Should I do this?

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
My MC is an amputee who loses her arm. There is a prosthetist who is familiar with the prosthetic my MC will get. I am thinking of contacting him to ask some questions. What do patients think of this model? Is it hard to use? How does it function compared to a natural arm? I have looked online for basic research but want to be as accurate as possible. I am not an amputee.

However I had a bad experience with a doctor I met with regarding me having surgery. He was the rudest most awful person and treated me like I was a complete waste of time. And this was for something important. I am worried about the same treatment if I contact the prosthetist with my research questions. Thoughts?

Casey Karp

Registered
Reaction score
Website
koiscribblings.com
Not to put too fine a point on it, doctors are people. Some people are helpful, some aren't. And some are just assholes. And some don't want to be research resources for some random writer they've never heard of. It happens.

I've had good and bad experiences doing research and contacting people in many fields.

If you need the information, ask. The worst that happens is that you get turned down. (Need I mention that if you get turned down, you should take it politely?)

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Should you ask someone for research help? Yep. It's scary, I know, especially if you don't do phone calls well (I don't). But the extra detail is sooo worth it.

I'm the type of person who would seek out veteran groups on FB and ask there if anyone has this type of arm, and would they be willing to talk with me. You could aslo reach out to the manufacturer and see if they can connect you with someone.

Reprobate Typewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I definitely think it's worth asking. I mean, the person can't any worse than say no, and since you already don't have the information, that's not much of a punishment. I'd also get a list of more-than-one people to ask, because it's easier to hear no, if you already have other people in mind to ask.
Plus, since prosthetics are so detailed, it might be something he can do while he's matching skin tones, or painting eyeballs or whatever. (I'd recommend the video I watched, if I could remember a name.) He has a lot of work he could do while he's talking.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't as a first option, unless he was a personal friend. I'd try to find a way through the marketing division og the company. They ought to have info available. Research is important to us, less so to the prosthetist.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
How about contacting the authors of the research you found? They might be more willing to discuss and share because they're already establishing themselves as experts in the field rather than just focusing on treating patients.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
There are a few of us here who are physicians and are happy to help. Sorry the one you contacted was a jerk. It happens. However I have very little experience with limb prostheses other than they are extremely expensive, like new car expensive even for relatively low tech versions.