• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Hallmark Publishing

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
Here's a little more info from the launch announcement:

"CROWN MEDIA FAMILY NETWORKS LAUNCHES NEW BUSINESS VENTURE,HALLMARK PUBLISHING,A DIGITAL PUBLISHING COMPANY THAT EXPANDS CROWN MEDIA FAMILY NETWORKS’ ACCESS TO ORIGINAL CONTENTHallmark Publishing to Release First Novelizations in 2017 BEVERLY HILLS, CA – July 27, 2017 –

In an effort to expand its burgeoning content ecosystem, Crown Media Family Networks will launch its first-ever publishing company, Hallmark Publishing. Hallmark Publishing will launch first as an eBook division and is currently open to submissions of original manuscripts to be published as novels. Conversely, Hallmark Publishing will also create novelizations of previously aired original movie favorites from Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movies & Mysteries. The first novelizations will be released in 2017. The announcement was made today as part of Crown Media Family Network’s bi-annual TV Critics Association Summer Press Tour.“We are storytellers,” said Stacey Donovan, Director, Hallmark Publishing.

“The launch of an eBook division to create content through the Hallmark lens, and which potentially works across a variety of platforms and touch points, is a very exciting development because quality storytelling is the heart of our more than 100-year-old brand,” Donovan concluded.

Hallmark Publishing is currently accepting author submissions for original manuscripts in the categories of wholesome romance and cozy mysteries with a focus on stories that celebrate relationships and life-affirming moments. A novel published by Hallmark Publishing may receive a green light to become a new original movie or series for Crown Media Family Networks’ three linear television services: Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries or Hallmark Drama, or original screenplays may be novelized to lean into additional content for fans.“Hallmark Publishing is a natural expansion of our content ecosystem,” said Chad Harris,Senior Vice President, New Business Development, Crown Media Family Networks (home of Hallmark Channel, Hallmark Movies & Mysteries and Hallmark Drama). “With authors writing original novels that may be made into entertainment for a variety of vehicles, or by selecting our most popular original TV content and novelizing it to include epilogues, character journeys and backstories, we are satisfying consumer desire to engage with Hallmark content in a deeper way,”Harris concluded."

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but the focus on the potential of a novel published with them getting picked up for production on one of their cable networks seems a bit...not misleading but off? I wish I could describe it better but that carrot being dangled in front of potential authors feels like it's a bit too early in the process. :e2shrug:

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but the focus on the potential of a novel published with them getting picked up for production on one of their cable networks seems a bit...not misleading but off? I wish I could describe it better but that carrot being dangled in front of potential authors feels like it's a bit too early in the process. :e2shrug:

I agree. It's a little too wonderful to be true. Am I making any sense? I mean, I would love to have my book turned into a Hallmark movie or something along that line, but I'm frightened about all the hidden terms and conditions in the contract itself.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score

ITA, since they go through production companies to launch their movies and the production companies find the scripts, purchase them on the cheap and produce in a package of mid-high 6 figures with writer getting a few thousand. A writer on donedeal sold a deal to them and wrote about it. I know b/c I've been trying to sell a screenplay to them for a year + now.

Last edited:

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
How much did the writer get? I'm doing a script right now, not something they'd interested in. More in the line of paranormal, but I did submit a romance/suspense novel to them. I figured, what do I have to lose? They've been around for a long time.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
How much did the writer get? I'm doing a script right now, not something they'd interested in. More in the line of paranormal, but I did submit a romance/suspense novel to them. I figured, what do I have to lose? They've been around for a long time.

I believe she rcvd. $15,000. Apparently they have the lowest rates b/c they don't always use WGA writers.

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
I believe she rcvd. $15,000. Apparently they have the lowest rates b/c they don't always use WGA writers.

Do they look at unagented scripts? It sounds the publishing arm will take unagented manuscripts.

I don't have either an appropriate MS OR a script, but this is something I've considered in the past.

Splendor

Registered
Reaction score
Do they look at unagented scripts? It sounds the publishing arm will take unagented manuscripts.

I don't have either an appropriate MS OR a script, but this is something I've considered in the past.

I'm not sure about that.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From their corporate website:

The Hallmark Hall of Fame does not accept unsolicited material. If you have a story, idea or project that you feel could work for the Hallmark Hall of Fame, please have it submitted through a licensed literary agent.

It is the Hallmark Channel’s policy not to accept or consider unsolicited ideas, proposals and/or other creative materials (e.g. scripts, treatments, stories, etc.).

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That link is for the book publishing arm, which will accept mss without an agent. Otherwise, Hallmark won't even look at your work.

Last edited:

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
Just to let you all know, I received an e-mail this morning, to let me know they read my story and found it not to be what they are looking for. they wished me well. It took 5 weeks for a reply from them.

UghSoUncool

Registered
Reaction score
bumping this thread in case anyone has any new info, too! :) I was interested in submitting something to them and wanted to see how the submission process went for anyone else (with a recent submission)?

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
From what I understand, they're closing to unagented submissions shortly. They're also pretty much a work-for-hire publisher--flat fee, no royalties, they own the copyright; with a second payment if indeed they decide to make your book into a movie.