Wild about wild flowers.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I am hoping that this is the right spot for this. I know we have gardening threads and photography threads but this isn't really about hands on stuff, it is about sharing our world with our friends.

I live in a flat dry place so any spot of color is welcome, especially in August. But my love of wild flowers isn't just about the familiars; it goes back as far as I can remember and covers, not only the places I have lived in or visited, but the wildflowers that haunt the literature that I have read over the years--for example Garcia Lorca's Jupiter's beard or William Carlos Williams' wild carrot or Daphne Du Maurier and her bluebells and primroses.

Mainly though, I'd like to share the wildflowers in your world. What is blooming now, what appeals to you, what memories you have. Let's try to do this without pictures, if possible. We are writers first.

Right now, at the end of summer, all of our (western Kansas) wildflowers have turned yellow or white--wild carrot, mill foil, jimson weed. The tickseed-- plains coreopsis-- is especially rich this summer: hundreds and hundreds of dainty, dime sized, yellow and brown daisies on wiry stems. The plants grow no more than a foot or so high. They make long, waving, yellow ribbons that border blue fields of alfalfa, wind through pastures and alongside roads and highways, bobbing in the wind and stealing the show from the sunflowers. --s6

Last edited:

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What thrives around here these August days of wretched humidity is mold, mildew, and my allergic reaction!

Though I have many fond memories involving flowers, a striking memory for me comes from a plaque at Brookgreen Gardens in Murrells Inlet, SC:

I used to love my Garden,
But now my love is dead;​
I found a Bachelor’s Button
In Black-Eyed Susan’s Bed. ~ Unknown​