• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Course/Critique] The Writers' Academy

bin_b0x

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried Penguin's Writer's Academy, in particular their 'Constructing a Novel' course. What do you think of it, and if I were to enrol it in it, would it be worth mentioning as an accolade in a query to a literary agent?

Any information you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just wanted to know if anyone has ever tried Penguin's Writer's Academy, in particular their 'Constructing a Novel' course. What do you think of it,

I don't know much about it but I would assume that PRH would not put its name to a course which wasn't any good. Courses are, of course, only as good as the people who teach and take them, so check up on the tutors and see if you like what you find out.

and if I were to enrol it in it, would it be worth mentioning as an accolade in a query to a literary agent?

When you query agents you query a finished work (if it's fiction, which I assume it is as you're asking about a novel-writing course). They usually aren't that interested in the courses you've taken, just in the book you've written. If your book isn't good enough to interest agents, the course won't change their mind.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
As for Penguin being an okay entity, I'll remind people of their merger with AuthorHouse/Author Solutions. Money flows in one direction, and it is not toward that bunch, even if it is a different division.

Anyone can offer a "course" in writing, but the same information is free if you take the same amount of time to look around on the Net. AW is certainly going to be superior to anything this place can offer, if only for "Learn Writing With Uncle Jim." The countless Sticky Notes are gold for the taking. I wish this place had been around when I started out!

Then there is the wholly free stuff available on SFWA: http://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/

And freebie advice and workshops on Harlequin (not just for romance, but for all writing). http://www.soyouthinkyoucanwrite.com/category/writers-workshop/

Plus the blogs of writers, agents, and editors that you can't help but trip over when doing a basic Google search. They're all into paying it forward!

The only difference is you don't get bragging rights to say you completed a course that's going to charge you a buttload of money to take.

As has been pointed out, no editor is going to be impressed by that. It's as bad as saying "My mom loved this!" Editors will only notice if another editor paid you for your words, period. I know several who don't bother reading cover letters and go straight to the submission first. If they like the writing, they will ask for more and check your resume. If they don't then they move on to the next submission.

Reputable or not, I recommend some Google Fu, use the resources of AW, and reading your local library. (All of it, don't stint!) You'll come out smarter and it's free.

From the site:

For an additional £150, graduates of The Writers’ Academy can also choose to submit a piece of work of up to 3,000 words for review. This work will be edited and critiqued by a Penguin Random House Editor, who will also provide you with detailed feedback and tips.

For a mere $10.00US I know an experienced author and editor who will give a thorough critique of those same 3,000 words. If she thinks you're not ready for it, she refunds payment. PM me for a link if you like.

It is tempting to want to pay a LOT for feedback, perhaps with the idea that the more you pay the better it will be. But remember it is to be had for FREE right here on AW. You benefit from multiple writers pitching in, not just one.

Again, I wish AW had been around when I started out!

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
As for Penguin being an okay entity, I'll remind people of their merger with AuthorHouse/Author Solutions.

Huh? Parent company Pearson did own AS for a while (bought '12, sold '16), but at no time did it merge with Penguin and/or Random House.

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
To be fair, Penguin's name was used often through out their association with AH/AS and I'm sure I remember (during their time together) Author Solutions drawing attention to their affiliation with the Penguin name (as a draw for writers)
An old PW article using the Penquin name https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw...dismissal-of-potential-class-action-suit.html

From another older PW article: "Last year Penguin was the first conventional publisher to launch its own self-publishing service, Book Country, and they’ve followed that landmark venture with the acquisition of Author Solutions, a self-publishing firm with around 1,600 employees, revenue of just under $100 million in 2011 and that that has published nearly 200,000 books by more than 150,000 authors in print and e-book formats. The company has net income of $4.2 million laat year. Author Solutions also partners with about six other houses—Thomas Nelson and Hay House among them—to provide “white label” self-publishing services and both Makinson and Weiss said those ASI partnerships will continue."

Last edited:

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Hi there,

I don't know the program, but I agree with those who cited the previous relationship with Author House. Sorry to say it, especially since Viking/Penguin is my publisher, but this could be another attempt to monetize aspiring writers' hopes and dreams. If the course is offered by Penguin, some writers will assume that Penguin editors will be keeping an eye on it, ready to swoop in and acquire any promising work.

Doesn't work like that, of course. Separate enterprises, separate staff, and Penguin only looks at agented material.

At least this enterprise may be of some benefit to writers, as opposed to Author House. Writing is a craft like any other, and there is a lot that can be taught. I looked at the creds of the teachers, and they are legit. But how large are the classes? How much individual feedback do you get? How much of your work, if any, can you submit for critique? What happens if you start the course and realize it's not right for you---can you withdraw and get your money back?

You might want to look at this list of criteria for choosing a writing teacher and ask some questions before deciding. (Scroll down on the landing page for the piece.) If you're interested in an alternative to Penguin's classes, you might consider one of mine, which I keep very small in order to provide maximum feedback.

As for mentioning to agents: having been an agent for 14 years, I promise you the agent will not care about courses you take. All that matters is what's on the page, not how you arrived at it...unless you went to Iowa or one of the other very competitive M.A. programs. In that case your work is likely to get looked at sooner and considered seriously---but your degree will not affect the decision of whether or not to offer representation.

Good luck!

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
My mistake, sorry! I did a search and what I found seemed to confirm it. I'll blame my meds! :)

S'alright. Just wanted to clarify, cuz otherwise we get stuff like the PW article. :-/

ctripp

Christine Tripp
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinetripp.com
Yes CaoPaux, I'm sure all the confusion over the co. names was Pearson buying it but adding it TO Penguin. And so a lot of articles, even in WSJ, refer to PenguinRandomHouse (dropping Pearson all together at times)