Former US Pres. Security Detail

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I should be working on my WIP novel, but a few ideas for a shorter piece have grabbed me and won't let go, until I get at least a rough draft down on paper.

May I therefore ask for some assistance from members, who might know about US Secret Service protocols.

I have in mind that a former president wants to make a quiet, unannounced, stop at an exclusive shop selling antiques. USSS case the joint and it is mostly occupied by elderly types. The one exception is an off duty FBI agent. FBI guy is armed. FBI agent is known to one of the president's detail, who can vouch for him. Can anyone answer the following, please?

Would the president's detail let their charge enter the antique shop under these circumstances, or would they be inclined to drive him around the block a couple of times, until the FBI agent and his firearm have cleared out?

Would they be more inclined to ask FBI guy if he would mind taking a hike?

Would they ask FBI guy to surrender his weapon?

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
The Secret Service and the FBI are on the same team. If they knew him to be off duty and armed, they might want to verify his credentials, and if they felt uncomfortable at any point in time they might move on, but in no circumstance would they ask a Federal law enforcement officer or military personnel under orders to surrender their weapons, nor would the former or the latter be willing to do so if asked.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I should be working on my WIP novel, but a few ideas for a shorter piece have grabbed me and won't let go, until I get at least a rough draft down on paper.

May I therefore ask for some assistance from members, who might know about US Secret Service protocols.

I have in mind that a former president wants to make a quiet, unannounced, stop at an exclusive shop selling antiques. USSS case the joint and it is mostly occupied by elderly types. The one exception is an off duty FBI agent. FBI guy is armed. FBI agent is known to one of the president's detail, who can vouch for him. Can anyone answer the following, please?

Would the president's detail let their charge enter the antique shop under these circumstances, or would they be inclined to drive him around the block a couple of times, until the FBI agent and his firearm have cleared out?

Would they be more inclined to ask FBI guy if he would mind taking a hike?

Would they ask FBI guy to surrender his weapon?

Why would they care if a known FBI agent is there? He's an FBI agent. That's a good thing.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
Why would they care if a known FBI agent is there? He's an FBI agent. That's a good thing.

Well, I agree an FBI guy should be a good thing, and looking at it logically they are both part of the same team, but I wonder if the secret service people would be territorial, even paranoid, of someone not expressly part of their organisation. A someone who is armed.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I agree an FBI guy should be a good thing, and looking at it logically they are both part of the same team, but I wonder if the secret service people would be territorial, even paranoid, of someone not expressly part of their organisation.

If they're conducting an investigation, maybe. If they're walking down the street and see someone? No. Also, they have no power to tell an agent to give up his weapon, that he's required to be carrying -- that's fucked up and he'd likely report them.

ironmikezero

Registered
Reaction score
Without going into specifics, the known/recognized FBI Special Agent would be approached by the advance team (identities confirmed via credentials) and so advised of a protection detail's imminent arrival. Generally speaking, the lone off-duty agent would defer to the detail's need to secure the room/area and remove himself to the outer perimeter. It's more than just professional courtesy; it's pragmatic and efficient.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does the president have Secret Service coverage? It's not mandatory and several ex-presidents have dismissed their Secret Service details in favor of private security.

Otherwise, FBI is not an issue.

Jeff

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I would think the Secret Service would want to have a word with the FBI agent, to make sure that he is off-duty, and not doing something undercover in the antiques shop, and maybe ask if the place is okay. Pretty sure the President would prefer not to buy something from a shop that's involved in drug smuggling, money laundering, etc.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
Why is SS/FBI protocol important in your scenario?

1. SS staff knows FBI agent is there.

2. Why does SS staff know the FBI agent is there? Personal friendship? Department outreach?

3. What is the consequence of the FBI agent being in that store?

It sounds like this whole thing is pivotal in your scene. I think we need a little more information.

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
No, it's not. He's correct in that it's refusable.

Then take it up with the Secret Service department. According to them, it is mandatory for the President and Vice President.

Who does the Secret Service Protect?

Permanent protectees, such as the President and Vice President, have special agents permanently assigned to them. Temporary protectees, such as presidential and vice presidential candidates/nominees and foreign heads of state, are staffed with special agents on temporary assignment from U.S. Secret Service field offices. Protection for the President and Vice President of the United States is mandatory. All other individuals entitled to Secret Service protection may decline security if they choose.

Title 18 of the United States Code, Section 3056, describes the agency’s authority as provided by law. Since the U.S. Secret Service’s protective mission began in 1901, the agency’s jurisdiction has expanded to meet the needs of an evolving security environment.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Then take it up with the Secret Service department. According to them, it is mandatory for the President and Vice President.

Who does the Secret Service Protect?

Permanent protectees, such as the President and Vice President, have special agents permanently assigned to them. Temporary protectees, such as presidential and vice presidential candidates/nominees and foreign heads of state, are staffed with special agents on temporary assignment from U.S. Secret Service field offices. Protection for the President and Vice President of the United States is mandatory. All other individuals entitled to Secret Service protection may decline security if they choose.

Title 18 of the United States Code, Section 3056, describes the agency’s authority as provided by law. Since the U.S. Secret Service’s protective mission began in 1901, the agency’s jurisdiction has expanded to meet the needs of an evolving security environment.

No kidding, but no one is talking about them.