How can this change to human reproduction be made feasible?

nyalathotep

Registered
Reaction score
There was a culture I read about that i forget the name of that understood human biology to be very different from what we know today. This was a matrilineal culture which believed that men did not pass on their genes, but a piece of their spirit. The spirit was the life force of a human being which kept the body alive. It possessed the consciousness of a person; morals, values, strengths, etc. This would be passed on from the father to his offspring while the mother would pass on her characteristics through her genes. This culture saw a difference between the biological father (genitor) and the social father (pater). The genitor was basically a sperm donor who had no parent obligations to the child. The pater was usually a cousin or brother of the mother, and would be charged with helping her take care of the child.

Reproduction doesn't work this way, but I wanted to make it a reality for this setting. What would be a good way to incorporate this concept into human biology? Should both parents pass on something different to the child? Should I just chalk it up to my magical system?

gbondoni

Registered
Reaction score
If you're using a magical world, I'd recommend using the magical system as the explanation. Readers will accept that as part of the ground rules, especially because it gives them something interesting to read about!

But "sperm donor" seems to imply that the culture has some basis in our world, or at least access to some of the technology necessary to donate. So one way around that might be that the matrilineal powers-that-be have decided to do some gene editing to the baseline human genome wherein this "spirit" is the only part transmitted from the father.

Hope some of this is helpful!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like you're actually changing the way biological reproduction works, just the social structure of the family, and adding a magical component on top of it that affects the soul/spirit of a child that can work however you need it to work in your world?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Biologically it goes against the nature-nurture process but that would seem to me to be the thing you could work with.

Shirokirie

*Leers at you awkwardly*
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reproduction doesn't work this way, but I wanted to make it a reality for this setting. What would be a good way to incorporate this concept into human biology? Should both parents pass on something different to the child? Should I just chalk it up to my magical system?

... No. Make up a culture that believes exactly what you describe, and make them believe it so utterly hard that it seems real, and rooted in their reality. Much like how there's a culture in our world that believes that as truth.

If you indicate - not 'explain' (read: infodump) - this to be a core part of the world in question, and no one challenges that, it'll suck the reader into thinking that this is just a thing in/on derpherp planet/fictional world.

With that in mind, you don't have to focus on or explain "human biology", because unless it's "alien mechanics", there's no reason to.

ETA: Those responses you got on Stack Exchange... make no sense. Because they're needlessly convoluted.

Last edited:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If you can't explain it with science, don't try to explain it with science. Handwave the details and have it as just how things work. Readers will accept a lot of handwaving. They'll stop accepting it the moment you give a flawed scientific explanation, because it's like shining a spotlight on all the logical holes.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean Auel, the people (neanderthals, if I remember right) didn't connect having sex with having babies at all. They had other beliefs surrounding it, which was very believable because I'm sure cultures have always had their firmly believed explanations of things they didn't have accurate knowledge of. I don't think they paired of with one person anyway. And after all, there is nine months between cause and effect there. If you need more ideas on it, you might want to check it out.