In a predicament...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vicky271

Registered
Reaction score
I started a novel last week, and everything was going fine. I got a brainwave this morning. It involved cutting down all the extra's and setting right into the story. Now i can't concentrate on what i have because my mind flashes to this new idea. If I went with the new idea, i'd have to scrap everything I wrote.

I'm in a predicament, and i'd appreciate any advice.

underpope

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.underpope.com
Write the new idea down on a scrap of paper (or in a scratch file on your computer) and store it in a secure location. It'll still be there when you're done with your novel.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I started a novel last week, and everything was going fine. I got a brainwave this morning. It involved cutting down all the extra's and setting right into the story. Now i can't concentrate on what i have because my mind flashes to this new idea. If I went with the new idea, i'd have to scrap everything I wrote.

I'm in a predicament, and i'd appreciate any advice.
If it's only a week since you started, I'd save what you have in one folder and move on into the newer idea. Give it a week, see if it hatches into something. If it doesn't, you've only lost a week (and you'll have gained other insights).

Status
Not open for further replies.