PDA

View Full Version : Social Worker, Coma, Disorderly Conduct

rag5051
08-25-2017, 08:04 PM
Hey, everyone. As you can see from my title, I have a bit of a mixed question.

Basically, I'm writing a sequel to a YA novel that I just finished. In the first book, my character ended up in a coma.

I'm now in the process of writing the sequel.

Basically, the sequel jumps into the future quite a bit of time, and the character has been out of the coma for awhile (even though it's still affecting him in different ways... especially emotionally).

In the present, he has issues with drinking, and he's landed in jail a few times for public drunkenness. According to the back story I've come up with, a social worker has spoken on his behalf to the judge to get him to let the character off (as long as he did some kind of therapy).

But this is my first question. In the state of New York, would an adult in this character's situation have a social worker? If not a social worker, would a therapist be the one to step up and tell the judge to let him off with therapy?

The sequel begins with this social worker character bailing my character out of jail. But, again, I'm not sure if this is realistic. I was going to play it off like the social worker had become personally involved (friendship wise, nothing more) and cared about his well being that she would do this for him. But I don't know if this comes off realistically.

My questions are:

1) Do adults have social workers? My character was a minor when he went into the coma in the state of PA... but now he lives in the state of NY, and he's 29 years old. He's had issues with the law for probably the last two years of his life (so only as an adult). Therefore, in my back story right now, the social worker character has only been around for maybe a year or two.

2) If a character is arrested for disorderly conduct in the state of NY, does he automatically spend the night in jail? Can a social worker or therapist bail him out? Does it help that the social worker is dating the desk sergeant at the jail?

3) After that initial night in jail, would it be considered a "hearing" that the character would have to attend? Or would he attend a trial about the disorderly conduct?

4) Would it be realistic that, at this hearing/trial, the judge would say... "This is your third count of disorderly conduct. I'm sentencing you to jail time." But then the social worker speaks on the character's behalf and convinces the judge to let the character try a new form of therapy?

Thank you in advance to anyone who has some suggestions!

-Rachel