PDA

View Full Version : Starting a business: "Press" vs "Publishing"

pattmayne
08-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Hi all.

I registered a business here in Ontario so that my self-published books (and other creative activities intended to make money) can all be organized as functions of this business.

I called it "Spiral Machines Productions," because I'll be making music and publishing books and doing web design and some programming stuff, so "productions" is better than something more specific.

My question is, when I publish a book is there any legal reason why I shouldn't say "Spiral Machines Press" as just a subset of the general production company? I could just publish books as "Spiral Machines Productions," but it somehow seems cooler to call it a Press.

Also, is there a difference between "press" and "publishing?" Technically I'm not pressing anything. I'm publishing. So maybe that would be a better way to go.

Thanks all.

Maryn
08-08-2017, 10:21 PM
Before someone else can reply, I'm afraid I have to note that we do not--cannot--allow anyone to give legal advice here. The repercussions for the site and its owner are too large for that to be allowed. What if someone gave you incorrect advice and you were sued? We can't let AW be in any way responsible.

So, old song, verse two: Please see an attorney to get your question(s) answered.

Meanwhile, I wish you the best in this venture!

WeaselFire
08-08-2017, 10:21 PM
Up to you. Press, Publishing and Productions are used by many publishers, especially if they do multiple types of publications, including ebook and audio.

Jeff

Laer Carroll
08-09-2017, 01:43 AM
Legal questions should be asked of an attorney, and an attorney who specializes in the area you are concerned about, not just any attorney. What follows is a suggestion about practicalities.

Your overall business as you described it has several tributaries. Each with have its own income input/output flow. It might be better for tax and practical purposes to divide them into subsidiaries as (for instance) Spiral Machines Music, SM Web Design, SM Practical Programming, and SM Press. Or Spiral Machine Publishing if for some reason you dislike the word Press.

As for the press part, few publishers have their own printing operation. Harper Collins and Simon & Schuster, for instance, outsource their books, magazines, and so on to larger dedicated printing companies, including Four Color Print Group in China and Malaysia, which also owns several US companies. These printing companies are often huge, cover an entire city block or more, have hundreds of full-time workers, and deal with a flood of books, magazines, and so on 24/7 demanding highly sophisticated scheduling software to interleave all the work efficiently.