Interesting site I came accross for POD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverhand

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ericfogle.com

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
...One of those "cons" is how the established publishing community views print-on-demand books. They view them as "vanity" publications and booksellers may be reluctant to deal with them.

Severe under-statement.

Why are publishers who are located in the high-traffic media biased against print-on-demand publishing? Because they know the author had total control over the book and it did not go through the standard editing process.

...the truth of the matter is that print-on-demand publishing is taking money out of their pockets. The "biggies" cannot reveal their true motive, so they do the "human" thing and create as much bad publicity for the print-on-demand industry that they can then use the leverage of other "biggies" like themselves to keep everyone's pockets padded with the green stuff.

The usual stuff about traditional publishers being big bullies who actually shiver under the blankets at night because the POD world relovultion is coming...

So unless you plan to write a book that you expect to be interviewed on BookTV or Larry King Live about, I suggest you check out print-on-demand publishing.

The usual stuffabout how only 6 people in the whole world do well through trad publishing, totally over-looking the medium to small presses.

Okay as an essay about one guy writing niche non-fiction with an insistence of thanking Jesus at length at the end finding self-POD was his niche--but extremely biased and full of dubious advice. None of the real 'cons' of self-PODing are properly explained to put this choice in it proper context. It was right for him--he seems to think that makes it right for everyone. Nope.

Silverhand

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ericfogle.com
Heh,

Well...back to the drawing board. This was a fairy positive review of the POD which is why I wanted to see what people thought. Could you recommend a better info source to me Vein?

Status
Not open for further replies.