What to do with my previously-published sci-fi thriller

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
The rights to my second novel recently reverted back to me due to the bankruptcy of my former publisher. The publisher was small. The book sold a couple of thousand copies. The book precedes a trilogy that is due to be released Sept. 26 through Permuted Press/Simon & Schuster. Here is my question: Should I self-publish the book and make it available when the other book is released, OR should I try to find an agent who might be able to sell it to one of the "Big 5"? I appreciate any advice.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
The rights to my second novel recently reverted back to me due to the bankruptcy of my former publisher. The publisher was small. The book sold a couple of thousand copies. The book precedes a trilogy that is due to be released Sept. 26 through Permuted Press/Simon & Schuster. Here is my question: Should I self-publish the book and make it available when the other book is released, OR should I try to find an agent who might be able to sell it to one of the "Big 5"? I appreciate any advice.

I guess my first instinct would be to offer it to Permuted (assuming you've been happy with them). Of course, the big problem is they wouldn't be able to publish it simultaneously (I'm assuming, given the short timeframe).

In general, agents won't look at something that's been published, but I don't know if your circumstances are different enough.

I suppose in your shoes I'd set it up to self-publish maybe sometime between December and March, to leverage the mindshare you get for the Sept 26th book. And then I'd immediately try querying it, and if that pans out, I'd change the self-pub plans.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Um, you might want to check your contract with Permuted Press first to make sure there isn't any language about a time frame for competing books, however. I think I'd offer it to them first, then self-publish it if they turn it down.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Um, you might want to check your contract with Permuted Press first to make sure there isn't any language about a time frame for competing books, however. I think I'd offer it to them first, then self-publish it if they turn it down.

Ah, good point.​If Permuted is dreaming of a series, they might have language in the contract.