Obsessive compulsive- or something owed to the reader?

DuncanClinch

Registered
Reaction score
How much effort can you put into devising a setting for a story before you start getting just plain strange?

When I wrote a children’s novel a couple of years ago I used the spreadsheet function of Open Office to create a giant sheet of graph paper that I could draw on by adding a background color for the cells. I created a floor plan for the house that the main characters live in. Then I laid out the farm that they live on. Then I did a map for the small town that was next to the farm. I did everything to a certain scale. Then I used a city directory from a real small town from the time period of my story to figure out what kinds of businesses the town would have. Then I identified the same kind of businesses that existed in the city where I live at roughly the same time period and whose buildings still exist so I could get property tax records to know how much land area each business would take up in my fictional town. This helped me maintain a sense of distance for when the characters needed to move about and the map helped me describe the town and remember where things are so I wouldn’t confuse the details.

I wanted the character names to be authentic for the story's time period, so I consulted a Social Security database for common first names based on the decade that the characters were born based on their age at the time of the story. For last names I used the names of congressmen and senators who have come from the part of the country where my story is set.

Was this too much effort for a children’s story?

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
As long as all of this helps you, none of it was wasted. As long as not ALL of that ends up in the story, then you're fine. A convincing setting is absolutely what you're striving for, but the key is to give the reader just enough to that they can fill in the rest themselves. You should not be taking every last shred of research you did and putting it on the page for people to read, because then your setting is bogging down everything else, especially your pacing.

But if all of this is helping you instantly recall just the right detail at the just the right time to add that extra little bit of verisimilitude, and you enjoy doing it, then there's no reason not to keep doing it.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking that it should be adjusted to the story's needs. If your story involves the children following clues all over town, or interacting with everyone for some reason, yes, it's useful, but, as Shoeless says, does the reader need to know all of it?
And, if your story is about some children spending the summer amusing themselves by building a camp in their back yard, or dealing with problems at school, be aware that much of what you are doing is for your own amusement. Whether that's a good use of your time or not is up to you.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Was it too much? That's up to you to decide. If you feel that getting into great detail on setting helped you write a better story, then it wasn't "too much." Everyone has their own process, and nothing is right or wrong.

But the way your question was phrased--"Was this too much effort for a children's story?"--struck me rather forcibly. If you feel that stories intended for children don't require as much attention and effort as stories for adults because they're just for kids, then maybe this isn't your type of fiction to write. Children deserve stories of the highest quality we can give them, or how else will they become readers as adults?

gmwhitley

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gmwhitley.com
I think that your knowledge of all that information, if it helps you picture your characters interacting with the world and if used to make the story-world deeper and more real to the reader, then bravo. Echo the comments above that whether the reader needs to know all that information is a good question to ask yourself.

I had to create a timeline for my trilogy which was set in 2075 because I had snippets of news/pop culture clippings from the past at the beginning of each chapter - so I had to keep track of when certain major events happened and the progression of the future toward the world I was writing about.

I find that Scrivener is a fantastic tool for storing all of this behind-the-scenes stuff!