comfortable in her own skin than anyone I've known since, and so one day I asked her, "How do you do it?"

"Well, I just try to find joy in the simple things."

Maybe a good approach.

What simple things give you joy?

MRFAndover

Registered
Reaction score
What a fantastic question. When I remember that, I am definitely more comfortable in my skin. But lately, I've been forgetting and fretting.

Yesterday, when I was hiking in the woods with my dog, I saw a small orange-capped fungus peaking out from under a leaf. That was a moment when I forgot myself--a definite moment of joy.

Thank you, Maze Runner, for reminding me!

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Simple things that bring me joy:

A warm sunny day
A freshly baked cookie
New leaves unfurling in spring

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
What a fantastic question. When I remember that, I am definitely more comfortable in my skin. But lately, I've been forgetting and fretting.

Yesterday, when I was hiking in the woods with my dog, I saw a small orange-capped fungus peaking out from under a leaf. That was a moment when I forgot myself--a definite moment of joy.

Thank you, Maze Runner, for reminding me!

So important to take your joy where you find it. We all get so intent on going...somewhere, that we forget to appreciate what's right in front of us. And, after all, nobody is promised tomorrow. Thanks for your post, great.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honey. Every single thing about honey makes me happy.

ETA: And the best is that a local child I'm fond of brought me a jar of honey from the family bees, plus a drawing she'd done last week. Just for nothing.

Last edited:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
When my gorgeous, fuzzy, gold-eyed standoffish cat climbs into my lap and purrs up a storm. Happens maybe once a week, and it's lovely.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
When my gorgeous, fuzzy, gold-eyed standoffish cat climbs into my lap and purrs up a storm. Happens maybe once a week, and it's lovely.

They're so independent. We're lucky they allow us to share their space.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Honey. Every single thing about honey makes me happy.

ETA: And the best is that a local child I'm fond of brought me a jar of honey from the family bees, plus a drawing she'd done last week. Just for nothing.

That's pretty, uh, sweet. Kids, absolutely, thanks for reminding me.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
A really nice sunrise/set.

Catching a glimpse of a bird of prey while driving.

The smell of my apartment after I've been baking.

A fresh cup of coffee.

Cats.

On my way home from work, the rare occasion when the lane is clear on the highway and I can just put the pedal down.

When I successfully startle someone just by walking up behind them. I don't always do it on purpose, but I will never not be amused by it.

Pizza Fridays.

Today in particular I draw joy from the anticipation of a couple of small things I did for other people for tomorrow. I know I'll get a smile and a thank you from both of them. Sometimes I feel like the little things are even appreciated more, precisely because it takes less effort and more thought to do.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I've been working on painting baseboards and repainting my vintage road bicycle (really, who paints a Japanese bike British racing green?).

About when I had to vent the garage to let some spray paint fumes go so my house doesn't stink too badly, and I had a few minutes to just sit around while listening to an audiobook play from my bluetooth speaker, I realized it was a nice day outside. So I stood in front of my open garage, facing the park outside and enjoyed a bit of calm knowing that things were generally going in the right direction--wherever that is. Moments like that, moments of the present just being present.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I drink a glass of Naked Mighty Mango smoothie at the beginning of breakfast most mornings, and am always grateful.

Watching wild critters: turkeys, deer, turkey vultures, stellar jays, gray and Douglas squirrels, and the occasional flock of tanagers. Among others.

Finding a cluster of Fairy Slipper Orchids in the woods (Calypso Bulboso). The sudden burst of yellow from the forsythias in spring. Watching the deer chow down the lower leaves on our lilac bush.

The smell of cinnamon in stores this time of year. The scent of Sweet Alyssum. The honey scent of Madrone trees after rain.

Listening to my guy purr (literally).

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Encountering a cute little kid or animal, wine, and when my favorite TV shows come on.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first crayon-red leaf on the trees in back. The wild turkeys coming right up to the windows, fearless. My husband reaching for and holding my hand, since he does it rarely. The smell of a fireplace when someone's burning apple wood. The stems of the daffodils coming up through what's left of the snow like green pencils. The happy shrieks of our neighbors' kids playing in their yards before dinner.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Maryn, you reminded me of something. There's a young couple in the house directly behind us. Our yards are separated by a wall. Right after they moved in the woman gave birth, so every now and then I'd hear her baby cry. I felt like such a fool when a few weeks ago, I was sitting out on my back porch and I could hear their baby saying "Dada, Dada, Dada," over and over again. I couldn't see her (I think it's a baby girl) but I actually let out a little laugh at the hearing of her forming her first words.

And, as I sit here, I hear train whistles--I can never get enough.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, that's another one. A summer night, windows open, and that train whistle. Hell, a summer night and the fan blowing cool air on my skin. Beats the hell out of AC.

This one's maybe a bit silly, but pulling weeds and a huge root comes up with it. Such satisfaction!

