Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
This Book That Scammed Its Way Onto the Times Bestseller List Is Real, Real Bad

The subtitle of the article is, "It’s easily the wildest story in publishing right now"

Buckle up, because this story is weird as all get-out. Yesterday, young adult writer and publisher Phil Stamper noticed a discrepancy on the New York Times bestseller list for YA fiction. Angie Thomas’ The Hate U Give, a wildly acclaimed novel (and soon to be movie) about a young black woman who becomes an activist after she sees police murder her friend, had been displaced by an unknown: something called Handbook for Mortals, by Lani Sarem, from the brand-new publishing arm of website GeekNation. And by “unknown,” we don’t mean a dark-horse phenom; we mean a book that literally cannot be bought from Amazon or Barnes & Noble, and yet somehow suddenly sold enough copies to not only make the bestseller list but debut at number one.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, that was lovely. :popcorn: Yep; winning by cheating is not winning. This will probably be the only thing that author will ever be remembered for now.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
YA author and blogger Claribel Ortega undergoes the hellish task of tweeting many passages of this book, so we don't have to. The writing...yowza. In comparison, Atlanta Nights is a huge leap up in quality. Livejournal circa 2002 called and wants its Mary Sues back.

https://storify.com/Claribel_Ortega/clarireadshandbook

LeftyLucy

Registered
Reaction score
I watched that go down on Twitter and it was extraordinary. I knew that politically conservative authors were known to move onto best seller lists through bulk buys, but didn't think we'd see the day it happened in YA.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score

By year-end, we will have appeared at a dozen events, and we plan to attend upwards of 40 of these confabs in 2018.

In order to sell books at these events, I had to have books to sell. If I had purchased the books directly from my distributor, Itasca Books, they would not count as sales for purposes of the New York Times list. If they were purchased from booksellers — brick and mortar or online — they would count

LMAO. So putting aside the fact that she's admitting she purposely chose her actions with the goal of gaming the system for NYT sales credit, this argument would hold a lot more water if the orders had actually been able to be filled. If your end-goal is a pile of product to sell at an event, how is ordering an out-of-stock book helpful?

Also, she's claiming that a sales booth at a convention is a brand new sales method that nobody has ever thought of before. Umm, what about literally every other booth at every convention ever?

But hey, maybe she DID sell that many copies at conventions. In that case, I'm sure she has sales records to back up her claim...and loads of readers willing to come forward and say they bought her book...

(Also, I'm unfamiliar with the ins and outs of NYT reporting, is that true about buying the book directly from the distributor not counting? If so, why wouldn't it count?)

Last edited:

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
It's not even a YA book. The protag isn't a teenager. It's just a badly-written adult book.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
(Also, I'm unfamiliar with the ins and outs of NYT reporting, is that true about buying the book directly from the distributor not counting? If so, why wouldn't it count?)

I'm unsure the origin of why NYT treats bulk sales differently, but throughout the reporting on this event, I've read that bulk sales are treated differently. Apparently some right-wing pundits regularly bulk-buy their own books and give them away to subscribers, which is how they appear on the NYT besteller list (but with an asterisk, as Ms. Sarem notes).

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Didn't I read in the original breakdown that all of the sales were recorded in the week before the book was released? Doesn't sound like terribly good advanced planning if you were buying for a con tour.

Also, that's a lot of books for a con tour.

Also, I was at Wizard World Philadelphia in June, which was maybe before she was doing all of this hard-working promo; but Wizard World is very comic-and-video-game focused. Authors largely got lost there, although it was still a ton of fun.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I'm unsure the origin of why NYT treats bulk sales differently, but throughout the reporting on this event, I've read that bulk sales are treated differently. Apparently some right-wing pundits regularly bulk-buy their own books and give them away to subscribers, which is how they appear on the NYT besteller list (but with an asterisk, as Ms. Sarem notes).

I understood that much. The way she phrased it though, it sounded like purchases from the distributors wouldn't be counted at all, as a bulk sale or otherwise. I was wondering if:

1) this was correct

2) If a bulk purchase from a distributor differed in some meaningful way (for reporting purposes) from a bulk purchase from a retail seller. (Because, for a simplified example, if a book was expected to be popular and retailers purchased it in mass quantities, only for it to end up a dud and sitting on the shelf, the argument could be made that the "sales" weren't there, even if the distributor made money. Or perhaps distributors don't report, because if they reported, and then the retailer reported their own sale of the same book, it would basically show two sales when in actuality, only one copy of the book reached the end user. Something like that).

Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
The short answer to your questions, I think, is that they can't easily be answered because the NYT considers the calculation of its lists a trade secret.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
Apparently, according to an update on pajiba.com, there may be a lawsuit over the cover art too. The artist who did the cover was told to do an homage to the piece "The Knifethrower" by Gill Del Mace and was told full attribution would be made to the original artist. The agent of the original artist says no attribution was made, nor were they ever contacted about it.

It also sounds like the plan the entire time was to get it on the NYT Bestseller list in order to get funding to make a movie out of the story. (also interestingly enough, the movie already has an IMDB page, and lists the book's author as the female lead.)

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently, according to an update on pajiba.com, there may be a lawsuit over the cover art too. The artist who did the cover was told to do an homage to the piece "The Knifethrower" by Gill Del Mace and was told full attribution would be made to the original artist. The agent of the original artist says no attribution was made, nor were they ever contacted about it.

It also sounds like the plan the entire time was to get it on the NYT Bestseller list in order to get funding to make a movie out of the story. (also interestingly enough, the movie already has an IMDB page, and lists the book's author as the female lead.)

*something pithy about eggs, chickens, horses, and carts*

Has anybody heard anything from the publisher? It's all been from bloggers, pundits, and Sarem herself but I'm curious as to what GeekNation has to say about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.