RIP @midnight

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had to say goodbye to a show in a while. Even though I know I'm missing out on participating in the hashtag wars for the last episode, I'm putting off watching what's left on my DVR so I can pretend it's still there. After Colbert wrapped up his satire, this was where I got my news without getting upset about the news.

So RIP, @midnight. Thank you for four seasons of joy.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The way Comedy Central moved it to a more-censored time slot after they canceled Larry Wilmore (which I liked reasonably well) probably hastened its death.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Wilmore (really annoyed they cancelled that show). As for @Midnight, when Colbert hit his stride, @Midnight just couldn't compete.

My current favorites are Samantha Bee, Stephen Colbert, Jon Oliver, and Trevor Noah, in that order.

It's interesting to watch Jimmy Fallon using the standard monologue joke style used by Johnny Carson and Jay Leno: tell a straight line followed with the joke. It's so stale compared to Colbert's delivery style. Fallon has incredible talent but it needs an overhaul to compete with Colbert.

JetFueledCar

tiny hedgehog
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Wilmore (really annoyed they cancelled that show). As for @Midnight, when Colbert hit his stride, @Midnight just couldn't compete.

My current favorites are Samantha Bee, Stephen Colbert, Jon Oliver, and Trevor Noah, in that order.

It's interesting to watch Jimmy Fallon using the standard monologue joke style used by Johnny Carson and Jay Leno: tell a straight line followed with the joke. It's so stale compared to Colbert's delivery style. Fallon has incredible talent but it needs an overhaul to compete with Colbert.

Eh. I love Colbert's opening monologue and will watch several of them in a row, but I don't enjoy interviews relating to pop culture. I don't have the background on these people to care about the interviews, and the interviews mostly don't make me laugh, so I don't watch. I *love* Colbert, don't get me wrong. But I don't have the same love for most of his guests, and it's a rare day that I've even heard of two of the people he's interviewing.

I will have to check out Samantha Bee, though. I've seen some of her, I think? Or at least have seen previews for her shows.

Trevor Noah we record and I love, but his show takes much more attention, and I'm always lacking in that. I look away from the screen so much when I watched Moana for the second time there was an entire plot point I'd missed.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eh. I love Colbert's opening monologue and will watch several of them in a row, but I don't enjoy interviews relating to pop culture. I don't have the background on these people to care about the interviews, and the interviews mostly don't make me laugh, so I don't watch. I *love* Colbert, don't get me wrong. But I don't have the same love for most of his guests, and it's a rare day that I've even heard of two of the people he's interviewing.

I will have to check out Samantha Bee, though. I've seen some of her, I think? Or at least have seen previews for her shows.

Trevor Noah we record and I love, but his show takes much more attention, and I'm always lacking in that. I look away from the screen so much when I watched Moana for the second time there was an entire plot point I'd missed.

Yeah, Colbert is stuck with good guests and not so interesting guests. He does make the best of it most of the time. Same with Trevor Noah, the guests can be great, or not.

You so have to watch Samantha Bee, she really excelled after The Daily Show.

Here are a couple examples of Full Frontal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkw5327Jz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JVGx-hvY9I

There's more to a full program than her monologue.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely Samantha Bee. She's the best at socio-political material currently on the air, IMO, closely followed by John Oliver, with Trevor Noah and Steven Colbert tied for a distant third. On their good nights, both can be excellent, but they have too many not-as-good nights.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Anybody now when John Oliver is back on air?

He's been back since last week. He comes on tonight too.

Yeah, I am still pissed off they canned Larry's show. I don't watch Colbert or Samantha Bee. But, I do love John Oliver and Trevor Noah. I'm annoyed the Daily Show is going to be off for two weeks. And you know the juicy parts of news are going to hit when they go on break. It never fails!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the problem with Wilmore's show was that with Trevor Noah at the helm of The Daily Show, their shows covered too much of the same material, although the focus on Black America was more solid on Wilmore. Way too many nights, Mr. Maryn and I would roll our eyes that two shows on the same channel, aired back to back, were doing similar treatment on the same stories. But I sure miss Wilmore, plus Mike Yard and Holly Walker, my favorites. I understand Yard has a podcast, but I've never seen it.

Maryn, nostaligic

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
I think the problem with Wilmore's show was that with Trevor Noah at the helm of The Daily Show, their shows covered too much of the same material, although the focus on Black America was more solid on Wilmore. Way too many nights, Mr. Maryn and I would roll our eyes that two shows on the same channel, aired back to back, were doing similar treatment on the same stories. But I sure miss Wilmore, plus Mike Yard and Holly Walker, my favorites. I understand Yard has a podcast, but I've never seen it.

Maryn, nostaligic

I'm still pissed off about though.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, me too. Rather than killing Larry's excellent show, couldn't they have found another time slot?