Time it takes your agent to read subsequent manuscripts?

UltraViolette

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

The title says it all :) For those with agents, how long does it take your agent to read subsequent manuscripts?

And to add further to the question: If they wanted to represent the new manuscript, did they read fast, and vice versa?

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It really depends with my agent. I've sent him 3 completed MSs after the initial MS went into subs.

MS #1 took him around 6 weeks to read, I believe.
MS #2 took him hmm...almost 10 weeks? But he told me he was going into surgery and would have to take some time to recover, so I wasn't sitting around biting my nails.
MS #3 took him 2 weeks to read, but I was supremely excited about it and I think my excitement got him all excited to read it.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Typically about two weeks. Unless he's sick or working on a contract or at a convention or something (all of which have happened before and then it's been more like 4-6 weeks). But (and I've said this before) I usually give him a heads up that I'll be sending the MS a couple weeks ahead of time so I'm not dropping 500 pages on him out of the blue.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
About to find out with New Agent Lady, but since she's talking about going out on sub some time in September with this new ms., then I assume it'll be under four weeks. Former Agent Lady could take 8+ weeks just to respond to emails. :(

UltraViolette

Registered
Reaction score
Marissa, yours has talked to you about plans to take it out on sub? That's wonderful! I'm not even sure if my agent is going to like this new ms. Glad you've got yourself a more communicative agent than the last!

UltraViolette

Registered
Reaction score
Though my agent's assistant was aware weeks beforehand that I was nearly ready to send the new ms, I've since realized I should have better prepared my agent for its arrival because he seemed surprised to receive it. Maybe it would have spared me from some of the waiting.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Though my agent's assistant was aware weeks beforehand that I was nearly ready to send the new ms, I've since realized I should have better prepared my agent for its arrival because he seemed surprised to receive it. Maybe it would have spared me from some of the waiting.

Different agents do things a little differently. Mine is the only agent and his client list is fairly small. He has an assistant, but it seems he (the agent) handles his correspondence himself. It doesn't mean that it's any better than how your agent does things, but there is some learning what the wait times are like once you start working with someone.

Regardless of how quickly I hear back, I usually spend that time working on something else. Maybe not a new novel, although I have a few shelf-novels I work on when I get time because they are still a little on the ambitious side for my skills, but a short story or novella. Or just looking through notes I might have for other projects I want to do at some point. It keeps me busy and helps the nerves quite a bit, for me. (Some folks do better with just taking a short break before picking something back up again.)

UltraViolette

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm trying to focus on positive things while I wait to hear back so that I'm not a ball of nerves. I am still learning what it's like to have an agent, particularly when working on a project that's not the one the agent signed me on.

Adelle

Registered
Reaction score
2-3 weeks for my agent. I don't usually warn him, so that's pretty reasonable, I think. Especially since he has a fair amount of clients. o.o