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I've been laid up for a week, and in pain. Went to the doctor, finally, I'm a hardcase, got a prescription, and today was the first break. Just not being in excruciating pain, ha, brings me an incredible amount of joy. It's the simple things, alright.

This season coming up was my favorite when I lived back east. There must be someone who doesn't like Autumn, but I can't imagine why not, other than in mourning the summer and in anticipation of the winter season coming up. Out here, in Southern California, we've basically got two seasons, hot and not so hot.

Added to this, when it rains in LA it is a truly joyous event. And snow, I remember a few years ago we actually had a wet snow fluttering to the ground. I happened to be out driving when it happened. I pulled over and jumped out of my car to get as much of it as I could. I had to laugh when office workers poured out of the buildings to get a taste for themselves. Pointing up at the sky, pure joy in their smiles.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You come visit in January. We have lots of shovels, and a good fireplace for after, too.

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
I'll shovel for my dinner, Maryn. Don't mind at all. And we've got a fireplace, too, also stacks of unused logs from last year. We hope to use them this year.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just tuck those logs into your suitcase, my dear!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

I remember the time it snowed in San Diego. December 1969. Such a thrill!

I always love the green on green patterns that leaves make.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Just tuck those logs into your suitcase, my dear!

Will do, for that matter I don't mind heaving an axe. This is one city boy who's not afraid of such things.

I remember the time it snowed in San Diego. December 1969. Such a thrill!

I always love the green on green patterns that leaves make.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Yeah, even more than a simple joy, it is an actual thrill. I wonder if cold weather people get that. Maybe this time of year they can, but in the dead of winter I fear we'd be attacked by giant, sharp-edged icicles.

One thing I just wanted to mention, there may be people reading this thread who are going through serious things, illnesses, deaths, extreme financial worries, so I don't want to overlook that. There've been times in my life when I couldn't have found joy if it knocked on my door. So I wish the best to anyone who's in that position at this time. In my experience, feeling joy can be difficult even when things are going well, and sometimes it can be next to impossible. Best to you.

Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's a thoughtful observation, which surprises us not at all. We know you.

Allow me to share something I don't talk about much any more. Mr. Maryn nearly died in the mid-90s. He had a cancer with a five percent survival rate. Our kids were young and we were not deeply rooted in the community or anything (still aren't), but I'd become friendly with the mom of two kids the ages of our kids. They invited the kids and me to dinner one night, and told me to bring a swimsuit and a barrette or something. After dinner, while they read to and played with the kids, I got a sacred half hour in their hot tub, under a roof but open, while it snowed and snowed. I'd had a glass of wine with dinner and was relaxed but not drunk. It was the closest I've ever felt to serenity, then or since.

Maryn, who has a Mr. Maryn, for the record

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reading your responses brings me joy! :snoopy:

(I get tired of seeing so much negativity on the internet.)

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Sometimes I think it's at these worst of times -- and yes, I'm well aware this is one of those -- that we need reminders of those small joys, that they're still there. Under rubble in some cases, scorched in some cases, but not forever gone. Not in most cases.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Allow me to share something I don't talk about much any more...

That was beautiful. Maryn. Thank you. It's interesting how in the worst of times, your mind will heal itself, out of necessity. And the contrast, because of what makes up most of your days, is stark.

When my mother, the pretty woman in my profile photo, (I'm the one with the flight-worthy ears) was diagnosed with Stage IV Lung Cancer, it came out of nowhere and we were devastated. We'd been told that she had COPD, but she'd been misdiagnosed until it was too late to do anything about it. She was given a few months to live, and it was so dark. When you're in the middle of something like that life takes on a surreal quality. You're there, but not there. And you're exhausted, from the caring for, from the sadness, lack of sleep, etc. My only brother flew out from New York with his fiance, who was a great help, and true to form for us, we partied our asses off. We celebrated her and what she'd always meant to us. We played our piano and guitars and we sang, sang, sang, all the standards--and my mother could sing! Even with her condition, she could still sing. And we laughed, oh how we laughed, and we cried when she wasn't looking. At this moment I'm tearing up, so I'll stop, but thanks for remind me of that. After she passed, it was late December, we (speaking of logs) lit a fire in my backyard and stood around drinking wine and talking about her. She is missed.
Reading your responses brings me joy! :snoopy:

(I get tired of seeing so much negativity on the internet.)

It's getting pretty rough, my friend, and who knows? they may get me in the end, but they're gonna know they were in a fight. Hope you are well, sweetness.

Sometimes I think it's at these worst of times -- and yes, I'm well aware this is one of those -- that we need reminders of those small joys, that they're still there. Under rubble in some cases, scorched in some cases, but not forever gone. Not in most cases.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

These times are dark. Look at what we've got setting the tone. All things pass, and that will too. Maybe sooner than we know. In the meantime, we can't let it rob us of our right to feel joy. The clock's ticking.